Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
Banana is a long curved fruit which grows in clusters and has soft pulpy flesh and yellow skin when ripe.There are about 1000 varieties of bananas in the world. Banana is an edible fruit botanically a berry, produced by several kinds of large herbaceous flowering plants in the genus Musa. In some countries bananas used for cooking may be called plantains. The fruit is variable in size, colour and firmness, but is usually elongated and curved, with soft flesh rich starch covered with a rind which may be green, yellow, red, purple, or brown when ripe, (Mwan et al., 2007).
In the developing world, banana is a major staple crop of considerable importance. Most producers and consumer of banana determines the quality of the banana by the colour of the peels. The colour of the fruit could serve as an indication of the state of deterioration, disease and/or confirmation (Crane et al., 2005).
1.1 Background of the study
In 2013, Canadians spent 875 billion on food, the largest share was spent on fruit production.
The global fruit processing industry has experienced consistent increased demand over the last five years, for processed fruit and fruit products and consumer spending has increased. Demand has grown particularly faster in developing economies as industrial growth has translated into greater urbanization, higher percental income and expansion in the size of the middle class has grown it has demanded larger quantities of higher quality more diverse food. Increase consumption of fruits can be attributed to more household becoming health centered (CSA, 2004).
Microorganisms, natural disaster such as earthquakes etc. has cause a substantial damage to fruit production and has naturally affected the Global fruit production.
The quantity of bananas product in Nigeria has not been estimated. However it is known to be produced in varying amount within the following states: Abia, Awkaibom, Anambra, Benue, Cross River, Delta, Enugu, Kaduna and Ondo (FOS, 2015)
Because of the massive production of banana fruit and poor storage and handling process, leads to spillage of banana fruit during the post-harvest period, (CSA, 2004).
1.2 Statement of Problem
Because of the world wide massive production of banana and as result of poor storage facilities this leads to large waste of banana due to spoilage
Microbial associated spoilage mostly is due to contamination from external sources during post harvest practices as a result of transport to the market or during storage of the fruit.During the ripening process, there are gradual series of changes in the colour of the banana from green to yellow. One should be able to distinguish between spoilage and ripening of banana.
Most banana affected with microorganisms (fungi or/and bacteria) usually get spoilt most at times at the middle of the ripening process or when the banana has become ripe.Banana fruit can be contaminated by microorganisms through skin penetration, natural opening or mechanical damage. There are two main microbes (Fungi and Bacteria) involve in spoilage of banana, which reduce the quality of the banana fruit causing the fruit to be consideration and unmarketable. The storage life of banana fruits can be improved using low temperature , 90% humility, removal of ethylene storing in 5% CO2 and 3% oxygen at 280c, use of chemicals and irradiation, use of packaging materials and fruit processing.
There is highly consumption of banana in Nigeria also high loss due to spoilage.
The study centre on microorganisms associated with spoilage in fresh and spoilt banana. Thus this study will provide a data base on microbial spoilage of banana.
1.4 Aim of the study
To isolate microorganism associated with deterioration of bananas fruits and to assess common ways that have used to improved the shelf life of the fruit sold in Makurdi Benue state.
1.5 Specific objective of the study
1. To isolate and identify micro organism associated with spoilage fresh Banana fruits in Makurdi.
2. To isolate and identify micro organism associated with spoilt banana fruits sold in Makurd.
3. The distribution of spoilage micro organisms among markets in Makurdi.
4. To determine the physio chemical parameters of banana pulp.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR FOOD SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. THE USE OF BITTERLEAF (VERNONIA AMYGDALINA) EXTRACT AS A MEANS OF EXTENDING THE SHELF-LIFE OF LOCALLY BREWED SORGHUM BEER» ABSTRACT Locally brewed beer (sorghum beer) is an indigenous alcohol average. It is produced mainly from sorghum grain (Sorghum vulgare ) and the proc...Continue Reading »
2. PRODUCTION OF OGIRI FROM SOYABEAN USING MICRO ORGANISM RESPONSIBLE FOR FERMENTATION OF CASTOR BEANS SEED OGIRI» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION “Ogiri” is a local condiment inform of oily paste with strong putrial and ammonial odour made from some fermentat...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT The study was carried out to produce biscuit. spiced with ginger garlic, turmeric, cinnamon. Biscuit is hard, crisp and dried and baked produ...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION Sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas) is an extremely versatile and delicious vegetable that possesses high nutritional value (M...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Cassava (Manihot esculenta Crantz) is a tuberous root crop grown in the tropics between latitudes...Continue Reading »
6. ASSESSMENT OF THE CHEMOPREVENTIVE EFFECT OF DIETARY INCLUSION WITH CUCURBITA MAXIMA LEAF ON N-METHYL-N-NITROSOUREA-INDUCED COLON CARCINOGENESIS IN WIS...» ABSTRACT There is growing attention on medicinal plants use as food for cancer inhibiting potential, so that chemo preventive dietary inclusion can be...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY. Canteen services stated way back in the 18th centaury, food and snacks are served as to the taste of the client. ...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT Hospitality industry is one of the business entities that budgeting must be functional and active. The method of it application or execution ...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY Fresh fish rapidly deteriorates unless some way can be found to preserve it. Drying is a method o...Continue Reading »
10. PRODUCTION AND SENSORY EVALUATION OF COMPOSITE JAM PRODUCED FROM FOUR (4) DIFFERENT TROPICAL FRUITS APPLE, PINEAPPLE, ORANGE AND BANANA» ABSTRACT Composite jam was produced from four different tropical fruits – pineapple, apple, orange and banana at different proportion. Four dife...Continue Reading »