Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 77 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
1.1 Background of the Study
The modern trend in education and the complex nature of learning and instruction have made the role of the teachers more challenging. This new role does not just involve the more transmission of information to students but it involves looking at the problems associated with learning and instruction. The National Policy on Education (NPE, 2004) in Nigeria emphasized that our children should be educated properly so that they can acquire skills and competencies that would enable them function well and solve problems in the society. The accomplishment and realization of these important educational goals in Nigeria lies in the new trend in the educational approaches.
These new approaches to learning and instruction expose the students to conceptualize and effectively manage their own learning and thus reinforce their learning and transfer their training in practical situations. Despite the new approach to learning and instruction, English language at the Senior Secondary School level in Nigeria has been plagued with poor results and low achievements. Annual results from West African Examinations Council (WAEC) reveal woeful performances from the students who have made enrolment for English language examinations a yearly ritual. It is worrisome to note too that the performance of these students has continued to deteriorate year after year. It is understood that if the situation in English Language remains like this, it will affect both the economic and technological growth of the state. This is because a good mastery of English language is mandatory on all students in order to do well in other secondary school subjects. Students who are handicapped in English language are therefore likely to be handicapped in the acquisition of skills in arts and technological related subjects.
From the foregoing, therefore, we can conclude that English language is an indispensable language of communication in Kaduna.
1.2 Statement of the Problem
This research as stated above concerns itself with the study of strategies for improving low academic performance in English language by suggesting possible solution to the following questions:
i) What are the attitude/feelings of the students towards the studying of English language?
ii) What account for the decline in performance in the subject (English language)?
iii) Do they have enough material and human resources for the teaching and learning process?
iv) Do they understand the subject very well?
v) Does the Senior Secondary School Certificate (SSCE) syllabus have either a positive or a negative effect on the student performance?
1.3 Purpose of the Study
The main purpose of this study is to find out strategies for improving the performance of secondary school student in English language. Specifically it ought to:
i) To find out the types of facilities available in the secondary schools for teaching English language.
ii) To identify the methods of teaching used in teaching English language.
iii) To identify the extent to which teachers are motivated to teach English language.
iv) To identify strategies for improving the low academic performance of students in English language.
1.4 Research Questions
The following research questions were formulated to guide the study:
i) What type of facilities is available for teaching English language in secondary schools in Kaduna State?
ii) What are the methods of teaching adopted by English Language teachers?
iii) To what extent are English Language teachers motivated?
iv) What are the strategies for improving the low academic performance of students in English Language?
1.5 Significance of the Study
This research work intends to investigate the student achievement in the subject. The research will be significant in the following ways:
i) The findings of the study will shade light on the nature, contents examination and performance level of the SSCE examination.
ii) The findings of the study will contribute meaningfully to knowledge of teaching and learning English language especially with the role of English in the day-to-day communication.
iii) The findings of the students will also benefit Ministry of Education in Kaduna State by recruiting qualified teachers in order to improve the performance of the students.
1.6 Delimitation of the Study
The study covers strategies for improving low academic performance in English Language in Secondary Schools in Kaduna State. Respondents were drawn from selected secondary schools in Kaduna North Local Government Area.
1.7 Limitation of the Study
In any type of research work, are many hindrances that the researcher must come across in the course of the assignment. The problem encounter in the course of this could be attributed to delays in gathering the relevant data needed for the research work and uncompromising attitude of the people to give the required information. Time is another major limitation as far as the research work in concern. The time needed to implement the work may not be sufficient for logistic reasons. Financial resources may be lacking in carrying out the required work of the project.
1.8 Definition of Terms
· Performance: This relates to the execution carried out or putting into effect the task, job or operation.
· Teacher: A professional trained to impart knowledge to pupils/students.
· Assessment: Evaluation or estimation of the nature, value or quality of something or a subject.
· Effectiveness: It is the ability to determine appropriate objectives, that is, the degree at which School’s goals are met within established resources “doing the right thing.”
· Indiscipline: This can be described as a mode of life not in conformation with rule and non-subjection to contain. The term connotes the regulations capable of obstructing the smooth and orderly function of the school system
· Reading: Is the process of receiving and inter
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR EDUCATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. AM ASSESSMENT ON THE RELEVANCE OF MODERN INSTRUCTIONAL MATERIALS IN TEACHING HAUSA LANGUAGE (A CASE STUDY OF SOME SELECTED SECONDARY SCHOOL I...» TABLE OF CONTENT Title Page i Approval Page ii Dedication iii Acknowledgment iv Table of Content v CHAPTER ONE: BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY 1.1 Introducti...Continue Reading »
2. INFLUENCE OF GUIDANCE AND COUNSELLING ON ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE OF STUDENTS IN PUBLIC SECONDARY SCHOOLS» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study Guidance and counseling are two closely interrelated concepts. According to Makinde (1984) and Pa...Continue Reading »
3. ELECTRONIC LEARNING SYSTEM FOR EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS (A CASE STUDY OF NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY (NIIT) BENIN CITY» ABSTRACT This project work is aimed at investigating the electronic learning system for educational institution using National Institute of Informatio...Continue Reading »
4. ICT TRAINING IN NIGERIAN ARMY: CHALLENGES AND PROSPECTS FOR OPERATIONAL EFFICIENCY AND EFFECTIVENESS» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND The armed forces of nations are required to protect the territorial integrity, contribute to internal secu...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT The study attempted to examine the mode of entry into the university and students' academic performance at University of Lagos, Akoka, Lagos....Continue Reading »
6. INSTRUCTIONAL PROBLEMS ASSOCIATED WITH THE POOR ACADEMICS OF CHEMISTRY STUDENTS IN SECONDARY SCHOOL» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Background to the Study Chemistry as a science subject plays a vital role in transforming the environment and improving the g...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT The enforcement of the Child’s Right Act has remained inadequate and unsatisfactory since its enactment in 2003. As an effort to domest...Continue Reading »
8. PROBLEMS OF TEACHING ENGLISH AS A SECOND LANGUAGE IN NIGERIA SECONDARY SCHOOL (A CASE STUDY OF IGBO ETITI LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA) OF ENUGU STATE» ABSTRACT Although English language is now the language of government, business and commerce, education, the mass media, literature and internal as wel...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This study aimed to investigate the relationship between principals’ supervisory behaviors and teachers’ job satisfaction in secondary sc...Continue Reading »
10. THE EXTENT OF USE OF INSTRUCTIONAL MATERIALS FOR EFFECTIVE TEACHING - LEARNING OF CHRISTIAN RELIGIOUS STUDIES IN JUNIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study In teaching, it is highly desirable to know exactly what one aims to achieve as it is in all grea...Continue Reading »