Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 333 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: MTech, MSc or PhD.
- Full Access Fee: ₦40,000
1.1 Background to the Study
The history of the Nigerian Telecommunication Industry can be divided into three phases (Okere, 2012). The first (sluggish) phase began from 1985, when Nigerian Telecommunications Limited (NITEL) was established till the time when the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) was established in 1992. The second (fast) period spanned through 1992 to 2000. This period witnessed deregulation agenda that led to the launch of the National Policy on Telecommunications. The third (supersonic) phase commenced in 2001 and continued to the present day. Mobile cellular services started on the Nigerian market in 1993 with the introduction of Mobile Telecommunications Services (MTS). The MTS was a joint-venture between NITEL and Digital Telecommunications of Atlanta. The two companies offered voice services, voicemail, and paging, from three switches (in Abuja, Enugu, and Lagos), with a joint subscriber base of 12,500.
The auction for Digital Mobile Licenses (DML) conducted by NCC in January 2001 brought about the emergence of three mobile operators. These companies are Econet Wireless now Airtel, Mobile Telecommunications Network (MTN) and MTel (a subsidiary of NITEL) while a fourth DML was issued to Globacom in 2002 (Baez et al., 2010). In order to foster market competition a fifth Mobile License with GSM spectrum was awarded to Etisalat, in 2012. Through the award of DML and subsequent introduction of unified access service licenses in February 2006 (which replaced all existing licenses), NCC facilitated a phenomenal expansion of subscriber from about half a million connected lines in 2000 to over one hundred and thirty-four million connected lines as in September 2014 as shown in 1
Figure 1.1 (NCC, 2014). In addition, several licensed operators (including Airtel, Etisalat, Globacom, and MTN) have launched third-generation (3G) services in Nigeria. Figure 1.2 shows the market shares of Global System for Mobile communications (GSM) network operators in Nigeria as in September 2014 (NCC, 2014).
Subscribers (in millions)
Share a Comment
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND The world’s economies have over the last few decades, undergone dramatic transformation as nations striv...Continue Reading »
50 pages | 86 hits | Source: ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING
» ABSTRACTUninterruptible power supplies (UPS) are used to provide power when regular utility power is unavailable. Although they are commonly used for ...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 104 hits | Source: ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING
» ABSTRACT Automatic water level controller for both overhead and underground tank is designed to monitor the level of water in a tank. It displays the ...Continue Reading »
50 pages | 314 hits | Source: ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING
4. THE POLITICAL CORRUPTION AND PSYCHOSOCIAL DISORDER, USING TANURE OJAIDE’S THE ACTIVIST AND OKEY NDIBE’S ARROW OF RAIN» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION Nigeria’s political problems sprang from the carefree manner in which the British took over, administered, and aban...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 212 hits | Source: ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION The quest to satisfy our need for stable power supply in Nigeria has driven most Nigerians into an ardent search for alte...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 242 hits | Source: ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING
6. SOLAR POWER GENERATION FOR INDIVIDUAL IN RURAL AREA CAN SOLVE THE PROBLEMS OF POWER IN THIS COUNTRY (NIGERIA).» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY Energy is a basic need for the development of socio economic and enhancement of people’s living...Continue Reading »
54 pages | 84 hits | Source: ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING
» ABSTRACT Microcontroller based automate controller is a project design of a system that is used in operating a gate automatically. The system opens th...Continue Reading »
50 pages | 106 hits | Source: ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING
» DEDICATIONI dedicate this project work to Almighty God, the source of all knowledge, wisdom and understanding, for being there for me throughout the p...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 112 hits | Source: ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Introduction A wireless signal jammer is a device which blocks transmission by creating interference. This wireless signa...Continue Reading »
50 pages | 94 hits | Source: ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING
10. STATUS OF PARTNERSHIP BETWEEN INDUSTRIES AND TECHNICAL VOCATIONAL EDUCATION TRAINING IN NIGER STATE» TABLE OF CONTENTS Title page i Approval page ii Declaration iii Dedication iv Acknowledgement v Table of contents vi Abstract viii CHAPTER ONE: INTROD...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 79 hits | Source: ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING