Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 72 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY
The activities of entrepreneurial education in the empowerment of youths in Nigeria have increased overtime. Gone are those days during the era of oil-boom back in the 1970s when a graduate gets easily absorbed into any available job vacancies. But all these changed in the mid-1980s, with worldwide depression and significant depression in the Nigeria’s economy. This resulted in unemployment around the world, most especially developing countries such as Nigeria.
The outcome of the high rate of unemployment was social vices like armed robbery and kidnapping for ransom. More recent is the global economic meltdown that led to youth and graduate unemployment to hit the roof. In this regards, various governmental and non-governmental organizations have initiated policies through support agencies such as National Directorate for Employment (NDE), the National Poverty Eradication Programme (NAPEP), Small Medium Enterprises Development Agency (SMEDAN), National Office for Technology Acquisition and Promotion (NOTAP), Raw Materials and Development Council (RMRDC) among others to address the problems of unemployment among Nigerian citizens (Olayinka 2010, Emmanuel 2012, Akluemonkhan, Raimi and Sofoluwe 2013).
The aim of these programmes, agencies and councils was with the belief that the development of self-employment and small enterprise initiatives would unlock the economic potentials of the people increase the capacity to empower and equip individuals in society to participate and benefit from their national economy as well as facilitates economic development which forms the bases for transformation (Ekpo and Edet 2011 in Babatunde and Babatunde 2014). Admittedly, in line with the National Productively Day of 21st February, 1991 theme of “Productivity for Self-Reliance and Excellence”, the Nigeria government introduced entrepreneurship education in schools as a pathway to stimulate self-sufficiency, self-sustainability and self-support culture in students.
The aim is to ensure graduates take advantage of personal resourcefulness to be self-employed. This is because entrepreneurship concerns the persistent pursuit of opportunities to create wealth through innovative creation of a product or service that meets customers’ needs, using score resources in a way that results in a growth enterprise which satisfies the expectation of stakeholders whose roles sustain the business. Entrepreneurship education provides knowledge, skills attitude and motivation to students for entrepreneurial success in any setting. It equips people with the ability to seek investment opportunities (Azonuche and Umeri, 2012). The study in this regard wishes to examine entrepreneurial education and self reliance among youth in akwa Ibom state.
1.2 STATEMENT OF RESEARCH PROBLEM
What really instigated the study on entrepreneurial education and self reliance among youth in Akwa Ibom state was as a result of high crime rate and unemployment in akwa Ibom state. The rate of unemployment has significantly affected the socio-economic well being of the youth in Nigeria (Okon, 2004). Most research has been done on entrepreneurial education but just very few have been done on entrepreneurial education and self-reliance in Nigeria.
Previous studies have failed to identify the causes of poor self-reliance among youths in Nigeria; the effect is seen mostly among graduates in Nigeria.
1.3 AIMS AND OBJECTIVES OF STUDY
The main aim of the research is to examine entrepreneurial education and self reliance among youths in Akwa Ibom State. Other specific objectives of the study include:
1. to examine the relationship between entrepreneurial education and self-reliance
2. to determine the effect of entrepreneurial education on well being of youths in Akwa Ibom State
3. to determine the contribution of entrepreneurial education to skills acquisition and reduction of unemployment among youths in Akwa Ibom State.
4. to investigate on the factors affecting self-reliance and the actualization of entrepreneurial education in Akwa Ibom State.
5. to proffer solution to the above stated problem
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
The study came up with research questions so as to be able to ascertain the above stated objectives. The research questions for the study are stated below as follows:
1. What is the relationship between entrepreneurial education and self-reliance?
2. What is the effect of entrepreneurial education on well being of youths in Akwa Ibom State?
3. What are the contribution of entrepreneurial education to skills acquisition and reduction of unemployment among youths in Akwa Ibom State?
4. What are the factors affecting self-reliance and the actualization of entrepreneurial education in Akwa Ibom State?
1.5 STATEMENT OF RESEARCH HYPOTHESIS
H0: Entrepreneurial education does not influence self-reliance among youths in Akwa Ibom State
H1: Entrepreneurial education influences self-reliance among youths in Akwa Ibom State
1.6 SIGNIFICANCE OF STUDY
The significance of this study brings to the fore the crucial need for entrepreneurial education and self reliance in Akwa Ibom State and Nigeria as a whole, putting more consideration on the educational system, strategies and its eventual social developmental effect in the society.
