Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 95 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Human resources management conters on the modern world of work with the emphasis on people which are the most critical and differentiating resources for achieving future desired by every organization. Labour being the production for not only the future success but also for the reinvention of organization.
For over the years
the issue of manpower’s care and development had received and continued to
receive less attention from the management of most organizations, inspire of th
evital role they play in the realization f the firm’s objectives.
In some of the organizations, the staff are not paid as at when due, some work late hours after the closure of work without overtime payment, while some serve for many years without promotion. Thus resulting in port attitude to work by the affected staff. When you observe some able bodied youthful individuals wearing a sullen look, typists sleeping o their typewriters, secretaries enageing in idle gossip with other colleagues, middle management engaging in chat over groundnuts, bananas and oranges and in some cases reading their handouts, it shows they are not satisfied on their job. This equally convinces one that there is the need for better human resources management and utilization.
The banking industry especially Union Bank of Nigeria Plc., is not left out in this trend. Here emphasis is placed on capital and material resources instead of human beings. This is evident when there is a robbery incident in any of the branches and money is removed the management will not be concerned about the safety and or welfare of the affected staff. Instead they will be seriously disturbed about the cash and equipment stolen by the bandits, despite the fact that staff may have gotten some bullet wounds. Often times in such situations, the management will lock-up some staff with the police while investigation are carried out as for when and how the incident occurred. Again there is this jargon in the bank which says “Cash Firs” showing that cash and other resources are proffered to human beings.
Some members of management recommend only their relations for further training or promotion at the expense of other staff. Most of the staff stay over 8 years without promotion and self actualization does not receive immediate reward. Some work very late in the office daily without proceeding on annual leave, thus resulting frequent visits to hospitals, and the resultant increase in staff medical bills. Some managers lack the required motivate employees. For this reason, people behave as they like, absenteism, poor attitude to work, and strike actions become the order of the day. Some of the staff who could not endure this ugly phenomenon are forced by circumstance to resign their appointment. These posted for counter services pay less attention to the customers, hence they keep them waiting longer than necessary.
Poor supervision is practiced in every department and the supervisor is most unwilling to supervise. He has a non-chalet attitude to his work, consequently the entire organization suffer some commercial banks maltreat their work force by embarking on outright sack of their members of staff, thus leaving them in the labour market without money, gratuity, and without hope. In such a place, job insecurity abounds as workers discharges their duties with fear. They are in constant fear and doubt as to whether services will still be needed in the next hour.
In 1998, Union Bank embarked on a re-engineering and repositioning exercise where in they instituted a voluntary retirement scheme which was the exit of 2500 staff of the Bank. Though this scheme favoured the staff concerned, these therefore left the bank with few workers to attend to the numerous banking activities consequently, counter services become so tasking that one person now do the work originally meant for three persons before the reengineering exercise.
It is generally believed that banking enjoy good working conditions, and are well cared for in all its ramifications. But one would want to know the truth in this assertion. What really is the position of human resources management in commercial Banks especially union Banks of Nigeria?
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
The human resources
factor is indeed an essential factor in the making of any business
organization. But unfortunately, this all important resources inspite of the
vital role it plays in the realization of the firms objectives, is being
neglected as more emphasis is placed on capital and material resources instead
of on human beings. In Union Bank of Nigeria the same problem of staff neglect
inadequate care for staff, and constant conflict between superiors and their
subordinates, are lice which has eaten deep into the big, strong and reliable
bank. The central issues therefore revolves ground the following:
1. It has been doubtful on the nature of relationship existing between superior and their subordinates as it regard human resources management in Commercial Banks.
2. It has been difficult to understand why many workers do resign from the banking industry.
3. It has been difficult to determine the nature of the causes of fraudulent practice by bank staff.
4. The cause of constant industrial dispute in the bank
1.3 PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
This implies the aim
of the resources work. It therefore indicates the direction of the research and
what the study intends to achieve. The main purpose of this study is to
ascertain how the human factors the workers are cared for and or managed in
Union Bank of Nigeria Plc to achieve its set goods. This study therefore aim
1. Determine the kind o relations that exist between superiors and their subordinate
2. Determine why more people resign from the banking industries.
3. know why and the extend of staff involvement in fraudulent activities within the banking sector.
4. ascertain the position of industrial relations in the bank.
1.4 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The scope of this project boarders on how welfare of workers is being handled in commercial banks, a case study of Union Bank f Nigeria Plc Enugu
1.5 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
In order to achieve
the objectives of this study, the following research questions were formulated.
1. How can you describe the relationship that exists between superiors and their subordinates in your bank?
2. what roles does
job satisfaction and motivation play towards the problem of bank
3. what are the problems of bank staff involvement in fraudulent activities?
