Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
The study investigated the problems of examination malpractice in higher institutions and how to solve them. Three (3) research questions were used for the study with descriptive survey design adopted. Purposive sample technique and sample size of 200 respondents composed of fifty (50) lecturers and hundred and fifty (150) students were used for the study. The responses were analyzed using arithmetic mean (X). The study was reported, among other things, that population explosion, corruption, fear of examination failure, parents’ pressure, laziness on the part of the students, bring about examination fraud. It was further reported that parents’ withdrawal of their children from the affected schools, emergence of bad reputation, employers’ loss of confidence on the educational system, inadequate performance of graduates at work places and cancellation of examinations constitute the effects of examination fraud. It was recommended that adequate funding of schools, adequate re-orientation of all parties to examination fraud, safe keeping of examination question papers and answered scripts, adequate sitting arrangement of students during examinations would help to solve the menace of examination misconduct in our school system.
1.1 Background of the study
Examination malpractice is common in most of our higher institutions in Nigeria. It was its peak in the “70s” as cited by Nnamani P. Hence we hear expo, (1973) common among the secondary school leavers.
Nowadays, “expo” as it is commonly called is practiced even by children in the kindergarten primary institutions according to a nursery | primary school lecturer. She observed that after writing on the black board certain words, concepts or ideals to be dictated to the children based on their (children’s) cognitive level, some exam cheats would quickly scriple it on their desks or at the back of their papers. Then, during the dictation session, those cheats would copy from it. Therefore a good and careful lecturer is an assent in teaching, learning| Experiences for he or she could easily pick up such fraudulent children.
The importance of an efficient and well integrated teaching services in the development of any nation cannot be over emphasized because exam malpractice in the higher institutions in Nigeria, which is the highest citadel of learning from kindergarten, primary, secondary schools and then tertiary institutions, and it constituted an act of indiscipline.
The academic conception of discipline shows it as a part or branch of studies. That is why on the last convocation of institute of management and Technology, the school management or authority cited that certificate was issued both in character and in learning” ( Njeze C. 1997).
To achieve the above ideal, the lecturers’ roles are invaluable. This assertion was supported by Uka (1995) who declared that “ on the health of the nation”. it should be remembered that these students would become ( in future) the leader of tomorrow (Ibian 1986) also cried out that “in every society, the lecturer is number 1 and in his care lies my children and yours”
Ukeje (1980) asserted that education is now, perhaps the fastest growing industry in the country.
“Yet bedaiked by indiscipline activities like exam malpractices, cultism in schools, sexual promiscuity, prostitution, alcoholism, drug addition to maintain but a few. It should be noted that some states in the federation allocate upward of 30% of their annual budget to education.
In order to ameliorate the incidence of examination misconduct, and in fact, improve the standard of our tertiary school education, it is necessary to unveil the modus operandi and multifarious strategies adopted by the perpetrators of this unwholesome and un-academic act and alert students of the ugly effects, academically and other wise. The awareness will help the authorities to check the current pervasiveness of examination malpractice in institutions of higher learning.
1.2 Statement of the Problem
The problem which this project work is set to investigate as envisaged by the researchers is on the causes and effects of examination malpractices among students in higher institutions, especially in Anambra state. This is important as questions have been raised concerning the issue of examination malpractice. Such questions include:
(1) Are there causes and effects of examination malpractice hindering our education system?
(2) What are those factors and in what ways have they hampered examination?
(3) Are these other factors hindering the educational system?
The aim of the research is to find out the answers to those questions during the research work and make efforts to examine the causes and effects of the menace called examination malpractice.
This is important because according to Umaru (2005), researches showed that more than 60% of university graduate in our society today and many undergraduates perpetrate the acts examination misconduct which has simultaneously ravaged the system and made students handicapped towards reading and ardent study. It is therefore, imperative to checkmate this ugly development in our educational industry before it rubbishes it completely.
1.3 Purpose of the Study
The purpose of this study is to find out the causes and effects of examination malpractice in higher institutions in Anambra state. It also seeks to find out various methods employed by students as well as the roles by lecturers, parents, tertiary education authorities and the society at large. Basically, the study seeks to:
1. Ascertain the factors that brings about examination malpractice in higher institutions;
2. Ascertain the effects of examination malpractice on the performance of undergraduates;
3. Ascertain appropriate control measures towards curbing examination malpractice in higher institutions.
1.4 Research Questions
The following research questions served as guides to the study:
1. What are the factors that bring about examination malpractices?
2. What are the effects of examination malpractice on the performance of undergraduates?
3. What arte the control measure towards bringing about a lasting solution to examination malpractices?
1.5 Significance of the Study
The imperativeness of this study cannot be underrated. The study will be of high significance in that it will help the following categories of people in the following ways:
1. The students: This study will serve as an eye opener to the students in knowing the negative effects / consequences of involving oneself the act of examination malpractice.