The study highlights the problems of the level of education in the country and its equivalence to level of poverty in the society by virtue of lack of employment or knowledge of how to startup businesses; the resultant effect of which is a society that breeds healthy partnership and motivation, impacting on the development in the nation.
However, the contribution of this research work to knowledge identifies what is important to the youths and the economy of Nigeria, which is qualitative entrepreneurial education focused on the needs of the youths especially during this period of unemployment, rather than the resolution of the United Nations to increase budgetary details, increasing the people that go through school. This is not the study on entrepreneurial education and self reliance; however, it contributes to the body of literature on the subject area and brings to light the results in order to ascertain which strategy would eventually work for the youths in akwa Ibom state in truly eradicating unemployment in Akwa Ibom State and Nigeria.
1.7 SCOPE OF STUDY
The study examines the role of entrepreneurial education and self reliance among youths in Akwa Ibom State, its significance in the stimulation of the entrepreneurship skills in future graduates in order to reduce unemployment in Nigeria. The study considered the undergraduates of the current university teaching system (University of Uyo, Akwa Ibom State), from third to the final year, assumably those who gained admission into the university in the last three (3) years. The study considers entrepreneurial skills of undergraduate to be relevant because of its immediate impact on the future of Nigeria.
Share a Comment
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR EDUCATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. EFFECTS OF COOPERATIVE LEARNING STRATEGIES AND LOCUS OF CONTROL ON STUDENTS ACHIEVEMENT IN STATISTICS PROCESS» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study The technological advancement of any nation to a large extent is dependent on a sound scientific ...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 199 hits | Source: EDUCATION
2. EXTENT OF THE USE OF INSTRUCTIONAL MATERIALS IN THE EFFECTIVE TEACHING AND LEARNING OF BUSINESS EDUCATION» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY. Business education is one of the occupational areas that are richly provided by vocational and t...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 236 hits | Source: EDUCATION
3. IMPACT OF NIGERIAN UNION OF TEACHERS ON EDUCATION SYSTEM (A CASE STUDY OF OWERRI MUNINCIPAL COUNCIL)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Nigeria Union of Teachers is a known trade union in Nigeria. It was formed to foster a united front f...Continue Reading »
76 pages | 222 hits | Source: EDUCATION
4. INFLUENCE OF FAMILY BACKGROUND ON THE ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE OF PHYSICS STUDENTS - GBOKO LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF BENUE STATE» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study Education is a basic tool used by society for transmission of its societal values. It has become ...Continue Reading »
71 pages | 230 hits | Source: EDUCATION
5. THE EFFECT OF SOCIO-ECONOMIC STATUS OF PARENTS ON THE ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE OF SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS IN NIGERIA» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Education is the best legacy parents can give to their children. The development of the nation st...Continue Reading »
70 pages | 419 hits | Source: EDUCATION
6. RADIO LISTENING HABITS OF STUDENTS IN THE HIGHER INSTITUTION IN KADUNA STATE IN RELATION TO SPECIFIC PROGRAMME GENRES» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1.0 Background to the study Radio in the society over the years has provided and is still providing a readily available cha...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 173 hits | Source: EDUCATION
7. THE NEED FOR COUNSELLING CENTRES IN JUNIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL IN OREDO LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF EDO STATE â€œPROBLEMS AND PROSPECTâ€» ABSTRACT The purpose of this research work is to find out the problems associated in the lack of guidance and counselling centres in some selected sec...Continue Reading »
45 pages | 443 hits | Source: EDUCATION
8. AN INVESTIGATION INTO THE CAUSES OF POOR PERFORMANCE OF STUDENTS IN CHEMISTRY: A CASE STUDY OF ORHIONMWON LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF EDO STATE» ABSTRACT This work is centred on “poor performance of students in Chemistry in Orhionmwon Local Government Area in Edo State. The primary aim of...Continue Reading »
65 pages | 149 hits | Source: EDUCATION
» ABSTRACT This study aimed at examining the school environmental factors and students’ academic performance in physics in public secondary schools in...Continue Reading »
81 pages | 227 hits | Source: EDUCATION
10. ABORTION AS A CAUSATIVE FACTORS TO THE INCREASE IN MOTALITY RATE AMONG ADOLESCENT (AGES 13 â€“ 20) IN OVIA SOUTH WEST LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF ED...» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Background of Study Abortion is a relatively used term. It is the word used to describe the act of termination or destruction...Continue Reading »
68 pages | 667 hits | Source: EDUCATION