Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 78 pages long and it is in MS Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Questionnaire, Data Analysis,Abstract.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
1.1. BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY
In the field of education & psychology, learning has been discovered all over the world to be a highly complex problem. Several researchers have tried to explain it differently and the description of each is partially true. Over the years, researches on factors that influence academic performance of students have attracted the interest of not only researchers but concern of teachers, counselors, psychologists, and school administrators as well. Study method is the knowledge and application of effective study skills or techniques by students. The term study habit refers to the way in which students’ study either systematically, efficiently or inefficiently. In line with what has been said above, we can deduce that good study habit will definitely yield positive academic performances and achievement and also inefficient or poor study habit leads to academic failure. Students’ attitude and study habit towards any subject has been described as a function of passion coupled with their belief on that particular which has a long way to go on their academic performances.
In Nigeria, many factors have been highlighted to influence the ability of students to cultivate effective and efficient study habit. Such factors include; state of health, motivation, anxiety and state of mind, conducive and suitable environment for studying, availability of textbooks and well equipped libraries. In a research carried out by (Nuthana & Yenagi, 2009) the causes of poor academic performance among Nigeria students were thoroughly examined. In which some of these factors identified include; low student’s intellectual ability, achievement motivation, lack of goals, low self-esteem, low socio-economic status of the family, poverty and poor study habit as a major factor.
A survey was carried out in some selected schools in Nigeria to identify some major causes of low academic performances in students. Some of the problems identified include inadequate teachers, problem of inadequate facilities in the school, problems caused by poor parental background, unfavorable government policies and low educational sector funding (Ajila and Olutola 2007). Likewise, Ichado (1998) also dispute environment from which the student comes from play a major role in influencing study habits which invariably affect academic performance. The concept of study habit is broad as it combines nearly all other sub-topics under it such as study attitude, study method, and study skill. In a research conducted by Allport (1960), it was argued that attitude toward study by drafting a good study pattern can greatly contribute to students’ academic performance. Successful learners all over the world are said to have adopted positive attitude towards study and are time conscious over what they have to do.
According to Hussain (2000) study habit refers to predispositions which students have developed towards private readings through a period of time. According to him, study habit is a gateway to successful achievement in studies.
A research was carried out by Morahan (1999), he found out that male and female have different ways of studying (study habit). In this study, he discovered that the male student took up courses that have more of logic and sciences while female student were attracted to simpler courses and such it is in line with their passion which require different study habit and might have a positive effect on academic performance of students. Positive academic performance and achievement depends upon the student’s ability to schedule his time, the plan of his study, the habit of concentration, note –taking, mental review, over learning, the judicious application of whole and part method massed and distributed learning and so on. In other words, positive academic performance is a function of proper study habits and skills. Since study habits are an important factor in learning, it becomes necessary to investigate into its nature.
1.2. STATEMENT OF PROBLEM
The problems associated with study habits might have a major effect on a student’s academic performances, it is believed that everyone has a different study habit and it is important to find out the best personal way to study. Studying with friends has a long way to go in student’s study habits, it has a positive influence in which they discuss what have been read together but also has a negative effect in which they might not read but discuss throughout the stipulated time for reading which boils down to time wastage.
A very good and conducive environment encourages students study habit and might have positive impact of their academic achievements but students reading in an unfavorable environment might find it difficult to study which might affect their academic achievements. Students with financial constraints might also find it difficult to perform excellently well in their academics
1.3. OBJECTIVES OF STUDY
The following are the objectives of this study:
To examine the correlation between study habit and academic performance
To examine the effect of study environment on study habit
To determine factors affecting students’ study habit and academic performance
1.4. RESEARCH QUESTIONS
What is the correlation between study habit and academic performance?
What is the effect of study environment on study habit?
What are the factors affecting students’ study habit and academic performance?
1.5. RESEARCH HYPOTHESIS
HO: There is no significant relationship between study habit and academic performance
HA: There is significant relationship between study habits and academic performance
HO: There is no significant relationship between study environment and students’ academic performance
HA: There is significant relationship between study environment and students’ academic performance
1.6. SIGNIFICANCE OF STUDY
The following are the significance of this study:
The outcome of this study will help students in understanding the effect on study habit and study environment on their academic performance and helps in serving as a guide for a positive result.
This research will also serve as a resource base to other scholars and researchers interested in carrying out further research in this field subsequently, if applied will go to an extent to provide new explanation to the topic.
1.7. SCOPE/LIMITATIONS OF STUDY
This study on the impact of study habit on academic performance of students will cover various approaches to study and its effect on the academic performance of students.
Financial constraint- Insufficient fund tends to impede the efficiency of the researcher in sourcing for the relevant materials, literature or information and in the process of data collection (internet, questionnaire and interview).
Time constraint- The researcher will simultaneously engage in this study with other academic work. This consequently will cut down on the time devoted for the research work.
1.8. DEFINITION OF TERMS
Study: application of the mind to the acquisition of knowledge, as by reading, investigation or reflection
Habit: an acquired behavior pattern regularly followed until it has become almost involuntary.
Performance: the accomplishment of a given task measured against preset known standards of accuracy, completeness, cost and speed
Students: a person formally engaged in learning, especially one enrolled in a school or college
Ajila& Olutola (2007) Relationship between broken homes and academic achievements of secondary school students in Oredo LGA of Edo state, Nigeria. College student journal publisher, June 2012, 6 (2).
Hussain, A (2000) Effect of Guidance Services on Study Attitudes, Study Habit and Academic Achievement of Secondary School Students.
Ichado S.M (1998) Impact of Broken Home on Academic Performance of Secondary School Student in English Language. Journal of Researches in counselling Psychology.4 (1):- 84 – 87.
Morahan-Martin, J.(1999) Cyber psychology and behaviour. OCTOBER 1999,2(5):431-439. Absract
Nuthana, P.G& Yenagi, G.V.(2009): influence of study habits, self concept on achievement of boys and girls. Karnataka Journal of Agricultural Sciences Vol.22 No.51135-1138
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR EDUCATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. THE CHALLENGES CONFRONTING OPERATORS OF PRIVATE PRIMARY AND SECONDARY SCHOOLS IN SOME SELECTED SCHOOLS IN SAGBAMA LGA OF BAYELSA STATE» ABSTRACT This study was intended to assess the challenges confronting operators of private primary and secondary schools in sagbamaLGA,Bayelsa state. ...Continue Reading »
2. THE EFFECTS OF QUALIFICATION OF ENGLISH TEACHERS ON THE PERFORMANCE OF SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS IN EXTERNAL EXAMINATIONS (A CASE STUDY OF SELECTED SC...» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY The quality of education is directly related to the quality of instruction in the classrooms. It ...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Background of the Study The issue of Chaplaincy Service in our Universities and other educational institutions is so crucial ...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Background of the study Instructional supervision is a constant process that aims at improving teaching by providing needed s...Continue Reading »
5. FACTORS RESPONSIBLE FOR FAILURE OF THE STUDENTS’ IN ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION AND MAINTENANCE WORK EXAMINATION IN SELECTED TECHNICAL COLLEGES, GOMBE S...» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Background of the Study The survival of any nation depends largely upon the premium attached to the education of its citizens...Continue Reading »
6. IMPORTANCE OF TEACHING SEX EDUCATION IN JUNIOR SECONDARY SCHOOLS. A CASE STUDY OF SOME SELECTED SCHOOLS IN IKPOBA OKHA LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF EDO ST...» ABSTRACT This project is aimed at findings out the importance of teaching sex education in junior secondary school in Ikpoba Okha Local Government Are...Continue Reading »
7. FACTORS AFFECTING STUDENTS PERFORMANCE IN TECHNICAL DRAWING IN FEDERAL COLLEGES OF EDUCATION (TECHNICAL) IN THE NORTHWEST ZONE OF NIGERIA» CHAPTER I INTRODUCTION Background of the study There is an increasing concern towards the academic performance of students recent years. One reason fo...Continue Reading »
8. EFFICACY OF FLIPCHART IN THE TEACHING AND LEARNING OF SOCIAL STUDIES IN SOME SELECTED SECONDARY SCHOOLS» Abstract The study examined the effect of flip chart instruction on the academic performance of Junior Secondary School Students who were taught socia...Continue Reading »
9. DESIGN OF A MEANS FOR MANKIND MAKING WATER AVAILABLE IN THE STORAGE TANK FOR FUTURE USES SUCH AS DOMESTIC, INDUSTRIAL, AGRICULTURAL AND ECONOMIC PURPO...» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND Akbar Zahdeh, water has become the most commercial products of the century. The stress on the multiple wat...Continue Reading »
10. A STUDY ON THE INFLUENCE OF SOCIO-ECONOMIC STATUS OF PARENTS ON THE ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE OF SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS: A CASE STUDY OF SELECTED SECOND...» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY The relevance of education in the upbringing of children can not be overemphasized. Since the childre...Continue Reading »