Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 45 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Table of Contents
List of Tables
CHAPTER ONE: INTRODUCTION
Background of the Study
Statement of the Problem
Purpose of the Study
Significance of the Study
Scope of the Study
CHAPTER TWO: REVIEW OF RELATED LITERATURE
Health and Safety Policy in Construction of High Rise Building
Installation of Firefighting Equipment in High Rise Building
The Provision of Emergency Exit in High Rise Building
Integration of Natural Ventilation in High Rise Building
Summary of Review of Related Literature
CHAPTER III: METHODOLOGY
Area of the Study
Population of the Study
Sample and Sampling Techniques
Instrument for Data Collection
Validation of the Instrument
Administration of the Instrument
Method of Data Analysis
CHAPTER FOUR: PRESENTATION AND ANALYSIS OF DATA
Research Question 1
Research Question 2
Research Question 3
CHAPTER V: SUMMARY, CONCLUSION AND RECOMMENDATION
Re-statement of the Problem
Summary of the Procedure Used
Discussion of Findings
Implications of the Study
Suggestion for Further Research
The study sought to assess implementation of health and safety policies in construction of high rise building in Kaduna metropolis.. The specific purposes of the study were to examine whether the installation of fire fighting equipment in high rise building in Kaduna metropolis follow the policies, examine whether the provision of emergency exit in high rise building in Kaduna metropolis is in line with the policies and examine whether the provision of ventilation in high rise building in Kaduna metropolis is in line with the policies. Three research questions were design and used to guide this study. The population of the study is 50 since the population was manageable there was no need for sampling. The study adopted descriptive survey research design and the area of study is Kaduna Metropolis. The test retest method was used to establish the reliability of the instrument and the Pearson Product Moment Correlation coeffiecient was used to calculate the reliability coefficient. Mean statistics was employed to analyse the data. The summary of the findings for this study revealed that there is no provision of adequate water for fire fighting high buildings in Kaduna metropolis, the installed automatic fire detection and alarm system are no longer function, there is the absence of Called box in the buildings, Qualified officials are not been appointed for high rise building among others. Based on the findings, recommendations were made which include that government should conduct a time to time inception of high rise building to ensure compliance with the polices, the professional building bodies in conjunction with fire service should organize seminars and workshops to enlighten people on the implications of the non-implementation of the policies, Building project (high rise) should be supervised by professionals ad qualified fire officers, Attention should be directed towards fire prevention in high rise building among others.
Background of the Study
A building can be defined as an enclosure made for person, animals or chalet utilized primarily for living, working and storage. It is a structure or something that is built for human habitation (Houghton, 2011). It can also be defined as something built with a roof and walls such as a house or factory. It can also be referred to as an act of building houses or boats (Harper,2014).
High rise building can be defined as a building being seven storey or more in height (Ontario,2016). It can also be defined as a multiple storey structure between 35 to 100 meters tall or a building of unknown height from 13 to 39 floors.
According to the building code of hydrorabad, India a high rise building is one with four floors or more, or 15 to 18 metres or more in height (Harfar, 2014). World Health Organization (W H O, 1946) defined health as a state of complete physical, mental and social well being and not merely the absence of diseases or infirmity.
Safety is relative freedom from danger, risk, or threat of harm, injury, or loss to personnel and or property, whether caused deliberately. Safety of life and property is of utmost importance in the use of high rise building.
According to Federal Republic of Nigeria a National Fire Safety Code (2013), there are guidelines that serve as policies which if effectively implemented will enhance health and safety of users of high rise building. These include use of fire service equipment, resistive construction in high rise building, the installation of fire alarms system that incorporate voice communications components, back-up emergency exists, cameras, closed circuit television, dry chemical powder extinguishing system, carbon dioxide extinguishing system, and other features that work to increase the safety and health of the occupants of high rise building, and first respondents. Implementation is the process of making something that had officially been decided short to happen or be used. It is also defined as the realization of an application or execution of a plan, ideal, model, design specifications, standard and policy.
The national fire safety code can be adopted directly by the State and Local Government, or domiciled to suit their needs. This code will make no meaning unless the state and local governments actually see to its enforcement within their jurisdictions and also the building and engineering consultant are to advise their clients on the need for compliance right from the design storage. If all the requirements of the code are in place, there may be fewer emergencies to grapple with.
State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) in Kaduna state operates to ensure proper management of disaster in all its ramifications in all 23 Local Government Areas in the state through the collaboration effort of other stake holders towards effective efficient and rapid response. State Emergency Management Agency in Kaduna contributes in prevention of flood disaster and fire outbreak in Kaduna, by enlightening the public through SEMA report. Fire out break has never happened in any of the high rise building in Kaduna, but it has happened in other building, duplexes, bungalows, market and industries. In recent time more high rise building are being constructed in Kaduna and the National Fire Safety Guidelines have to be followed for such buildings.
Statement of the Problem
The building construction industry has become one of the major industries in Nigeria where many high rise building project contracts are handled by the building engineers, architect, and structural engineer. It is globally established that where high rise building are put into multiple occupations certain problems arise which eventually affect the building structure, occupant and the surrounding natural environment either directly or indirectly.
Fire outbreak in Lagos Nigeria Investment Development Bank (NIDB) in Lagos which occurred without functional fire fighting system wreaked the structure causing it to collapse. Also on 19th of January, 2009, fire guttered the Lagos Zonal office of the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) in Marina Lagos and this led to the destruction of office equipment and vital documents, although no casualty was recorded.
These incidents simply showed failure of high rise building to respond to emergencies of this nature. This also indicates lack of compliance to the policies which serve as a guide to the occupant.
Based on these the problem of the study was whether the construction of high rise building in Kaduna metropolis follow the National Health and Safety Policies.
Purpose of the study
This research aimed at assessing the implementation of National Health and Safety Policies in construction of high rise building in Kaduna metropolis. Specifically the sought to:
1. Examine whether the installation of fire fighting equipment in high rise building in Kaduna metropolis follow the policies.
2. Examine whether the provision of emergency exit in high rise building in Kaduna metropolis is in line with the policies.
3. Examine whether the provision of ventilation in high rise building in Kaduna metropolis is in line with the policies.
Significance of the study
The findings of this study if implemented would provide useful information to high rise building owners, occupants of the high rise building and construction industry in Nigeria.
The result of this study would help high rise building owners to know the benefit of adequately implementing the National Health and Safety Policies code that serve as a guide to every occupant living in the high rise building.
The finding of this study would also help the workers in high rise building to establish clear guidelines for the occupants which increase the life span of the building and the occupants.
This would boost the construction industries as the collapse of high rise building that could result from fire outbreak would be minimized. Also it would help the professional bodies concerned in giving adequate checks and balance. The findings of this study would also provide information to the policy makers and the implementing agents on extent of implementation of the policies therefore helping them to know the necessary adjustments for the improvement and proper implementation of the policies.
The following questions were formulated to guide the study.
1. To what extent does the installation of fire equipment in high rise building in Kaduna metropolis follow the policies?
2. To what extent does provision of emergency exit in high rise building in Kaduna metropolis follow the policies?
3. To what extent does provision of ventilation high rise building in Kaduna metropolis follow the policies?
Scope of the study
The study focused on the implementation of National Health and Safety policies in the construction of high rise building in Kaduna metropolis. The study examined the level of implementation of the policies with respect to installation of fire fighting equipments adequacy and functionalities, provision of emergency exits and provision of ventilation in construction of high rise building in Kaduna metropolis.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR EDUCATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. BUILDING COLLAPSE IN SCHOOLS NIGERIA: CAUSES, EFFECTS AND SOLUTIONS(A CASE STUDY OF ILORIN SOUTH LGA KWARA STATE)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY Since independence, the Nigeria government has desperately continued to make concerted effort in ...Continue Reading »
2. THE IMPORTANCE OF SOCIAL WORKERS IN AN HOSPITAL (A CASE STUDY OF PSYCHIATRIC HOSPITAL, USELU, BENIN CITY)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.0 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY There are many notions of what the role of a social worker should be; we identify the more preval...Continue Reading »
3. KNOWLEDGE AND ATTITUDE OF SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS TOWARDS SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED DISEASES IN LAUVN LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA NIGER STATE.» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Background of the Study Sexually transmitted disease (STD) is any disease (such as syphilis, gonorrhea, AIDS, or a genital fo...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the Study Man who is mortally created is subject to many afflictions that can easily bring him down to the ...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This study investigated the influence of drug abuse on the academic performance of students in tertiary institution a case study of FCE Abeok...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 Introduction 1.1 Brief history of SIWES On 8th October, 1971, government highlighted the capacity building of human resources in indus...Continue Reading »
7. A CONTRIBUTION OF YOUTH ORGANIZATIONS IN COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT (A CASE STUDY OF KADUNA SOUTH LGA)» ABSTRACT This study was intended to examine the contribution of youth organizations in community development in Kaduna south LGA. This study was guide...Continue Reading »
8. THE IMPACT OF MANAGEMENT INFORMATION SYSTEM ON THE ADMINISTRATION EFFECTIVENESS OF PRIMARY SCHOOL IN NIGERIA» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study Computers are seen to have the potential to make a significant contribution to the teaching, lear...Continue Reading »
9. THE IMPACT OF INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY ON STUDENTS PERFORMANCE IN PUBLIC SECONDARY SCHOOLS» CHAPTER ONEINTRODUCTION1.1 Background of the studyICT stands for information & communication technologies. ICT refers to technologies that provide...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY Education remains the key to human development. It is seen as the driving force for meaningful de...Continue Reading »