Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Title Page i
Approval page ii
Table of contents vi
CHAPTER ONE: INTRODUCTION
Background of the study 1
Statement of the problem 4
Purpose of the study 4
Significance of the study 5
Research questions 5
Delimitation of the study 6
CHAPTER TWO: REVIEW OF RELATED LITERATURE
Students Related Factors Affecting their Performance in metal work 7
Teachers Related factors Affecting Student
Performance in Metal work 10
Environmental Factors Affecting Student Performance in Metal Work 13
Strategies to be Adopted for Improving Student’s
Performance in Metal Work 16
Summary of Related Literature review 17
CHAPTER THREE: RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
Research Design 20
Area of study 20
Population of the Study 21
Sample and Sampling Techniques 21
Instrument for Data Collection 21
Validation of the Instrument 22
Method of Data Analysis 22
CHAPTER FOUR: PRESENTATION AND ANALYSIS OF DATA
Findings of the Study 28
Discussion of Findings 31
CHAPTER FIVE: SUMMARY, RECOMMENDATION AND CONCLUSION
Restatement of the Problem 36
Summary of Procedure used 37
Major Findings of the Study 38
Implication of the Study 40
Limitations of the Study 41
Suggestions for Further Study 42
The study was conducted to find out factors affecting students performance in metal work. Four research questions were used to guide the study. A survey research design was used for this study. A proportional study stratified sample techniques was adopted for this study. The findings of the study revealed factors such as students interest. The improper practical work, intellectual ability and poor metal work foundations were agreed as students related factors affecting their performance in metal work. Teachers related factors such as inadequate supervision and guidance, teachers attitude to students, absence of demonstration and poor students/ teacher relationship. Factors such as inadequate instructional material, large class size, parents economic status, teachers don’t give adequate materials for practical and textbooks, inadequate workshop and equipment, inadequate time allotted to metal work class, poor location of workshop in metal work. Consequently, the study recommended strategies to be adopted to improve student’s performance in metal work, such as more qualified teacher’s provision of modern workshop. Appropriate and more time to be allotted on the time table for teaching metal work.
Background of the study
There is an increasing concern towards the academic performance of students in recent years. One reason for this has been the general cry-out about the fallen standard of education in Nigeria. Sanusi. (2008). Identified that in adequate equipment and tasks supplied by the federal government are air embodiment of the further position that poor installation and absolute equipment could also affect performance in examination. Fagbemi. (2001) attribute this phenomenon to many reasons among which could be poor policies formulated by the government teachers inadequacies and ineffectiveness unwillingness of the student to learn and poor funding.
Technical colleges in Niger state in particular have been training people to become craftsmen’s and technicians, training qualify them for jobs both in public and private sectors of the economy. Both sectors according to Scrivener (2011) require well trained and competent technicians who can operate and maintain the available technical equipment. According to Nigeria policies on education (N.P.E) (2004). Technical education is that aspect of education which lead to the acquisition of practical skills in wood furniture construction, interior decoration, carpentry and joinery e.t.c., as well as basic scientific knowledge therefore theirs is an urgent need for qualitative technical college for acquiring the desired knowledge (education) and training to produce graduate that can perform competently in their chosen vacation without a need for pre-employment training. The major goals for vocational institution are to prepare student for successful employment in the labour market. Awojobi. (2007). This condition can be comprehensive with relevant training facilities for future development of the key sector of the economy in order to meet the basic needs of electricity roads and machinery among others students practical project in the various trade options which include wood work, electrical installation, welding and fabrication among others are an important part of the curriculum in technical college, but a supportive school environment is a fundamental requirement for the successful implemented where facilities in the workshop are adequate. Availability of appropriate facilities enhance student learning by allowing them to build and develop skills according to Agaokogbuo (2003). There are certain things the trainer or teachers must do as well the entire students which may involve careful planning of his activities for effective learning. Fullon and pomfret (2000) posited that the quality of an education is properly defined by the performance of its student and graduate. This in practical is measured by input and output. Therefore, achieving intended learning outcomes can sometimes be blamed on both teachers and students. This can be substantiated (Wilson, 2004, 2006), who opined that effective teaching and learning of metal work generally depend on the attitude exhibited by both teachers and student taught mean while records available indicates students poor performance on metal work as approved by the management of government technical college Eyagi Bida and government technical college Minna records showed that there is 62.50% of poor performance in metal work and 37.505 of good performance rate on 2011/2012 academic session, in 20112/2013 academic session there is 60.75% of poor performance rate on technical engineering drawing and 39.25% of quality performance rate moreover there is higher rate of poor performance in metal work in 2013/2014 academic session in government technical college Eyagi Bida where there is about 60% of poor performance and 40% of good performance rate in the same vein records available in the government technical college Minna indicates poor performance metal work where it shows that there is 83.43% of poor performance rate and 16.67% of quality performance rate and 28% of good performance rate in 2014/2015 the above have prompted the researchers to justify the mass failure of technical student performance in both private and public schools particularly in the Niger state.
