Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 48 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
Background of Study
Suya is a form of processed stick-meat consumed by people in West Africa. It is produced from boneless meat hung on stick and spiced with peanut cake, salt, vegetable oil and other flavourings followed by roasting around a glowing charcoal fire . It originated from the northern part of the country where the population of animals found in the area is large compared with other areas. The processed meat has a unique taste, flavour, colour and texture that distinguish it from other meats which are products of other processing techniques. Suya meat is produced from beef or mutton. There are three types of Suya namely, Tsire, Balangu and Kilishi. The process of preparation of Suya meat involves a few steps, first is the grounding of peanut. The shell and the skin are removed from the peanut before grinding into fine powder using mortar and pestle or crushed with a rolling pin. If the powder is oily; it is wrapped with an absorbent paper and squeezed for a minute or two. Next, the grinded pepper, garlic, ginger are stirred into the peanut powder and mixed properly. The meat is then cut into small sizes or thin sliced, dipped and rolled in a bowl containing the mixed peanut-spice and allowed to coat completely. The minced meat are then kept for thirty minutes or more for the peanut cake to stick to it after which the meat slices are threaded unto skewer and brushed with vegetable oil and roasted on the glowing charcoal fire for fifteen to twenty minutes .
Today Suya meat has gained wide popularity and it is been consumed by majority. Most of the processors of this meat were found in strategic locations and were people who does not have much formal education and as a result still uses traditional methods of handling, processing and packaging the products, which are considered to be unhygienic, unsafe and can result in rapid deterioration of the processed meat if not consumed within a short period of time. The processors have been accustomed to collecting old newspapers from different homes and using same to package Suya meat for their customers, which are considered to be dirty and dusty, also in some homes where chemicals were being used to control insects like cockroaches and mosquitoes, there is tendency of the chemicals being sprayed on the newspapers, which the chemicals when in contact with the meat and being consumed can poised serious health issues. Besides the fact that the use of old newspapers in packaging of Suya meat product does not give a good professional image to the processor, the printed inks on the papers contain pigments, colorants, binders, additives and photo initiators which can be harmful to the health of the consumer.
Packaging does not only ensure that foods contains and maintains the amount and forms of the required ingredient and nutrients but also improves the sensory quality and colour stability.
1.2 STATEMENT OF PROBLEM
It has been demonstrated that food packaging can retard product deterioration, retain the beneficial effects of processing, extend shelf-life and maintain or increase the quality and safety of food . Therefore it is important that food packaging materials should possess proper mechanical, thermal and optical properties for foods. In addition anti-microbial and barrier functions against gases, vapour and aroma are also important in food packaging materials. Suya meats are to be stored between 50 to 600C to disfavour the growth of microbes.
The principal roles of packaging are to protect food products from outside influences and damages, to contain the food, and to provide consumers with ingredient and nutritional information. Packaging maintains the benefits of food processing after the process is completed, enabling food to travel safely for long distances from their point of origin and still be wholesome at the time of consumption. It is in view of these that this study was conducted to investigate the effects processing methods and packaging materials on the quality attributes of Suya meat.
1.3 OBJECTIVES OF STUDY
1. Effect of method of processing on the quality attributes of Suya meat
2. Effect of packaging materials on the quality attribute of Suya meat
3. Effect of hours of preservation on the quality of attributes of Suya meat
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
1. What is the effect of the method of processing on the quality attributes of Suya meat?
2. What is the effect of packaging materials on the quality attributes of Suya meat?
3. What hours of preservation on the quality of attributes of Suya meat?
1.5 RESEARCH HYPOTHESIS
1. There is no significance relationship between method of processing and quality of Suya
2. There is no significance relationship between packaging materials and quality of Suya
3. There is no significance between hours of preservation on the quality of attributes of Suya
1.6 SIGNIFICANCE OF STUDY
The study will be beneficial to Suya business men on how to package Suya so as to increase sale and increase customer base.
The study will also contribute to existing literature.
Share a Comment
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR FOOD SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. EFFECT OF MATERNAL NUTRITION KNOWLEDGE AND NUTRITIONAL STATUS ON PREGNANCY OUTCOME IN RURAL AND URBAN AREAS OF EBONYI STATE, NIGERIA.» ABSTRACT The main purpose of this study was to assess the effect of maternal nutrition knowledge and nutritional status on pregnancy outcome in Ebonyi...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 47 hits | Source: FOOD SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
» ABSTRACT This study examined the problems and prospects of oil palm cultivation using Nifor as a case study. In the process of the research questionna...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 61 hits | Source: FOOD SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION BACKGROUNG OF STUDY Coagulation Flocculation is an important process in water and wastewater treatment used for the removal o...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 55 hits | Source: FOOD SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
4. NUTRIENT COMPOSITION, QUALITY EVALUATION AND ACCEPTABILITY OF “GARI” FORTIFIED WITH TOASTED AFRICAN YAM BEAN SEED FLOUR» ABSTRACT Fresh peeled and grated cassava mash was blended with toasted African yam bean seed flour (TAYBSF) in ratios of 95:5, 90:10, 85:15 and 80:20 ...Continue Reading »
112 pages | 83 hits | Source: FOOD SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
5. CHEMICAL COMPOSITION, HEALTH PROMOTING POTENTIALS AND STORAGE PROPERTIES OF BISCUITS SUPPLEMENTED WITH ORANGE PEEL AND PULP FLOURS» ABSTRACT Sweet orange (Citrus sinensis) fruits were washed, peeled manually, the juice extracted and the seeds were removed. The peels and pulps were ...Continue Reading »
98 pages | 48 hits | Source: FOOD SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
6. COMPARATIVE STUDY ON THE NUTRIENT COMPOSITION, FUNCTIONAL PROPERTIES AND MICROBIAL LOAD OF SOME SPECIES OF GASTROPODS MEAT FLOURS» TABLE OF CONTENT Cover Page i Certification ii Dedication iii Acknowledgement iv Table of content v List of table vi List of figure vii Abstract viii ...Continue Reading »
65 pages | 148 hits | Source: FOOD SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION Honey is as old as written history dating back to 2100 BC where it was mentioned Sumerian and Babylonian cuneiform writin...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 149 hits | Source: FOOD SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
» TABLE OF CONTENTS Pages Title Page i Certification ii Dedication iii Acknowledgement iv Table of Contents v CHAPTER ONE 1.0 Introduction 1 CHAPTER TWO...Continue Reading »
35 pages | 150 hits | Source: FOOD SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
9. FISH SPECIES COMPOSITION, FOOD AND FEEDING HABITS AND LENGTH-WEIGHT RELATIONSHIP OF SOME TRAWLED FISH SPECIES OBTAINED FROM MIDDLEMEN IN IBAKA, OFF TH...» TABLE OF CONTENTS TITLE PAGE Title Page i Dedication ii Acknowledgement iii Certification iv Table of content v List of tables ix List of figures xi A...Continue Reading »
74 pages | 140 hits | Source: FOOD SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
10. IMPACT OF MATERIAL QUALITY CONTROL ON PRODUCTION QUALITY OF SOFT DRINK IN 7UP BOTTLING COMPANY KADUNA» CHAPTER I: Introduction 1.1 Background of the Study Generally business organizations are being establish purposely in order to make profit and the suc...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 160 hits | Source: FOOD SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY