Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: MTech, MSc or PhD.
- Full Access Fee: ₦8,000
A bilingual or a multilingual speaker of Nigerian languages tend to fall back to the ethnic languages in the domains and topics, context and situations that require the usage of Standard English Language as result of the predominant Nigerian language(s) in their repertoire. There are different languages (codes) used by Nigerian students for interaction today, this has led to peculiar problems for meaning-making in a context where the standard expression of English language is required. Therefore, this study analyzed the Socio-semantics of Code-switching among Students of Benue State University and the Federal University of Agriculture Makurdi, by examining the users and types of codes switched in order to identify effects on the language use of Standard English language within sociolinguistics domains and formal context. The study adopts an eclectic approach in the analysis of its data; Fishman‟s (1972) “Domain and Topics Analysis”, Labov‟s (2006) “Quantitative Paradigm Analysis” as well as the “Semantic Model of Conversational Code-switching” by Gumperz further modified by Auer (1984) in order to accommodate the nature of this study. The research design for this study combines aspects of qualitative and quantitative; includes descriptive statistical tools such as frequency distribution, tables and percentages. Data was sourced from the selected universities; random selections of students in the universities constitute the study and population, while three major instruments were used: „unscheduled non-participatory observation‟, „questionnaire‟ and „motive-determination interview‟. Statistical Package for Social Sciences was used to analyse the variables on the questionnaires to present the results of the data collected. Findings of the study reveal that, the frequency of code-switching among students of the study area, particularly students of English Language indicated that 75.2% of the total respondents “most often”, “often” or “seldom” code-switch to Nigerian languages in order to make meaningful conversation. The analysis also showed that “domains of discourse” and “pragmatics”, “language use” and “meaning-making” have a significant impact on the Nigerian university students as a result of their frequent code-switching thereby affecting their competent use of English language for a meaningful dialogue in formal context.
1.1 Background to the Study
The nature of written or spoken words today is expected to carry a message that
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR ENGLISH LITERARY STUDIES FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. A STUDY OF BLACK CONSCIOUSNESS AND RACISM IN RICHARD WRIGHTS NATIVE SON AND RALPH ELLISON’S INVISIBLE MAN» ABSTRACTThe twentieth century American literary scene is characterized by the emergence of black writers who are concerned with creating what is calle...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This study focuses on analyzing and contrasting the processes of noun formation in both English and Igbo languages. The method of data analys...Continue Reading »
3. FACTORS AFFECTING SECONDARY SCHOOL ORAL ENGLISH INSTRUCTION IN OSOGBO LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF OSUN STATE» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION In English Language, there is a strong correlation between oral language skills and achievement in the writtenlanguage among ...Continue Reading »
4. THE USE OF ICT IN THE TEACHING AND LEARNING OF ORAL ENGLISH IN SECONDARY SCHOOLS IN NSUKKA EDUCATION ZONE» ABSTRACT This research work set out to examine the use of ICT in the teaching and learning of oral English in secondary schools in Nsukka Education zo...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This research is a syntactic analysis of the various and different grammatical units and ranks that flourish the poetry of Wole Soyinka as th...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This study is a pragmatic analysis of the use of compliments in selected Nigerian newspapers. Compliments sourced from the feature article se...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This research work is concerned with reduplication in Nigerian English from the speeches and utterances of some students in the Department of...Continue Reading »
8. PREDOMINANT DEVICES USED BY NGUGI WA THIONG’O IN HIS NOVEL WIZARD OF THE CROW AND WHAT HE ACHIEVED BY USING THOSE DEVICES.» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Language is the distinctive quality unique to man. It is what enables man to express him/herself ...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This research work deals mainly with interrogating the Northern Nigerian Society, a case study of Habiba by Razinat T Muhammad. This project ...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONEINTRODUCTION1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDYLanguage is the distinctive quality unique to man. It is what enables man to express him/herself and...Continue Reading »