Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 58 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
This research study centered on the role of guidance and counselling in tertiary institutions across Nigeria. Four states were surveyed and the respondents for the work were 39, including students and counselors. The demeaning aspect of suicide attempt in the contemporary Nigeria is that it is carried out by students. The students are supposed to be the least affected by suicide but reverse is the case. In the tertiary institutions, the rate of suicide actions is on the increase as records show that nothing has been done to curb this action. Three research objectives and questions was formulated to guide the research work and a couple of recommendations were made to provide schools with enough information on suicidal behaviour among students and ways in which counselors and play their roles in obviating suicide.
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Suicide is the act of intentionally causing one's own death. Mental disorders, including depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, personality disorders, anxiety disorders, and substance abuse—including alcoholism and the use of benzodiazepines—are risk factors. Some suicides are impulsive acts due to stress, such as from financial difficulties, troubles with relationships, or bullying. Those who have previously attempted suicide are at a higher risk for future attempts. Close to 800 000 people die due to suicide every year, which is one person every 40 seconds. Suicide is a global phenomenon and occurs throughout the lifespan. Effective and evidence-based interventions can be implemented at population, sub-population and individual levels to prevent suicide and suicide attempts. There are indications that for each adult who died by suicide there may have been more than 20 others attempting suicide. Suicide occurs throughout the lifespan and is the second leading cause of death among 15-29 year old globally.
According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), while the link between suicide and mental disorders (in particular, depression and alcohol use disorders) is well established in high-income countries, many suicides happen impulsively in moments of crisis with a breakdown in the ability to deal with life stresses, such as financial problems, relationship break-up or chronic pain and illness. In addition, experiencing conflict, disaster, violence, abuse, or loss and a sense of isolation are strongly associated with suicidal behaviour. Suicide rates are also high amongst vulnerable groups who experience discrimination, such as refugees and migrants; indigenous peoples; lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex (LGBTI) persons; and prisoners. By far the strongest risk factor for suicide is a previous suicide attempt. It is estimated that around 20 per cent of global suicides are due to pesticide self-poisoning, most of which occur in rural agricultural areas in low- and middle-income countries. Other common methods of suicide are hanging and firearms. However, In any learning institution, counselors form an essential part of the organization since they serve as key persons to whom students can turn to for help on matters related to general challenges facing a teenager both in school and out of school. With the too academic oriented education system characterized with exam cheating and results irregularities, students are likely to find themselves faced with difficult decisions to make concerning career choices. Pressure from parents, lack of proper guidance and scarcity of jobs in preferred sectors can be quite overwhelming for a child unless guided appropriately. Apart from career choice, the students are also faced with other adolescent challenges such as relationships, rapid growth and physical changes, peer pressure, addiction to drugs and alcohol, and the need for identity or to “belong”. therefore, the guidance and counselling role can be useful in ameliorating the increase of suicide in our tertiary institutions.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
The year 2019 has recorded a significant number of death through suicidal actions. The trend is one that cannot be quickly disputed as it is ongoing. The demeaning aspect of suicide attempt in the contemporary Nigeria is that it is carried out by students. The student's are supposed to be the least affected by suicide but reverse is the case. In the tertiary institutions, the rate of suicide actions is on the increase as records show that nothing has been done to curb this action. Suicide is associated with a lot of negativity as it traditionally depicts a bad omen and signifies weakness on the part of the victim. The continuous increase of suicide by young people has propelled this study to be considered as it examines the role of guidance and counseling in curbing suicide.
1.3 OBJECTIVES OF STUDY
The major objectives of this study is to investigate the roles of guidance and counselling in obviating suicide among tertiary institution students in Nigeria.
1. Are tertiary institution guidance counselors aware of students suicidal behaviors?
2. What are the school guidance counselors’ perceptions of students suicidal behaviour?
3. Do school guidance counselors understand suicide among the student’s population?
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
This study attempted to answer the following research questions:
1. Are tertiary institution guidance counselors aware of student’s suicidal behaviors?
2. What are the school guidance counselors perceptions of students suicidal behaviour?
3. Do school guidance counselors understand suicide among the student’s population?
1.5 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
Nigeria has witnessed an unusual phenomenon among young people especially young people in the tertiary institutions. This study is quite significant as it exposes in factual terms the causes of suicide among young people. The study will also assist guidance and counseling department in understanding what needs to be tackled as it provides insight the need to obviate suicide. The reverse is that this study brings to bare the role of guidance and counseling in obviating suicide, which implies that guidance and counseling can be relied upon to provide assistance to suicidal issues.
