Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
1.1 Background to the Study [
Indiscipline is an act of not conforming to order, policies procedures, rules and regulations of a society. The issue of indiscipline is one of the social problems among the Nigerian youths in primary, secondary and post-secondary school. The effects of indiscipline are manifested in all works of life including the smooth running of schools (Fafunwa, 2009).
Education in any perspective finds its usefulness in the areas of moral, intellectual, social and spiritual development of the child. This development to a great extent is a function of the quality of the educational system, which is partly measured on the basis of students' discipline. Discipline constitutes one of the fundamental, critical and challenging functions of the teacher. Mostly, when viewed from the fact that students whom they manage their affairs are drawn from different home background, accommodates the influence of peer groups and thus, were bound to exhibit different patterns of behaviour that may not conform with the instructional standard of the school (Aminu, 2012).
In any civilized society, the fostering of discipline is a necessary condition on the maintenance of law and order, it is a pre-requisite for the promotion of political, social and economic development of a society or nation achieves is to a large extent a function by its various organs and what they are able to inculcate in the youth is very essential in order to ensure loyalty of the citizens and to the social and economic development of the country. The National Policy of Education (1981) stated the purpose of education as follows:
"To create a good society where all its members can use their disposal to develop all the natural resources within the environment in pursuit of the self goal and objective”
There are been a considerable exhibition of indiscipline in school of which a lot of bad behaviour such as smoking, drunkenness, stealing, gambling. bribery, corruption and drug addiction flourished. In fact, it was in realization of these problems that led to the launching of the ethical War Against Indiscipline (W.A.I.) by the Buhari military regime in 1984.
The family as agent of socialization could have significant impact on the child. This is evident from the fact that is the first place, which the child learns about the environment and the world at large. Parents inculcate in the child their acquired behavioural patterns. The school as agent of socialization and training is responsible for molding our future leader and improving manpower needed in our society. Indiscipline rears its head through the form of lack of local commitment and dedication to work, lateness to work, absenteeism, neglect of duty and parents who feels less concern about their children by going out to work very early and coming late when the children are already asleep. All these have a way of retarding progress of work and also limit our effectiveness and efficiency.
The school as an organization should be able to delivers humanitarian services, which is geared towards the betterment to the government and the society, such as the ability to inculcate moral, punctuality, regularity, honesty and dedication of work. This means the school should be able to produce disciplined students who will later become good citizens free from any indiscipline act be it drug addiction, gambling, truancy school or other vices. Indiscipline, which serves as a major source of social vices in Nigeria is of great concern to the parents, government and teachers such vices include stealing, pocket picking, drug abuse among youth also constitute nuisance to the government and society.
1.2 Statement of the Problem
In the teaching and learning process certain identifiable problems of discipline militate against its success and achievements.
This means for effective teaching and learning to take place there must be discipline in order to make reasonable achievements.
This study is concerned with the investigation of the causes of indiscipline among students in selected secondary schools and how it affects the academic performance of the child; the danger of indiscipline in school as well as its influence on the child cannot be over emphasized. The school environment, teachers, parents, society, peer groups have their individual and collective role. Therefore, the following problems areas need to be investigated:
i. That indiscipline affects the academic performance of the students.
ii. That indiscipline contributes to the poor performance of the child
iii. That indiscipline can be attributed to parents' inability to meet the
1.3 Purpose of the study
The purpose of this is study is to determine an investigation into indiscipline among students in selected Secondary Schools in Kaduna North Local Government Area of Kaduna State. Specifically, it seeks to:
1. Does parents influence contributes to indiscipline among secondary
school students in Kaduna North Local Government Area?
2. Does teachers' attitude contribute to indiscipline among secondary school
students in Kaduna North Local Government Area?
3. Do government activities contribute to indiscipline among secondary school
students in Kaduna North Local Government Area?
4. Does peer group influence contributes to indiscipline among secondary
school students in Kaduna North Local Government Area?
The following hypotheses are drawn for the study:
There is no significant difference between parents attitudes towards indiscipline among students in selected secondary schools in Kaduna North Local Government Area of Kaduna State.
There is no significant difference between teacher attitude towards indiscipline among students in selected secondary schools in Kaduna North Local Government Area.
There is no significant difference between government activities towards indiscipline among students in selected secondary schools in Kaduna North Local Government Area.
There is no significant difference between peer group influences
towards indiscipline among students in selected secondary schools in Kaduna North Local Government Area.
1.6 Significance of the Study
The findings of this study will benefit the following: teachers, students, parents, policy makers, community leaders, Imams, pastors etc. The study will assist school administrators to know major causes of disciplinary problems and the measures teachers and students perceive as appropriate for maintaining discipline in School. The knowledge about these will be a guide for addressing disciplinary problems.
