Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 41 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1 - 5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Questionnaire, Data Analysis,Abstract.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
The project work was carried out in Egor local government area of Edo state and the ten schools were randomly selected to look out for the influence of home environment on the academic performance of a child. Some socio cultural problems which are likely to affect a child’s academic performance were examined with four research questions. The instrument used in the collection of data was the questionnaire, which were tested statistically using sample percentage scores. The statistical analysis is that a child whose parents are educated performed better than those whose parents are less educated. The study also shows that learning materials stimulate a child to learn and that a child who has cordial relationship with his/ her parents performs better in school than those who do not. It as also discovered that cultural factors can also influenced a child’s academic performance for instance; a child is likely to face conflict divergent cultures
TABLE OF CONTENT
Statement of the problem
Purpose of the study
Delimitation of the study
Limitations of the study
Significance of the study
Definition of terms
Chapter Two- Literature Review
Population of the study
Sample and sampling procedures
Validity of the instrument
Method of data analysis
Chapter Four - Data Analysis and Interpretation
Suggestions for further research
BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
The academic performance of any child cannot be separated from the home environment in which the child grows up. A healthy home environment offers emotional security to a child.
The schools cannot simply provide a continuation of the home environment, but they can play an inestimable role in laying the foundation for the child learn how to read and write, however, this influence is characterized by various factors such as the parents home background learning facilities, levels of parents educational attainment and other socio cultural issues.
Over the years, the society had recorded a persisted increase in the rate of poor performance in the various schools examinations such as the senior secondary school examination (S.S.C.E). Comments from educators have shown that the blame from look of performance has been as a result of neglect and carefree attitude towards academic works by students and parents.
It is against this background that the researcher has decided to investigate on the academic performance of a child.
There are innumerable factors which affect a child academic performance as stated above.
It is obvious that a child academic performance is directly related to his her environment as well as learning facilities and other socio cultural issues. Every child is born with the same intellectual ability, but a good and conducive environment with adequate learning facilities will help to boost the intellectual and academic capability of the child. Parents from good learning environment will always have good attitudes towards education and provide learning materials such as the television, instructional video tract, books and journals e.t.c that will facilitate the learning process. These as a matter of fact can give a child an edge over his or her counterparts in an environment with poor learning facilities.
Educated parents will always express the belief that it is important to help a child with his or her home work and to review the school work that the child had done but a child from a poor home environment to a large extent is deprived of such opportunities and thus, he or she struggles to service he teaching and learning process. A student in this category is therefore not confident and consisted. Hence he or she experiences how academic performance hence, the motivation of any intelligent child towards learning is being accelerated by the positive influence of his or her environment, while others are negatively affected in terms of their poor home environment.
STATEMENT OF PROBLEM
The importance of education in an individual cannot be over emphasized. Education has a long lasting impact on ones life. For example the acquisition of knowledge and skills and all other things that is worthwhile, which are transmitted to a person through formal and informal education determines his or her potential in future.
Basically, we understand that the home is the first school for a child where he or she is taught the basics norms and values by the parents before the child leaves for the formal education. Contrary to popular opinion. Learning and reading begins in school but the first foundation of the child begins in school but the first foundation of the child begins at home. (Binkley 1998)
Base on those facts, this research has to do with asking the following questions on why does student home environment affect student performance in school.
· Unconducive learning environment reduces a child academic performance
· Can the attitude of illiterate parents affect the child performance
· Can the attitudes of illiterate parents of affect the child’s performance
PURPOSE OF STUDY
The purpose of this study is to carefully investigate the relationship between a child home environments, level of parent’s educational attainment, learning materials a child’s academic performance in school. In other words the research seeks to know how variation in the above aforementioned factors in a Childs home can influence his or her performance in school, after which the research intends to suggest possible ways which these problems can be solved.
SIGNIFICANCE OF STUDY
Education is of immense importance to individuals and to the society at large. Educators have greatly assumed that the home environment, to a large extent determines the progress of an individual in learning situation. This study will therefore highlight the significant differences in various home environments. The study will enable educationist and curriculum planners to take full cognizance of individual difference among children in any teaching/ learning environment while planning. It will also help teachers to cater for the various classes of school children in the classroom.