1.6 SCOPE AND LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
This study examines the current appalling trend of suicide in Nigeria, especially in the tertiary institutions. However the study is limited to only Nigeria institutions. The study sampled opinions from respondents across four states (Enugu, Lagos, Jos and Delta states).
1.7 ORGANIZATION OF THE STUDY
This research is organized into five distinct but related chapters, the first chapter gives an overview of the study as well as highlighting the problem and clearly the objectives. In the second chapter, we reviewed related and relevant literature. In the third chapter, we describe the method adopted and employed in the study. The fourth chapter presents and analyzes the data collected from the respondents, while the fifth chapter includes, summary, conclusion and recommendations
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
Share a Comment
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR GUIDANCE COUNSELING FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. AN INVESTIGATION INTO THE NEED FOR GUIDANCE AND COUNSELLING SERVICES FOR PARENTS OF THE HEARING IMPAIRED CHILDREND IN OKENE LGA KOGI STATE» ABSTRACT This research was aimed at finding out the importance of guidance and counseling services for the parents of hearing impaired children in Oke...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 175 hits | Source: GUIDANCE COUNSELING
2. INFLUENCE OF SINGLE PARENTING ON JUVENILE DELINQUENCY AMONG ADOLECENTS: A STUDY OF SELECTED SECONDARY SCHOOLS IN UYO» ABSTRACT This study was aimed at investigating the “Influence of single Parenting on Juvenile Delinquency among adolescents: A Study of Selected...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 456 hits | Source: GUIDANCE COUNSELING
3. STUDENT’S CHARATERISTICS AND JUNIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE IN SOCIAL STUDIES IN IBIONO IBOM LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA.» ABSTRACT The focus of this study was to investigate the student’s Characteristics and Junior secondary School Academic performance in Social Studies...Continue Reading »
91 pages | 181 hits | Source: GUIDANCE COUNSELING
4. A PHENOMENON ON MENTAL HEALTH AS A CHALLENGE TO YOUTH DEVELOPMENT IN NIGERIA AND ITS COUNSELING IMPLICATIONS» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Mental health is a health issue that is in circulation, specifically among Nigerian youths. The infor...Continue Reading »
90 pages | 318 hits | Source: GUIDANCE COUNSELING
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Background of the Study Marriage is a relationship legally approved between adults of the opposite sex of different backgroun...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 131 hits | Source: GUIDANCE COUNSELING
» ABSTRACT The institution of marriage commands high social recognition and, importance in our society. Marriage is a social institution that is designe...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 103 hits | Source: GUIDANCE COUNSELING
7. CAUSES OF INDISCIPLINE AMONG PUBLIC SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS IN UYO LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF AKWA IBOM STATE» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Indiscipline in public secondary schools has become an alarming issue in the Nigerian society. Pu...Continue Reading »
87 pages | 283 hits | Source: GUIDANCE COUNSELING
8. SOCIAL VARIABLES AND MORAL DEVELOPMENT OF ADOLESCENTS IN PUBLIC SECONDARY SCHOOLS IN UYO LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA AKWA IBOM STATE, NIGERIA.» TABLE OF CONTENTS Cover page i Declaration ii Dedication iii Certification iv Acknowledgement v Table of Contents vi List of Tables x Abstract xi CHAP...Continue Reading »
72 pages | 196 hits | Source: GUIDANCE COUNSELING
» ABSTRACT Teacher motivation naturally has to do teacher’s desire in participation in the education process. Motivation is commonly assumed to be a g...Continue Reading »
80 pages | 227 hits | Source: GUIDANCE COUNSELING
» ABSTRACT This research work is based on students’ perception of the role of school counselor in the choice of a career using Esan West local Governm...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 244 hits | Source: GUIDANCE COUNSELING