This study will provide contribution to schools as it reduces the number of indiscipline students in schools: It will boost academic achievement, and it will reduce the number of criminal cases and open a way for maintenance of rules and regulations.
Also the study will provide a contribution to the body of knowledge, policy maker and Ministry of Education as it goes with millennium development goals on education.
These findings are essential as they will help in understanding the overall social, academic and indiscipline problems of the students in the study area. This study is significant because it reveals the degree of indiscipline among students in the study area. It is also significant and important to the development of children mostly in this our complex society where the activities of indiscipline students has become the order of the day.
This finding would be useful to the parents, as well as other bodies concerned like Imams and pastors with checking indiscipline problems in the study area and Nigeria at large.
The findings will provide a source of reference for intervention programmes in Kaduna North Local Government Area of Kaduna state. It is also hoped that the findings of this study will be useful for the policy makers in our tertiary institutions across the country.
The findings of this study will be useful to future researchers on the topic, as they will build on the strength and limitations of the study.
And the findings of the study will be useful to the community leaders who may enact laws to punish offenders in their jurisdiction. The activities of these community leaders can reach the wider society and will assist in curbing the menace of indiscipline in the study area and the country at large. The present study wills no doubt, spur interest for further studies.
1.7 Scope and limitation of the Study
The study focus on school indiscipline among selected secondary schools in Kaduna North Local Government Area of Kaduna State. Teacher, parents and students were involved in the study.
The following are the secondary schools to be used for the study:
i. Rimi College, Kaduna
ii. Government Secondary School Kawo
iii. Government Secondary School Abakpa
iv. Government Girls Secondary School Independence Way Kaduna
v. Government Secondary School, Doka.
Aminu, J. (2012) Juvenile delinquency causes control (1st Ed), California, Roxbury publisher.
Fafunwa, B, (2009) Factors militating against effective teaching of introductory Technology in secondary school in Kaduna State. Unpublished. P.G.D.T.E, Kaduna Polytechnic Kaduna.
National Policy of Education (1981) Causes of conduct disorder and juvenile delinquency. London Guildford press.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR EDUCATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. SCHOOL VARIABLES AND STUDENTS’ ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE IN ECONOMICS IN ESSIEN UDIM LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA» ABSTRACT This study examined the influence of school variables on academic performance of students in Economics in Essien Udim Local Government Area o...Continue Reading »
2. PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS OF SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS TOWARDS PRE-MARITAL SEX, IMPLICATION FOR COUNSELLING» TABLE OF CONTENTS Title Page Title Page i Certification ii Declaration iii Dedication iv Acknowledgement v Table of Content vi List of Tables ix Abstr...Continue Reading »
3. ASSESSMENT OF STRATEGIES TO ENHANCE TEACHING AND LEARNING OF ECONOMICS IN SENIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL IN AWGU LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA ENUGU STATE» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Background of the study One of the fundamental rights for every human being is education. Education prepares the individual f...Continue Reading »
4. EVALUATION OF TEACHING AND LEARNING OF GUIDANCE AND COUNSELLING IN COLLEGES OF EDUCATION IN CROSS RIVER STATE» BSTRACT Therefore this study was designed to evaluate the teaching and learning of guidance and counseling in Colleges of Education. Four research que...Continue Reading »
» ...Continue Reading »
6. THE INCIDENCE OF DRUG ABUSE AMONG SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS (A CASE STUDY OF SOME SELECTED SSS STUDENTS IN ESAN CENTRAL LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF EDO S...» ABSTRACT This research was aimed at investigating the incidence of drugs abuse among secondary school students in Esan Central LGA of Edo State the fi...Continue Reading »
7. A COMPUTERIZED STUDENT’S RESULT KEEPING SYSTEM (A CASE STUDY OF ESTEEM INTERNATIONAL SECONDARY SCHOOL, ABAK)» ABSTRACT Exams records have been one of the most important documents of any school. It has become highly imperative that exams record keeping system b...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Background to the Study Science and technology have proved significantly useful in man’s daily struggle to control his ...Continue Reading »
9. THE EFFECTS OF MOTHER TONGUE INTERFERENCE IN THE STUDY OF ENGLISH LANGUAGE IN SECONDARY SCHOOLS IN ENUGU NORTH LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF ENUGU STATE» ABSTRACT The topic of the study is the effects of mother tongue in the study of English language in secondary school in Enugu North Local Government A...Continue Reading »
10. AN ASSESSMENT OF THE IMPLEMENTATION OF UNIVERSAL BASIC EDUCATION IN TOTO LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF NASSARAWA STATE» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 Background of the Study 1.1 Introduction It is today universally accepted that Education is the fountain and foundation of all wisdom,...Continue Reading »