Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Most of the unpleasant youths activities, which surfaces all countries in the world, are precipitated by the use of harmful drugs and alcohol, (Center for Disease Control, 2012). The rate at which people use drugs are so serious to an extent that they have been a source of concern to the government and international organizations such as WHO, UNICEF.
World Health Organization (WHO, 2013) reported that about 85% of young adults in the United States use drugs, an average 1.5 million are being treated for drug abuse everyday.
In addition, up to fifty percent (50%) of American men have problems that are caused by drug abuse (WHO, 2013). The impact of drug among adolescents has been a hall mark of morally bankrupt, decedent, wasted generations, loss of our societal values and ideals. The prevalence rate of drugs particularly among youth in secondary schools is one that increase day by day affecting the carrier of our growing generation and unborn ones, National Drug and Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA, 2008).
According to the United States of America reports on drugs usage (2006) states that drug abuse is tearing apart our societies such that crime is increasing disease such as HIV/AIDS is spreading fast and killing our youths and our future. Studies have shown that Nigerian Youths generally depend on one form of drug or the other for their various social, political, educational and psychological activities. The drugs that are commonly used include Indian Hemp, Tobacco, Alcohol, Benelyn, Petrol and Glue, Diazepam (Johnson, 1990). A research conducted by UNICEF (2006) revealed that people between the age of 15 – 30 years are highly vulnerable probably because of the peer group influence. They use drugs for many reasons including curiosity to clam them down and in the events of stress or failure (examination failure) Tobacco and alcohol use of young ages increases the use of other drugs later leading to drug abuse and dependence (UNICEF, 2006), the prevalence rate of drug abuse in Nigeria showed 22.1% of school youth age between 13 and 17 years use tobacco, in South Africa, it is 19.1%, in Ghana 15.1% and in Kenya 16.2%, World Health Organization (WHO, 2001)
Although opinion differ on the use of drug by youths. Some youths do experiment and stop or continue to use drugs occasionally without significant problems. While others develop addiction (dependence) moving on the more dangerous drugs and causing significant harm to themselves and society at large (Jerold and Austy, 2004). Yet, drug abuse is too devastating and very shameful to the extent that both Nations and International organizations all over the world are worried about the spread of this scourge amongst youths. Despite the efforts of Nigerian Government to curtail and stop the trafficking and circulation of dangerous drugs through agencies like National Drugs and Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA). Youths and young adults continuously being engaged in the use of more dangerous drugs to enhance their performance (Madaki, 2007).
Madaki, (2007) Due to the reason above the researcher therefore intends to conduct the research on the influence of drug abuse or academic achievement of secondary school students in Kaduna South Local Government area of Kaduna state.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
The increasing rate of drug abuse and other substances consumption among the secondary school youths in Kaduna South Local Government Area, has been a great source of worry and concern to people at the local government level. Drug abuse among Kaduna South youth have caused them serious consequences affecting individuals health and personal life as well as having negative impact on the society, the unfortunate situation, effect and rapid growth of drug abuse among students of secondary schools in Kaduna South Local Government Area have prompted the researchers to carry out this task.
1.3 PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
The study seeks to conduct study on the influence of drug abuse on academic achievement of secondary school students in Kaduna South Local Government Area, Kaduna State.
i. To identify the factors responsible for drug abuse
ii. To identify the effects of drug abuse
iii. To identify control measures of Drug abuse.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
i. What are the factors responsible for drug abuse?
ii. What are the effects of drug abuse?
iii. What strategies are designed for the control measures of drug abuse?
1.5 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
It is hope that, the findings of this study will help in tracing those factors responsible for drug abuse among students in secondary schools, and will be of immense benefits to the government, and its agencies like National Drugs and Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) and National Food, Drugs Administration and Control (NAFDAC) etc. the study will also be of benefits to the management of the schools in controlling and prevention of drug abuse among students in secondary schools in Kaduna South Local Government Area of Kaduna State. It will also help the teachers to identify those students with abuse of drugs. It will help the drugs users to change their attitudes by stopping the use of alcohol and other drugs to enhance their performance. Hopefully the recommendations made at the end of the study will be of benefits to the government and other interested groups on how to limit production, circulation, distribution and consumption of the hard drugs. It will also help other researchers and students who may wish to replicate the study. The study will help other researchers who will likely carry out a similar research work as a source of literature.
1.6 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
Although drug abuse is a problem which is common to not only the Local Government but both National and international levels, for the purpose of this study, the study in limited to students and teachers in Kaduna South Local Government Area of Kaduna State.
1.7 LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
Despite the demands faced by researchers during the administration and collection of the instrument, the researchers will take much care on the negative effect that will constitute to the validity of the research during the analysis of the data collected. The challenges are the state of insecurity in the state and financial constraints during the administration of the instrument.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR EDUCATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. THE EXTENT OF THE USE OF INSTRUCTIONAL MATERIAL IN THE EFFECTIVE TEACHING AND LEARNING OF BIOLOGY IN SECONDARY SCHOOL» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Background of the Study Science is the bedrock on which modern day technological breakthrough is hinged. Different authors ac...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This project was basically carried out to investigate, analyze and ameliorate the roles of principals of secondary school in Kebbi State. Fro...Continue Reading »
3. THE EFFECT OF CLASSROOM MANAGEMENT AND CONTROL ON THE ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE OF BIOLOGY STUDENTS IN SENIOR SECONDARY» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study Classroom Management is about creation of positive learning environments. But the concept of posi...Continue Reading »
4. THE INFLUENCE OF PRINCIPALS’ LEADERSHIP STYLES ON SECONDARY SCHOOL TEACHERS JOB PERFORMANCE IN SAPELE LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF DELTA STATE» Abstract This study investigated the influence of principals’ leadership styles on teachers’ job performance in public secondary schools i...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY The effect of marital conflict on the academic performance of students (a case study of Esan Cent...Continue Reading »
6. THE EFFECT OF IMPROVISATION OF INSTRUCTIONAL MATERIALS FOR BIOLOGY INSTRUCTION IN SENIOR SECONDARY SCHOOLS IN EGOR LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA, EDO STATE» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Background of the Study Science education must seek to permit the individual to develop to the fullest his capacities for adj...Continue Reading »
7. THE EFFECT OF DRUG ABUSE ON THE YOUTH IN JOS SOUTH LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF PLATEAU STATE NIGERIA» ABSTRACT In totality, the aim of this topic “the effects of drug abuse on the youth” is to find out the causes and its effects so as to pr...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT Computer education was introduced into the Nigerian education system in the late 1980s. this was the recommendation of the ministerial counci...Continue Reading »
9. THE EFFECT OF CLASSROOM MANAGEMENT AND CONTROL ON THE ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE OF SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS: A CASE STUDY OF SECONDARY SCHOOLS IN OREDO L...» ABSTRACT This research work has been designed to investigate the problems affecting classroom management and control and identify the solution facing ...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study Primary education is the foundation a child requires in his or her educational pursuit. The quali...Continue Reading »