Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
Traffic control systems include signs, light and other devices that communicate with specific direction, warning, or requirements. With over 50 million motorist and about 2.5 million kilometres. Mohammed (2007) said Traffic control, procedures, devices and communication system help vehicles and vessels to safely share the same roads, rails, waterways, or air space. Traffic control establishes a set of rules and instructions that drivers, pilots, train engineers, and ship captains rely on to avoid collision and other hazards. Safe travel for pedestrians is an additional goal in highway is traffic control.
Public roads in Nigeria. Traffic control on the highways is therefore very important aspect of daily life. The project is concerned with the design and construction of an intelligent traffic light control system with a sequential digital electronic circuit, designed to regulate and control the flow of traffic light at road junction to avoid mishaps that may occur as a result of accidents due to unregulated traffic flow.
Traffic control device for highway travel include signs, traffic lights, pavement markings, and a variety of device placed on, over, near, or even under, the roadway. Other types of traffic control systems include laws and procedures, electronic and physical devices such as radar, radio, buoys and markers, signs and signals, and people such as vehicle operators and traffic warders. The system varies depending on its location and types of transportation it controls.
Traffic warden taking into account factors like stability of electricity supply, motorists’ behaviour and society’s acceptance of innovations into consideration can be very useful in traffic control. More so, traffic wardens can easily interrupt heavy traffic at given intervals in order to permit other vehicles and pedestrians to cross speedily and safely, something that is absent in the control with signals.
However, warden’s control of traffic was mostly queuing dependent making it quit difficult to follow a clear - cut cycle length for all approaches. It is also seen some of the time to be influenced by the approach of service/force and administrative vehicles. These could be considered as emergency vehicles and were accorded priority. In summary, the use of traffic wardens is by far less effective and unsatisfactory than any of automated method, due to limitations by human nature such as fatigue, distractions etc resulting to control errors.
Automated traffic control (electrical/electronic/computer/mechanized). Electronic digital sequential logical circuit was designed to control and regulate traffic control system and timer relay and contractors were used as electronic designs which are all design used to realize the safety, less expensive and reliability of the system. This automated method traffic control is far more reliable since relays and contractors are used which allow the system to function 24 hours of the day if power supply is stable. The cost of installing automated traffic lights control system is less cost of maintaining a traffic warden (Ndoke, 2006) more so it has a better efficiency in possibility wearing of components and failure in operations. The financial burden borne by the government to pay the traffic wardens for the services rendered could be used in maintaining the automated traffic system.
1.1 BRIEF HISTORY OF THE CASE STUDY
The roundabout is as old as Kaduna Electricity Distribution Company (KAEDCO). It is one of the 18 successor company created following the unbundling and subsequent privatization of the defunct power holding company of Nigeria plc. Kaduna electric is one of the 11 downstream operator in the Nigeria electricity market. It responsible for retail distribution and marketing of electricity in Kaduna, Kebbi , Sokoto and Zamfara states. The company currently has 8 Area offices and 147 customer population of about 490,000. Kaduna electric is the 7th largest Disco in distribution capacity and 6th largest in number of household among the 11 Distribution companies if the abundant potentialities at the disposal of the company are harnessed and effective utilized . in line with the Nigerian Electricity Reform Act 2004. The board of directors include.
Alhaji Yusuf Hamisu Abubakar chairman, is an officer of the order of the Niger (OON) , Alhaji Yusuf Hamisu Abubakar is a versatile lawyer, academician and technocrat. He is currently the chairman board of director of Kaduna Electric. And engineer Garba Haruna is a chartered Engineer in Nigeria , is a season technocrat with more than 20 years working career in the world class organization and history of excellence.
FLOW CHAT OF THE CASE STUDY
Managing director Statistic
cheif engineering and technical service officer
Head strategy and development
Chief marketing and customer service officer
Head copotrate communication
Head control compliance and regulator
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
The modern society both urban and rural depends on the rapid and efficient movement of people, goods and services. This need for rapid and efficient movement led to a massive increase of traffic this has also brought about congestion and careless driving by some reckless driver on our roads. Increase in traffic congestion and regulated but unintelligent traffic control system have also increased the rate of road accidents, lateness to work and occasionally loss, Muhammad (2007). The presence of traffic congestion cost a lot each year in form of lost productivity. In the year 2000, it was estimated that drivers in 75 of the largest metropolitan areas of the world spent more than sixty eight billion dollars ($68b) in person, hours of lost time and wasted funds. In USA the cost of congestion is estimated to be 67billion dollars each year.