Also, it will enable the teacher to adopt new dimensional approaches while teaching finally parents irrespective of their educational qualification should encourage the child at home, and also provide the maximum stimulation at all times.
As regard to the purpose of this research, the following research questions provide the focus of the study.
i) Does the home environment have any influence on a Childs academic performance
ii) Do the parents and their academic attainment have any influence on a Childs academic performance
iii) Do the parents and their academic attainment have any influence on the academic performance
iv) Is the academic performance of a child influence by his or her socio cultural background?
SCOPE OF STUDY
This study is mainly concerned with the influence of home environment on the academic performance of a child. However the researcher is limited to some selected secondary schools in Egor local government area of Edo state
DEFINITION OF TERMS
i) ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE: this can be define as the score a child or individual obtain in teat or examination based on hi or her learning experiences.
ii) HOME ENVIRONMENT: home environment in this context simply means the immediate surroundings and first institution where a child is taught the basic norms and values by the parents before he or she proceeds to acquire formal education
iii) SOCIO STATUS: this is the total state of an individual based on inequality in terms of occupation, level of education and other societal issues
iv) SOCIO- CULTURAL BACKGROUND: this is the social and cultural makeup of an individual in relationship with his or her environment
v) EDUCATION: formal instruction or training given to a child in school
vi) PARENT: any person (man or woman) with legal claim of a child
vii) EDUCATED PARENTS: owner of a female child or male child with formal education in addition to informal education
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR EDUCATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. COMPARISON OF ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE OF JUNIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS IN ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND INTEGRATED SCIENCE IN EXTERNAL EXAMINATION» Abstract The study compared the scores of students in English Language and Integrated Science at the Junior Secondary School Certificate Examination (...Continue Reading »
2. ASSESSMENT OF FACTORS PRIMARY SCHOOL RESPONSIBLE FOR THE POOR ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE IN PUBLIC IN GWAGWALADA AREA COUNCIL ABUJA» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study Poor academic performance according to Aremu (2003) is a performance that is adjudged by the exam...Continue Reading »
3. A STUDY ON THE INFLUENCE OF SOCIO-ECONOMIC STATUS OF PARENTS ON THE ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE OF SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS: A CASE STUDY OF SELECTED SECOND...» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY The relevance of education in the upbringing of children can not be overemphasized. Since the childre...Continue Reading »
4. THE IMPACT OF TEACHERS’ WELFARE PACKAGE ON TEACHERS’ JOB SATISFACTION IN ORHIONMWON LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF EDO STATE» ABSTRACT This study was designed to investigate the impact of teachers’ welfare package on Teachers’ job satisfaction in Orhionmwon Local ...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Parental occupation is one of the key factors that determine a child’s/students decision career...Continue Reading »
6. INTERNAL CONTROL IN AN EXAMINING BODY A CASE STUDY OF WEST AFRICAN EXAMINATION COUNCIL ENUGU ZONAL OFFICE» ABSTRACT The purpose of this study is to examine internal control in WAEC examinations. The study investigates key problems in internal controls regar...Continue Reading »
7. THE EFFECT OF SOCIO-ECONOMIC BACKGROUND ON ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE OF SECONDARY SCHOOL BIOLOGY STUDENTS (CASE STUDY OF ENUGU NORTH LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA ...» Abstract This study determined the effect of socio Economics background on Academic performance of Secondary school Biology Students in order to study...Continue Reading »
8. EFFECTS OF COOPERATIVE LEARNING STRATEGIES AND LOCUS OF CONTROL ON STUDENTS ACHIEVEMENT IN STATISTICS PROCESS» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study The technological advancement of any nation to a large extent is dependent on a sound scientific ...Continue Reading »
9. EFFECTS OF STRESS ON THE ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE OF STUDENTS USING THE FACULTY OF EDUCATION OF THE UNIVERSITY OF BENIN STUDENTS AS A CASE-STUDY» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Background to the Study Universities all over the world are places where learning is sought at its maximum level and it is th...Continue Reading »
10. EXAMINING THE OBJECTIVES AND PROBLEMS ASSOCIATED WITH THE IMPLEMENTATION OF UNIVERSAL BASIC EDUCATION AND SUGGEST POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS WHICH WILL ASSIST...» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study Universal Basic Education (UBE) is the type of education in quality and content that is given...Continue Reading »