Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
UTI is a common bacterial infection that affects components of the urinary system. This infection affects all ages
and both sexes. Despite these, women are usually more susceptible to this infection and has a higher prevalence
compared to the men. Some of the risk factors responsible for this high prevalence is due to menopause, poor
personal hygiene, pregnancy and the close anatomical relationship of the female urethra and the anus. Among the
uropathogens involved in this infection, entrobacteriaceae especially the E.coli is usually the most prevalent and
accounts for 80-85% of the total isolate. Most often this infection is usually neglected but it is capable of claiming
life under severe circumstances. This article therefore reviews the prevalence and predisposing factors responsible
for urinary tract infection in adults. UTI being a major problem faced by the populace and the cause of most health
care expenditure, it is therefore important to know the predisposing factors responsible for this infection as this will
serve as a guide to individuals, care givers and health planners to guide and managed the expected interventions as
the management involves drug therapy and patients education.
Keywords: Urinary tract infection (UTI), uropathogens, bacterial infection, urethra, predisposing factor
Urinary tract infections (UTIs) are the most common bacterial infections affecting the populace both young and old. This infection usually affect one or more components of the urinary system and is particularly common among the female population with an incidence of about one percent of school aged girls and four percent of women through child bearing age (Combs, 3015).
Reports from other studies reveals that most uropathogen causing UTIs colonize the colon, the perianal region, and in females the periurethral region forming a biofilm that usually resists the body's immune response. UTIs can also result from fecal pathogens that ascend the opening of the urethra, stick to the walls of the urethra, multiplying and then move up the urethra to the bladder where they cause annoying symptoms during urination (Philips, 2016).
Although, most UTIs are self-limiting, improving without treatment even when culture is positive, other poses dangerous health risk which if left untreated may tend to spread up through the ureters, into the kidneys resulting in pyelonephritis. It has been estimated globally that UTIs result in as many as 8.3 million visits to
outpatient clinics, 1 million visits to emergency departments, and 100,000 hospitalizations annually (UNICEF, 2014). Although this infection affects both genders, women are the most vulnerable may be due to their anatomy and reproductive physiology. The prevalence also increases with advancing age, catheterization, sexual activity, menopause and prostate problems. The predominant organisms responsible for UTI are mostly the Enterobacteriaceae especially E. coli which are the cause of 80–85% of urinary tract infections. Laboratory investigations are required for the diagnosis and confirmation of UTI while treatment is based on information obtained from the antimicrobial susceptibility testing. This review therefore outlines the prevalence and predisposing factors responsible for urinary tract infections in adults.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
Share a Comment
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR HEALTH EDUCATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH WORKERS’ PERCEPTION OF THE IMPLEMENTATION OF ENVIRONMENTAL SANITATION COMPONENTS IN ANAMBRA STATE, NIGERIA» ABSTRACT This study set out to investigate the perception of environmental health workers on the implementation of components of environmental sanitat...Continue Reading »
163 pages | 218 hits | Source: HEALTH EDUCATION
2. THE ROLE OF HEALTH EDUCATION ON IMMUNIZATION AMONG THE COMMUNITY MEMBERS IN ABAKWA, UNGWAN SHANU WARD OF KADUNA NORTH LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF KADUNA ...» ABSTRACT This research work is designed to investigate the role of health education on immunization Abakwa, Unguwan Shanu ward of kaduna north local g...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 218 hits | Source: HEALTH EDUCATION
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION Prolong labor or dystocia is a common birth complication and constitute the major indication of instrument deliveries and...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 301 hits | Source: HEALTH EDUCATION
4. INCIDENCE ON HYPEREMESIS GRAVIDARIUM AMONG PREGNANT WOMEN IN KINKINAUCOMMUNITY, KADUNA SOUTH LOCAL GOVERNMENT» ABSTRACT This project was carried out in kinkinau, Kaduna south Local Government area Kaduna state, on incidence of hyperemesis gravideruim among preg...Continue Reading »
26 pages | 185 hits | Source: HEALTH EDUCATION
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Background of the Study Hand washing is one of the most important aspects of preventing diseases in our country Nigeria; thou...Continue Reading »
32 pages | 418 hits | Source: HEALTH EDUCATION
» CHAPTER ONE 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Akinyili (2012) stated that a drug is any chemical that change a person normal body process or function based ...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 466 hits | Source: HEALTH EDUCATION
» ABSTRACT This is a research essay work on the patronage pattern of health care facilities, it talks about the location of some these health centres, h...Continue Reading »
43 pages | 602 hits | Source: HEALTH EDUCATION
» CHAPTER ONE 1.1 INTRODUCTION The history of human race has been observed as the histories of drugs used since earliest time, herbs, root, back leaves ...Continue Reading »
34 pages | 536 hits | Source: HEALTH EDUCATION
» TABLE OF CONTENTS PAGES Title page Certification Dedication Acknowledgement Abstract Table of Contents Chapter One: Introduction 1.1 Background of the...Continue Reading »
56 pages | 78 hits | Source: HEALTH EDUCATION
10. INCIDENCE OF GASTRO-ENTERITIS IN DANWAIRE STREET BARNAWA KADUNA SOUTH LOCAL GOVERNMENT OF KADUNA STATE» ABSTRACT The study was designed to determine the incidence of gastro enteritis in Danwaire street Kaduna south local government of Kaduna state of Nig...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 441 hits | Source: HEALTH EDUCATION