Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 35 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY
The Automated Meter Reading (AMR) was started in 1962 by AT&T, but this experiment was not successful. The modern era of AMR started in 1985; since then different techniques have been utilized to get better reliability and performance . Therefore currently in developed countries, many successful AMR systems are being used to facilitate the consumers of electricity, water, or gas. However in Nigeria, service provider companies (e.g. WAPDA, SNGPL, WASA, etc) are still using analogue meters and manual billing systems. Such type of billing method is being used both for domestic consumers as well as for industrial consumers. Basically using this system the bill is calculated in three steps. Firstly meter readers (human being) go home to home to manually record the meter reading. Secondly all readings are sent to regional billing office where data entry operator, enters the meter readings in a computer to calculate the bills. Thirdly at the end, the bills (in paper form) are sent home to home (to electricity consumers).
The above stated process is manual and prone to defects and ultimately the consumers mentally and financially suffer in such billing system. Therefore to replace the manual and traditional billing techniques in Nigeria, we designed and implemented a cost effective, but still reliable, billing automation system for electricity provider companies. As already discussed that analogue meters are already being used in Nigeria therefore in our system we modified an analogue meter and converted it into a digital gas meter. In this way the electricity provider companies would not have to completely replace their existing setup facilities and they would be able to replace their existing billing methods with our automated system.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
The Nigerian power sector faces a serious problem of lean revenue collection for the actual electric energy supplied owing to energy thefts and network losses. One of the prime reasons is the traditional billing system which is inaccurate, slow, costly, and lack in flexibility as well as reliability. The present practice of electricity billing is manual method only. With this, the total billing is a time consuming process and it requires more manpower. The collection of billing is late procedure and so many consumers may not pay in time. Disconnecting of unpaid connections is also manual. Due to all these drawbacks we cannot have proper auditing. To overcome these drawbacks, we are implementing this project. If this system comes in our day-to-day life, it will be useful for both the Government and the public.
1.3 AIM AND OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The aim of this project research work is to design and develop a software package for billing systems of electricity industry.
The objectives of the study include the following;
1. To elaborate the concept of automated electricity billing system.
2. To design and implement a software that depicts an billing system
3. To examine the modules of billing system
4. To point out the impact of billing system on revenue collection
1.4 SIGNIFICANT OF THE STUDY
This research would be considered worthless if it has no significance to mankind. The following significance can be derives from this research;
1. It will make other related organization to see the need of designing and implementing a billing system.
2. It will assist in displaying the proper, reliable and effective medium used in managing an electricity bills.
3. Finally, the research work will serve as a good reference material to other student interested in researching further on the research topic in future.
1.5 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The research work is focused on Electricity Billing System (EBS), with electricity industry serving as a case study. Its scope covers only the important module of EBS, data collection, analysis, storage and retrieval of information. It does not extend to other areas such as electricity malfunction.
1.6 ORGANIZATION OF THE RESEARCH
The research work is arranged in the following chapters;
Chapter 1: The introductory chapter, which focused on the preliminaries theory.
Chapter 2: The overview of the research work.
Chapter 3: The system design and methodology.
Chapter 4: The system implementation and documentation.
Chapter 5: Finally, summary of the research work.
1.7 DEFINITION OF TERMS
In order to do away with ambiguity and enhance understanding, some keywords are hereby defined;
System: A collection of elements or components that are organized for a common purpose.
Module: A separate unit of software
Software Package: That includes the software itself, as well as files that are used only during the installation process. In a Windows environment it is sometimes called an installation package or update package. Multiple software programs that work together (or performs similar functions) and is bundled and sold together as a software package.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of Study Time can be defined as a measurable period which an action, process, or condition exist or continues ...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND Heart beat rate means the number of heartbeats per unit time, usually expressed as beats per minute (bpm). The...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This project topic, Teleconference System, is one of the state of the art invention and need of many organizations for purpose of reducing co...Continue Reading »
4. FACTORS RESPONSIBLE FOR FAILURE OF STUDENTS IN ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION AND MAINTENANCE WORK IN THE SELECTED TECHNICAL COLLEGES, NIGER STATE» TABLE OF CONTENTS Title page i Approval page ii Declaration iii Dedication iv Acknowledgment v Table of contents vi Abstract viii CHAPTER I Introducti...Continue Reading »
5. MODELLING AND OPTIMIZATION OF A HYBRID ENERGY SYSTEM FOR GSM BASE TRANSCEIVER STATION SITES IN EMERGING CITIES» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the Study The history of the Nigerian Telecommunication Industry can be divided into three phases (Okere, 2...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of study A power inverter, or inverter, is an electronic device or circuitry that changes direct current (DC) ...Continue Reading »
7. SOLAR POWER GENERATION FOR INDIVIDUAL IN RURAL AREA CAN SOLVE THE PROBLEMS OF POWER IN THIS COUNTRY (NIGERIA).» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY Energy is a basic need for the development of socio economic and enhancement of people’s living...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT 'The greatest problem confronting some managers is the question of how to make employees perlorm better. Performance is achieved through caus...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT`To improve the overall efficiency of the power system, the performance of transmission system must be improved. Some of the vital ways of ach...Continue Reading »
» INTRODUCTION 1. The advancements in science and technology has had an outstanding impact on the activities of man particularly since the early twentie...Continue Reading »