4. what is the position of industrial relations in commercial bank with particular reference to Union Bank Plc?
1.6 NULL HYPOTHESIS (HO)
HO: There is no
significant deference (P>0.5) between the view of the superior and
subordinate on the existence of a good rapport among them.
HO2: There is no significant difference between the mean perception of junior and senior staff of Union Bank of Nigeria Plc Enugu at (P > 0.5) on job satisfaction and motivation as it avert the problem of bank staff resignation
H0¬3: There is no significant difference between the mean perception of junior and senior staff of the bank at (P < 0.5) whether bad management and non segregation of duties promotes bank fraud among staff?
HO4: There is no significant difference between the views of the senior and junior staff of Union Bank of Nigeria Plc at (P < 0.5) on whether there is good industrial relations among them.
1.7 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
This refers to the
importance or the usefulness of the research to both the public and the bank
itself. The importance of the study are:
1. To help the management of Union Bank of Nigeria Plc see areas of the workforce that needed urgent attention.
2. To enable the banks render good and efficient services to their customers.
3. It will help the bank adopt proper measures and means for checking of frauds.
4. it will help curtail the rate of industrial dispute in the banking industry.
5. It will lead to profitability when the issue of staff welfare is properly addressed.
6. It will enable other sectors see the need for more emphasis on staff care and development.
7. It will form a base to be relied upon by subsequent researchers who may wish to make further inquires into the cases and affect of bank frauds in Commercial Banks.
The importance of the research work cannot be over emphasized the ability of the Commercial Bank (especially Union Bank of Nigeria Plc) to perform its duties efficiently and effectively on human resources management. It will help both the management and the staff and the world at large.
1.8 DEFINITION OF TERMS
1. Egomaniacs: This
is the study of work and working conditions in order to improve people’s
2. Bandits: It implied group of armed gang that robs people of money materials or even life.
3. Industrial Relations: Means dealing between the employers and employees towards achievement of the organizational goals.
4. Human Resource: This involves the management of all the organization objective, it increase the wealth of an organization. According to (Image and Aurums 2000; 115) they said that human resource is indispensable, any organization require human resources from time to time due to changes in the work forces strategy technology and the environment of the organization concerned.
Armstrong, M. (2006).A Handbook of Human resource management practice. 10th edition.Cambridge University Press.
Boxall, P. & Purcell, J. (2003).Strategy and Human Resource Management. Basingstoke and New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
Guest, D. E. (1987).Human Resource Management and Industrial Relations.Journal of Management Studies, 24 (5), 503-521.
Hendry, C., & Pettigrew, A. (1990). Human resource management: An agenda for the 1990s. International Journal of Human Resource Management, 1, 17-43.
Lance, C. E. (1994). Test of a latent structure of performance ratings derived from Wherry’s (1952) theory of ratings. Journal of Management, 20, 757–771.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. AN ANALYSIS OF FOREIGN DIRECT INVESTMENT AND GROWTH OF THE COMMUNICATION SUBSECTOR: A STUDY OF NIGERIAN TELECOMMUNICATION INDUSTRY» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY “Statelessness does provide certain environmental advantages. Among the benefits are the ab...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY In every business organization including Nigerian Bottling Company, the performance of the employ...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study It is a well know fact that communication is all encompassing that cut across every species and w...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the study Performance measurement in practical and theoretical areas has received increasing attention in r...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE PROBLEM SETTING 1.0 Introduction Transport or transportation is the movement of people, animals, services and goods from one location to a...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND STUDY The workplace of the 21st century is a fast paced, dynamic, highly stimulating environment which brings ...Continue Reading »
7. AN EVALUATION OF ORGANISATIONAL CHANGE AND ITS IMPACT ON STAFF PRODUCTIVITY A CASE STUDY OF FRIST BANK PLC» ABSTRACT The research provides an evaluation of organizational change and its impact On staff productivity. It elucidates the concept of organizationa...Continue Reading »
8. A STUDY INTO THE MANAGEMENT OF EMPLOYEE GRIEVANCES IN AN ORGANISATION (A CASE STUDY OF SOME SELECTED FIRMS)» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY There are three basic things to manage in life and they are human resources, non human resources ...Continue Reading »
9. THE ROLE OF HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT IN PROMOTING INDUSTRIAL HARMONY IN NIGERIA BOTTLING COMPANY PLC KADUNA» ABSTRACT This study was intended to evaluate the function of human resource in promoting industrial harmony in Nigerian bottling company. The study wa...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT Impact of Manpower Training and Development is an important tool for improving Human power in both skills and orientation, many organizations...Continue Reading »