The following are the problems of traffic congestion
a. Road mishaps uncontrollable;
b. Traffic congestion;
c. Over use of traffic wardens;
d. Poor and inaccurate in traffic control on road;
e. Challant attitude of road users;
f. Poor productivity as a result of poor traffic control
1.3 AIM AND OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The aim of this project is to design and construct an intelligent traffic light control system using sensors and a microcontroller with the following objectives:
a. To reduce congestion and mishaps on the roads by increasing movement time on congestion lanes.
b. To serve as possible replacement to the use of traffic wardens on the roads, this is by far less effective and expensive to maintain than the automated method.
c. To enhance a satisfactory and high accuracy in traffic control on our roads .i.e. to overcome limitations caused by human nature such as fatigue, distractions etc, resulting to poor control performance.
d. To improve productivity.
e. To reduce the over use of traffic wardens
1.4 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
This project is a model design and specifically for T – junction road which cannot be implemented on a cross road.
This project is a model design, limited and specifically for T-intersection road. It cannot be used by any other type of road intersection due to it design mode and construction. Other reason why the researcher limited it to T-intersect road are cost of design and construction, time constrain and unavailable of researcher material and unavailability of the model design material.
1.6 DEFINITION OF TERMS
1. LDR: A photo resistor or light-dependent resistor (LDR) or photocell is a light-controlled variable resistor. The resistance of a photo resistor decreases with increasing incident light intensity; in other words, it exhibits photoconductivity. A photo resistor can be applied in light-sensitive detector circuits, and light- and dark-activated Switching circuit
2. LED: Light Emitting diode (LED) is a two lead semi-conductor light source. It is pn-junction diode which emits light when activated. When a suitable voltage is applied to the leads, electrons are able to recombine the electrons holes within the device, reloading energy in the form of photons, this effect is called electroluminescence, and the colour of the light (corresponding to the energy of the photons) is determined by the energy band gap of the semi-conductor.
MICROPROCESSOR: A micro processor is a computer process that incorporates the function of a computer central processing unit (CPU) on a single integrated circuit (ICs). A micro processor be a multipurpose programmable device that accepts digital data as input, processes it’s according to instructions stored in its memory, and provides result as output.
3. POWER SUPPLY CONSTRUCTION: They are more efficient and complex power supply in the world. They are easy ways to get power supply. But if you make a power supply like this at least once in your life you will have a much understanding of how alternating currents (ac) regulated direct current (DC) power.
A powers supply as we refer to it here, converts alternating current from the output on the wall into direct current. Electricity passes through several stages in a voltage regulator type, power supply like this one or like the common wall-want.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» ABSTRACT An FM transmitter is an electronic device which, with the aid of an antenna, produces radio waves. The transmitter itself generates a radio f...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT With the increasing use of extensive IT and Telecommunication systems for sensitive or safety critical applications, the matter of IT and Tel...Continue Reading »
3. PERFORMANCE EVALUATION OF DYNAMIC PRIORITY CALL ADMISSION CONTROL ALGORITHM FOR WCDMA BASED 3G NETWORKS» ABSTRACTThe wideband code division multiple access (WCDMA) based 3G cellular mobile wireless networks is expected to provide diverse range of multimed...Continue Reading »
4. DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION OF A CONGESTION CONTROL SYSTEM FOR MULTI USER TELECOMMUNICATION NETWORK» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY The world is fast becoming a global village and a necessary tool for this process is communic...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT The aim of this project works is to Design and Construct a Microcontroller Based Liquefied Petroleum Gas leakage Detector system using GSM Mo...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION In our society today writing a project is all about applying the theories learnt over the year to produce design and cons...Continue Reading »
7. A CUCKOO SEARCH BASED CO-ORDINATION OF DISTRIBUTED GENERATION UNITS AND SHUNT CAPACITOR BANK IN RADIAL DISTRIBUTION NETWORKS» ABSTRACT This research work presents the Application of Cuckoo Search Algorithm for the simultaneous placement of distributed generation units and shu...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Industrial automation and control has contributed immensely to the high rate of the world’s technological growth. Power...Continue Reading »
9. FACTORS THAT WILL ENHANCE THE IMPROVEMENT OF SKILLS OF ELECTRICAL/ELECTRONICS TECHNOLOGY TEACHERS IN KASTINA STATE» TABLE OF CONTENTS Title page i Approval page ii Declaration iii Dedication iv Acknowledgement v Table of contents vi Abstract ix CHAPTER ONE: INTRODUC...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION Electricity is one of the most important blessings that science has given to mankind. It has also become a part of modern...Continue Reading »