Statement of the problem
Student performance in metal work is poor Olarundare (2007) blamed it on ineffectiveness of the teacher inadequate drawing equipment and facilities as the major factors affecting students performance in the subject. Fagbemi (2001) blamed poor performance on poor funding and lack of student interest. However information has not been elicited on environmental factors on students performance and strategies to be adopted to improve student performance in metal work. These factors left untouched will remain a problem in achieving quality performance in metal work. Therefore the issues which arises for this study is “what are the factors affecting the performance of metal work students in technical vocational college in Niger state?
Purpose of the study
The purpose of the study was to ascertain the factors affecting students performance in metal work, specifically the study seeks to
1. Identify the student related factors that affects their performance in metal work
2. Find out teachers related factors affecting student performance in metal work
3. Identify the environmental related factors affecting student performance in metal work.
4. Find out strategies to be adopted for improving student performance in metal work.
Significance of the study
The finding of the study will benefit the society as it exposes those factors affecting student performance in metal work. These factors are students, teachers, environment and infrastructure related factors affecting student performance.
The school will also benefit from the finding of the study as it reveals areas of strength and weakness as related to teachers, student and infrastructure and the need to address those factors such as infrastructural and teacher related factors and need to address the problem positively.
The teachers of metal work will find the result of this study useful as it reveals their strength and weakness in the teaching learning situation which may help them to improve the teaching method.
The student of technical college will also benefit from the findings of this study. As it reveals is their areas of weakness in learning metal work.
This study was guided by the following research questions based on the problems and purpose of study.
1. What are the students related factors affecting their performance in metal work?
2. What are the teachers related factors affecting students performance in metal work?
3. What are the environmental related factors affecting student performance in metal work?
4. What are the strategies to be adopted to improve student performance in metal work?
Delimitation of the study
This study was aimed at pointing out the main factors affecting the performance of students in metal work in Niger State technical colleges specifically the study is limited to two technical colleagues which include Government Technical college Eyagi Bida (zone A) and government technical college Minna (zone B)
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR EDUCATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. IMPACT OF MOTIVATION ON ORGANIZATIONAL PRODUCTIVITY. CASE STUDY OF NIGERIA BOTTLING COMPANY (COCA-COLA)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY Although, there is general agreement among psychologists that man experiences a variety of needs,...Continue Reading »
2. THE ATTITUDES OF PEOPLE OF NASSARAWA STATE TOWARDS ENVIRONMENTAL SANITATION: A CASE STUDY OF LAFIA LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA.» ABSTRACT The physical environment is very important to the survival of the entire universe, and Nigeria as a nation has been battling to reduce the ri...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study In Nigerian, there are many system of education that will be beneficial to citizens and the socie...Continue Reading »
4. IN SERVICE NEEDS OF AGRICULTURAL SCIENCE TEACHERS IN SECONDARY SCHOOLS IN ENUGU STATE (A Survey Study Of Animal Science Teachers In Enugu North Local ...» Table Of Contents Title Page Approval Page Certification Dedication Acknowledgement Abstract Table Of Content List Of Tables Chapter One 1.1 Introduct...Continue Reading »
» TABLE OF CONTENTS Title page i Declaration ii Approval page iii Dedication iv Acknowledgement v Table of contents vi Abstract ix CHAPTER I: INTRODUCTI...Continue Reading »
6. THE EFFECT OF BIOLOGY PRACTICAL ACTIVITIES ON ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT OF SENIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS» CHAPTER ONE BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY INTRODUCTIION The words “science” is often misconstrued by many people. While some view it as a white ...Continue Reading »
7. INFLUENCE OF SCHOOL ENVIRONMENT ON THE ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE OF SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS IN ETSAKO EAST LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF EDO STATE» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Background to the Study The school environment which include the classrooms, libraries, technical workshops, laboratories, te...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 BACKGROUND OF STUDY The hope that parents hold for their children’s success in life is often first vetted through their children’s...Continue Reading »
9. THE INFLUENCE OF UNTRAINED TEACHERS ON THE ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE OF STUDENTS IN SOME SELECTED SECONDARY SCHOOL IN OREDO LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF EDO ST...» ABSTRACT The purpose of the research work is to find out the influence of untrained teachers on the academic performance of students in some selected ...Continue Reading »
10. THE INFLUENCE OF LATENESS AMONG TEACHERS AND THE ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE OF STUDENTS’ IN SENIOR SECONDARY SCHOOLS (A CASE STUDY OF SELECTED SENIOR SEC...» ABSTRACT The purpose of this study was to find out the causes and influence of lateness among teachers and the academic performance of student in seni...Continue Reading »