Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 45 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
This study investigates the effects of strike action on academic performance of students in some selected secondary schools in Ikpoba Okha Local Government Area of Ondo State. In an attempt to carry out this investigation, five schools were randomly selected in Ikpoba Okha Local Government Area. The researcher collected the necessary information with the questionnaire. The results of the questionnaire showed that students were negatively affected by teachers industrial actions and the causes of teachers industrial actions was mainly unfavorable condition of services by the government (their employer). Having established these facts, suggestion and recommend action were made to teachers parent and government for the need to eradicate teacher industrial action in order to uplift academic performance of studies.
1.1 Background of the Study
Strike generally could be defined as the refusal to work by employees of an establishment to protest for certain inadequacies in their conditions of service. Strike is a work stoppage caused by the mass refusal of employees to work. Strike usually takes place in response to employee grievances.
This study is directed basically at studying the effect of teachers industrial action on the academic performance of the students. However teachers play an enviable role in the education and in shaping the lives of youth in every society. The development of any nation, economically, social, politically, mental and financial needs to make for their growth and development.
There are basically three different categories of teachers. The first category are the elementary teachers, who teach the kids what applies in day to day activities, and norms for their future life. The second category is considered of the secondary school tutors, who take the kids on a more advanced stage, preparatory to their tertiary education. The third category of teachers are those of the university. Polytechnics, and college of Education lecturers. These sets are the rock, on which the nation is bult, and the development of any nation depends largely on them.
The art of teaching learning process may be compared to a manufacturing process. The curriculum and the child are mixed up in the educo-manufacturing process to produce an educated person.
The teacher can be likened to the principal factory operator in the schools manufacturing industry. As such, the success and progress of the school product depends on both the qualities and the readiness of the teachers to perform their expected roles.
The incessant industrial action of almost all sectors of country and the demand for more wages by the workers have pointed to the reason for economic backwardness of the nation as well as the economic hardship the nation has been faced with.
The educational sector is not left out in the incessant industrial action. Several factors have been was to be responsible for the trend.
These factors are listed below:
1. There is no monetary incentive from the government
2. Inability of the government to satisfy their financial wants
3. Irregular payment of teachers salaries
4. The negative of teacher on the part of government.
Student have revealed that teachers do not earn enough salary to keep them dedicated to their jobs, this in turn may equally affect the commitment of teachers to their duties, hence the nationale behind their incessant industrial action
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
Strike action on academic performance of students poses serious problems both on teachers and government and those problems sought to be solved by the end of this research study and they include, the causes of strike action, how workers performance and productivity could be increased, ways in which strike actions could be eradicated and dose strike action demoralize workers or motivate them.
However, the question that is presently on everybody’s mind is the state of the standard of education in the country. While some people behave in the fall of the standard of education, other thinks it has maintained its standard. If the standard of education is actually falling, what are the factors responsible for such fall in its standard?
As such, the main objective o this study is to examine and appraise the assertion and to find out whether or not teacher’s industrial action is contributing to the effects on students’ performances in their academic pursuits
1.3 PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
i. To examine the relationship between NUT strike action and level of academic performance.
ii. To examine the effect of strike action on students academic performance.
iii. To find out the role government play in ensuring non-insistent strike action.
iv. To determine whether the society at large contribute to the smooth flow of academic session.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
i. Is there a relationship between NUT strike action and level of academic performance?
ii. Are there any effect of strike action on student’s academic performance?
iii. Does government play any role in ensuring non-insistent strike action?
iv. Can the society at large contribute to the smooth flow of academic session?
1.5 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The importance of this study is to bring to the knowledge of the public; the effects of NUT strike actions on our educational system. The impact of strike on our secondary schools and the academic performance of the students by the academic staffs and the secondary schools in enhancing socio-economic and political development of the nation.
1.7 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
Strike action by NUT is not peculiar to some selected secondary schools in Ikpoba Okha L.G.A. alone but to all secondary school in Nigeria. This study intends to carry out a comparative analysis of 6 years performance chart of the final year students (SSS III) of some selected secondary school in Ikpoba Okha L.G.A. as collected by the examination and this study intends to carry out a comparative analysis of six (6) years performance chart of the final year students SSS III of some selected secondary school in Ikpoba Okha L.G.A. as collected by the examination and this study intends to carry out a comparative analysis of three years performance chart of the SS I and SS II students in Edo College and Niger college Secondary Schools in Ikpoba Okha Local Government Area as collected by the examination and class teacher records.
1.8 DEFINITION OF TERMS
In the research, some terms, which are used connotatively, are defined and classified to enable use understand the context they are used.
L.G.A.: Local Government Area
Instructional Aids (materials): These are teaching materials which teachers use in order to assist in his teaching.
Teaching: A process which bring about a relative change in behaviour over time in academic situation
Method: this is the procedure in which a goal can be achieved in teaching
Student: A person who is studying at a school or college
Teachers: A person who teaches (profession)
Strike: A time or period when work is not done because of disagreement over pay or working conditions
Academics: Teaching and studying in a college or schools subjects taught to provide skills for the mind rather than for the hand.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR EDUCATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. THE IMPLICATION OF USING INFORMATION COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY (ICT) IN THE TEACHING AND LEARNING OF INTEGRATED SCIENCE IN COLLEGE OF EDUCATION EKIADOL...» ABSTRACT This research was focused on the implication of using information communication technology (ICT) in the teaching and learning of integrated s...Continue Reading »
2. COMPETENCY IMPROVEMENT NEEDS OF TECHNOLOGY TEACHERS TO ENHANCE THE IMPROVEMENT NEEDS OF TECHNOLOGY TEACHERS TO ENHANCE THE IMPLEMENTATION OF BASIC TEC...» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1Background of the Study A good educational system is a strong base for technology development it equips people with knowle...Continue Reading »
3. APPLICATION OF EARLY MARRIAGE ON WOMEN EDUCATIONAL DEVELOPMENT IN ABAKALIKI LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF BONYI STATE» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Background to the Study In the world all over, marriage is an institution which calls for a moment of celebration and a miles...Continue Reading »
4. EFFECT OF INSOURCING OR OUTSOURCING DECISION ON THE PRODUCTIVITY OF NORTHERN CABLES PROCESSING COMPANY (NOCACO) KADUNA» CHAPTER I: Introduction 1.1 Background of the Study The Insourcing and/or Outsourcing decision is referred to in purchasing as sourcing policy decisio...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 GENERAL INTRODUCTION This research work would be carried out in one of the four (4) major areas of linguistics (phonology). Phonology ...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Background to the Study The practice of contraception is old as human existence. Ancient writings noted on the Leahun Papyrus...Continue Reading »
» Abstract This study was carried out to investigate the effects of private lesson on academic performance of students in J.S.S classes. The sample for ...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY The Fula people also known as Fulani in Hausa language, are a mass population widely dispersed and cu...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY In its classical definition, and simple definition, education is the transmission or transfer...Continue Reading »
10. AN INVESTIGATION OF THE INFLUENCE OF TEACHERS’ CLASSROOM QUESTIONS ON THE ACHIEVEMENTS OF STUDENTS IN MATHEMATICS; IN SOME SELECTED JUNIOR SECONDARY...» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY One of the major duties of mathematics classroom teacher is to promote thought and inspire inquir...Continue Reading »