Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 50 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
Background of the Study
Halitosis or most commonly bad breath are terms used to describe noticeably unpleasant odor exhaled in breathing (Gage, 2007).
Halitosis can be important social problem in which the standard dental treatment and mouth wash that are often recommended provide only temporary relief. The smell is from an oral source due to bacterial activities (Rosemberg, 2002).
Oral malodor is primarily the result of microbial metabolism, the mouth is a home of hundreds of bacterial species with various nutritional preferences. The most common location for mouth related halitosis is the tongue. Tongue bacterial produce malordor and fatty acid and count for about 80 to 90 percent of all cases of mouth related bad breath. Large quantities of naturally occurring bacteria are often found on the dorsum of the tongue, where they are relatively undisturbed by normal activities. This part of the tongue is relatively dry and poorly cleansed and bacterial populations can thrive on remnants of food deposits, dead epithelial cells and post nasal drip. The convoluted microbial structure of the tongue dorsum provides an ideal habitat for anaerobic bacterial, which flourish under a continually – forming tongue coating of food debris, dead cells, post nasal drip and overlying bacteria living and dead when left on the tongue the anaerobic respiration of such bacterial can yield either the putrescent smell of indole, skatole, methyl mercapton, alloymethyl sulfide and dimethyl sulfide (Tonzentich, 1997).
The organism digest protein, and several fatid substance arise leading to bad breath. Oral malodor from the overgrowth of proteolytic, anerobic gram negative bacterial the creavices of the tongue dorsum can be successfully diagnosed and treated (Lochner et al, 2000).
There are several causes of halitosis although the main one is oral bacterial over 90 million people suffer from chronic halitosis which is medical term for bad breath in most cases halitosis originate from the gums and tongue, caused by bacterial from the decay of food particles, other debris in the mouth and poor oral hygiene. In most cases (85-90%) bad breath originate in the mouth itself.
The intensity of bad breath differ during the day, due to eating of certain foods such as garlic, onions, meat, fish, egg, cheese, smoking and alcohol consumption, since the mouth is exposed to less oxygen and is in active during the night, the odor is usually worse upon awakening (morning breath). Bad breath may be transient of ten disappearing following brushing teeth, flushing or rinsing with special mouth wash (Tammy Devenport, 2007).
Bad breath may also be persistent (chronic bad breath). Which is a more serious condition affecting some 25 percent of the population in varying degrees. It can negatively affect the individual’s personal, social and business relationship leading to poor self esteem and increased stress. Halitosis is a medical term for bad breath and this is quite serious as a social disorder. Halitosis can cause extremely embarrassing situation in social interaction and relationship at work and in your personal life as well (Lell et al, 2006).
However, some bad breath seem to be associated with local pathological causes such as gingivitis (especially ANUG), periodontal disease, infected extraction sockets, or other types of oral species. In some cases, other possibilities that favour oral malodor are the presence of residual blood post operatively, debris under bridge or appliances, ulcer, dry mouth, and perfection of post nasal mucus drip stagnating on the tongue (Wd Kazor, 2002).
Various methods used to control halitosis (bad breath) the most widely-known reason to clean the tongue is for the control of bad breath. Method used against bad breath, such as mints, mouth sprays and mouth wash, may only temporarily mask the odour created by the bacteria on the tongue but cannot cure bad breath because they don’t remove the source of bad breath, in order to prevent the production of the sulfur – containing compounds mention above the bacteria on the tongue must be removed regularly. Most people who clean their tongue use a (tongue scraper) or a tooth brush (Dent Hes, 2007).
Statement of the Problems
Eating of certain foods, like cooked eggs, garlic, onion which when absorbed into our blood stream, are transferred to the lungs and exhaled breath will be produced as bad breath.
Suffering from some systemic diseases such as liver and kidney, diabetic mellitus, digestive track infection whereby gases are blocked from passing the stomach or intestines.
When mouth is dry, saliva production decreases leaving the mouth natural ability to clean itself impaired. Saliva is mouth’s natural mouth wash which contain properties that keep the mouth clean.
Purpose of the Study
1) To identify the occurrence of Halitosis among students in SICHST Makarfi.
2) To find out the causes of Halitosis among students in SICHST Makarfi.
3) To determine the measures of awareness, prevention and treatment of Halitosis.
4) To create hope that there is a solution to the problems of Halitosis.
Significance of the Study
The significance of the study is to find out the occurrence of halitosis among the students in SICHST, Makarfi.
This will help to proffer suggestion in understanding the existing oral health problems and develop oral health programs in the College, and assist oral health practitioners to provide a special oral health services such as oral health talk to entire students in SICHST Makarfi, and also help the management of the College to introduce oral health care in every department.
1) How common is Halitosis among students in SICHST Markafi?
2) What are the predisposing factors that lead to Halitosis?
3) What are the measures of awareness, prevention and treatment of Halitosis among students in SICHST Makarfi?
Scope of the Study
The scope of this study is limited to Halitosis among students in SICHST Makarfi which consist of causes, prevention and treatment.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR HEALTH EDUCATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.0 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Maternal mortality, also known a maternal death, continues to be the major cause of death among w...Continue Reading »
2. ASSESSMENT OF COMMUNITY PARTICIPATION IN PRIMARY HEALTH CARE IN ALKALARI LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA, BAUCHI STATE» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Background of the Study In 1978, the World Health Organization (WHO) adopted the policy of “Health for all by the year ...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT Older persons are known for wisdom because they have experienced more days or years on earth more than others. At some point in live, the old...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study The growing concern on improving reproductive health at the global level has created a demand for...Continue Reading »
5. ASSESSMENT OF PROTEIN ENERGY MALNUTRITION AMONG CHILDREN UNDER FIVE (5) YEARS OF AGE IN KADUNA NORTH LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA KADUNA STATE NIGERIA» Table of contents Title page................................................................................................i Declaration................Continue Reading »
6. HEALTH COMMUNICATION AND REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH CARE DELIVERY: A STUDY OF PLANNED PARENTHOOD FEDERATION OF NIGERIA INTERVENTION IN UNGUWAN MUAZU, KADUNA ...» ABSTRACT The level of women’s access to information on health issues is rather low in rural communities and, therefore, women are seen as vulner...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY Health services delivery in Nigeria had its historical antecedents. It had evolved through a seri...Continue Reading »
8. ATTITUDE OF WORKING MOTHERS TOWARDS EXCLUSIVE BREASTFEEDING IN MARAFAMETROPOLIS, KADUNA NORTH, KADUNA STATE.» ABSTRACT This research set out the attitude of working mothers towards exclusive breast feeding practice in Marafa Metropolis Kaduna North, Kaduna Sta...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Background of the study The Kwara central zone is made up of Ilorin west, Ilorin east, Ilorin South, Asa and Mooro local gove...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to Study Exercise has become a vital part of many women’s lives. Although many women still prefer to eng...Continue Reading »