Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY
The study of home economics has increased overtime in Nigeria; home economics as a subject play a significant role in the life of many in most of the Nigeria societies.
Home economics can be seen to contribute to life in different ways; home economics as an aspect of vocational and technical education plays significant roles in the growth and development of the national economy through an improved teaching and learning skills.
Home economics as an aspect of vocational education is a skill oriented subject and requires the contributions of both human and material resources.
According to Uko-Aviomoh (2005) stated that home economics as an entrepreneurial-based and skill-oriented field of study is expected to equip learners with saleable skills that make for self-reliance and paid employment. Home economics as a field of study is divided into three major groups which are:
1. Food and nutrition
2. Clothing and textile
3. Home management
The above mention groups of home economics cannot be properly taught without the provision of both human and materials resources.
Even with the contributions of home economics to the growth and development of the national economy there are still some problems associated with home economics which is the problem of teaching the subject “home economics”.
Over the years there have been series of challenges faced by most teachers in teaching home economics in schools and colleges.
According to Arubayi (2010) stated that without funds these material resources cannot be made available and this will lead to poor quality teaching which in turns have a negative effect on learning abilities of the individual, poor motivation and frustration on the part of the students.
It is to this reason that the researcher wishes to carry out a study on the challenges of teaching home economics in Nigeria schools and colleges using Owerri North local government area as the case study.
1.2 STATEMENT OF PROBLEM
The study the challenges of teaching home economics in Nigeria schools and colleges can into being as a result of poor performance of students in home economics. These challenges is found mostly in the rural and semi-urban areas of Nigeria; take Owerri North for example, most of the secondary schools in most area does not have economics laboratory; this has had significance effect on the teaching and learning of home economics especially in the area of clothing and textile and food management; this aspect of home economics requires the use of materials such as sewing machine, cloth materials etc. for demonstration; at times the materials will be available but will not be enough to accommodate the students and this becomes a problem
1.3 AIMS AND OBJECTIVES OF STUDY
The main aim of the study is to examine the challenges of teaching home economics in Nigeria schools and colleges. Other specific objectives of the study are:
1. To examine the effect availability of the human and materials resources on the teaching of home economics in schools and colleges
2. To examine the relationship between home economics and national development in Nigeria
3. To investigate on the factors affecting the teaching of home economics in schools and colleges
4. To examine the effect of teachers quality on the teaching efficiency of home economics in schools
5. To proffer solution to the above problem
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
The study came up with the following research questions in order to ascertain the above stated objectives. The research questions for the study include:
1. What is the effect availability of the human and materials resources on the teaching of home economics in schools and colleges?
2. Is there any relationship between home economics and national development in Nigeria?
3. What are the factors affecting the teaching of home economics in schools and colleges?
4. What is the effect of teacher’s quality on the teaching efficiency of home economics in schools?
1.5 RESEARCH HYPOTHESIS
H0: the availability of the human and materials resources has no significant effect on the teaching of home economics in schools and colleges
H1: the availability of the human and materials resources has significant effect on the teaching of home economics in schools and colleges
1.6 SIGNIFICANCE OF STUDY
The study will be of immense benefit to the entire Owerri North local government area, the schools and colleges; it will also help teachers to understand what is obtainable in the teaching and learning home economics. Finally the study will be of great benefit to other researchers that wishes to carry out similar research on the above topic
1.7 SCOPE OF STUDY
The study the challenges of teaching home economics in Nigeria schools and colleges is limited to Owerri North local government area of Imo state as it will cover all the challenges faced by most schools and colleges in teaching and learning home economics
1.8 LIMITATION OF STUDY
Financial constraint- Insufficient fund tends to impede the efficiency of the researcher in sourcing for the relevant materials, literature or information and in the process of data collection (internet, questionnaire and interview).
Time constraint- The researcher will simultaneously engage in this study with other academic work. This consequently will cut down on the time devoted for the research work
1.9 DEFINITION OF TERMS
HOME ECONOMICS: cookery and other aspects of household management, especially as taught at school
burime, O.M. (2000) Problems and Prospect of Clothing and Textiles in Home Economics Programme in Delta State, Abraka (Unpublished M.Ed Thesis, Delta State University, Abraka.  Aghenta, J.A. (1985) “Analysis of Education and Employment of Vocational and Technical School Graduates. Human Resource Development Approach” Trends in Vocational Education in Nigeria.  Aheazu, J. (2005) Repositioning Education in Nigeria. A Lead Paper Presented at the 4th Annual Conference of the National Association for Research Development at the University of Port Harcourt: 15th-17th August.  Ajala, J.A. (2002) Reconceptualising the Home Economics Curriculum. Ibadan Maybest Publication.  Akindule, O. (1988) Non-Government Funding Source: Higher Education “A Pragmatic Approach to Management in Nigeria.  Aniagboso, T. (1993), “Strategies for Financing Vocational Education with less Reliance on Government Grant” Nigeria Vocational Journal Vol. 5, pp. 55-60.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR EDUCATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» ABSTRACT The aim of the research is to find out the reactions of parents towards their children's education in view of the present level of unemployme...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Drug abuse is a social problem that has spread and increased rapidly in our educational instituti...Continue Reading »
3. FACTORS INFLUENCING THE CHOICE OF TEACHING AS A CAREER AMONG MALE STUDENTS OF THE COLLEGE OF EDUCATION EKIADOLOR» ABSTRACT the purpose of this research was to examine and investigate some of the factors influencing the choice of teaching as a career among male stu...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT The thrust of this study is a sociolinguistic analysis of the gender on language use. The method of investigation used for this study is ques...Continue Reading »
5. THE INFLUENCE OF PENTECOSTAL PENTECOSTAL CHURCHES ON THE DEVELOPMENT OF EDUCATION. A CASE STUDY OF LIVING FAITH PENTECOSTAL CHURCH (WINNERS CHAPEL)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY A global study and research on Pentecostal pentecostal churches is an on going assignment because...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT The purpose of this study is to examine the factors hindering availability of qualified teacher in the effective teaching and learning of Soc...Continue Reading »
7. EXTENT OF THE USE OF INSTRUCTIONAL MATERIALS IN TEACHING AND LEARNING OF INTEGRATED SCIENCE AND COMPUTER SCIENCE IN JUNIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY In teaching, it is highly desirable to know exactly what one aims to achieve as it is in all grea...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study As far as Edo state is an education centres Benin city in particular, it has a large number of pr...Continue Reading »
9. INVESTIGATION INTO THE CAUSES OF STUDENTS POOR ATTITUDE TOWARDS THE STUDY OF SECRETARIAL ADMINISTRATION IN TERTIARY INSTITUTIONS (A case study of Enug...» ABSTRACT The purpose of carrying out this research was to investigate on the causes of students poor attitude towards the study of secretarial studies...Continue Reading »
10. INFLUENCE OF GUIDANCE AND COUNSELLING ON ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE OF STUDENTS IN PUBLIC SECONDARY SCHOOLS» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study Guidance and counseling are two closely interrelated concepts. According to Makinde (1984) and Pa...Continue Reading »