2. The lecturers: This research work will serve as information to the lecturers on existing forms of examination malpractice / misconduct practiced by students as well as ways of controlling them. Some lecturers are no longer dedicated to their school time table. Some deliver half baked lessons. They leave their notes for students to copy. Such students copy whatever and hand it back to the lecturer who does not care whether students understand the content of the lesson or not. No students want to fail. They therefore seek for means to succeed. These students therefore engage themselves in various forms of examination malpractice.
3. Education Authorities: The lecturers, the authorities will benefit immensely from this study as it will help keep them informed on the recent techniques involved in examination malpractice causes and at the same time open their eyes to the need to. School authorities on their own part do not help matters. Inability of the school authority to provide adequate facilities such as seats, electricity etc., hinder learning. A situation whereby six cluster on a seat meant for three students is just unhealthy for smooth examination.
4. The government: Our government would not be left out in the list of the beneficiaries of this study. The research work will help the government to see reasons why trained and qualified lecturers should be recruited into our tertiary education, why seminars and workshops should be organized by the government for the lecturers to enable update their knowledge.
5. The society / parents: This study will in no small measure assist parents and the society at large in knowing what their children and wards do in school and thus, see ways of assisting them to learn and concentrate more on their studies and depend less on external studies help during examination. Most parents and guardians do not provide the basic materials needed by their wards. Many students in our secondary schools do not have textbooks, writing materials etc. It is a well known fact that lack of needed necessary educational materials, make learning difficult let alone examination preparation.
It is of great importance to note that at the completion of this research work various secondary schools, communities, towns, states and Nigeria in general will find the result of this research work to be beneficial to great extent. It would play an essential role in the standard of education and in the task of economic growth and development. The significance of this study is to reveal the depth into which examination malpractice has plunged in higher institutions, most especially in Anambra State. It is also to discover the forms, causes, consequences and permanent cure or permanent solution to the problem.
1.6 Scope of the study
This study is on the causes, effects and solutions of examination malpractice on the academic performance among higher institutions. It was conducted in Anambra State.
1.7 Limitations of the Study
There is no doubt that every project work encounters on problem or the other. The researchers in the course of this work encountered the challenges. These challenges include;
1. Respondents’ attitudes: this was the first problem encountered by the researchers. It was not easy to get the respondents to respond to the instrument on the ground that their school may be tagged “examination malpractice centre‟
2. Time availability: The researchers found it a little cumbersome meeting together in the course of carrying out this investigation. This could be attributed to their final examination papers which rarely allow them time for sitting and discussing together.
3. Finance: Finance was another factor that posed a serious challenge to the realization of this project work. Huge some of money was involved in the acquisition of materials needed for this work. Money was also spent on transportation to the place where the investigation was carried out. Photocopying, typing and retyping of the work all involved money.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR EDUCATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION: It is a widely accepted fact that the main pointer to social and technological advancement of any community is the level...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Research Distance learning is backed with computer use & ICT, that have a tendency to develop into ...Continue Reading »
3. EFFECTS OF FIELD-BASED TEACHING STRATEGY ON INTEREST, RETENTION AND PERFORMANCE IN CLIMATE CHANGE AMONG SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS IN ANCHAU, KADUNA,...» ABSTRACT This study investigated the effects of Field based Teaching Strategy on Interest, Retention and Performance in Climate Change among Secondary...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY "Multimedia" is currently the buzzword in educational technology. Multimedia here refers to combi...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY For many years, behavioral and educational researchers have studied the psychological effects of ...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT The study is aimed at analyzing the parent’s attitude towards the study of sex education into the secondary schools curriculum in Ikpob...Continue Reading »
7. THE VARIOUS STRATEGIES FOR IMPROVING THE UTILIZATION OF WORKSHOP TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT FOR TEACHING BASIC TECHNOLOGY IN TECHNICAL COLLEGE KATSINA STATE» ...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This study was carried out to critically examine the Impact of Entrepreneurial Education on Disabled Students in Enugu Metropolis. The study ...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This study was on the factors associated with mass failure of students in the Geography in secondary schools in Nsukka L.G.A of Enugu State. ...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Early in the 21st century, we have seen a variety of changes regarding how people learn, access i...Continue Reading »