Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
This survey research conducted to find out the effect of broken homes on primary school pupils academic achievement in Jere Local Government Area. Two objectives and three research questions where formulated to guide the study. The population of the study consists of all the senior pupils in four selected school in Jere Local Area. Through the process of simple random sampling a total number of 100 pupils were selected to participate in the study. The major instrument used for collecting data was a questionnaire. The data collected were analyzed through the use of simple percentages. It was discovered based on the analysis that most of the respondents are not staying –with their parent. They performed below expectation due to lack of security, care and discipline. Their school fees are not being paid in time. On the basis of such findings, recommendation were made that, Borno Government should create academic and counsel unit in Primary School with adequate funds where students from broken homes would be given proper guidance and counseling concerning their psychological and social problem towards.
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Broken home occurs as a result of separation of marriage either by death or divorce. Broken home, contributed a lot to anti-social behaviour society.
ISAKE (1963), stated that most of them were very unsuccessful because of separation of house, he said broken house can be as a result of divorce of separation by death of the couple.
The problem of broken homes are universal phenomenal which affect both developed as well as the under develop country. Yet the courses and effect still persist with varying degree in the various part of the world.
In an ideal atmosphere, Children should happily be with there parents, children appreciated the love of their parent towards them, one of the tasks that should be fulfilled by parents, is to educate their children because the education of children does not start from school. This is because live schooling of students started from home. A home is the walls of the house but the people who live on it make a home. A house only become a home, when if complete. A home also became a house when is not broken.
Hemm (1970), broken home means a heroic in which the parents are separated or divorced or are no more by either as a result of death. Children from such home lack proper care and security. The suffering of such children could be seen in differed dimension.
In most cases, adequate parental and affection may not be given to the children properly by the adopted parents that is the guardian. Unfortunately for the children who find themselves in such a manners can been neglected by the fear groups and society instead of being love and care for however, the present day in Nigeria.
The rate of broken homes are increasing unprecedented, consequently and it is necessary for the psychologist and teacher to find out the relationship between houses and academic achievement of the concern children.
Parent (1970); homes are a dwelling place we want on to say that it is also a place of natural shelter from rain, sun and cold which is the season. The other point he stressed on was security and care while we concluded by the fact that it provide a place for happy family life with room and equipment for preparing and eating means for recreation.
When a student imagines his home a “Vacuum Can” Which exposes him or her to same problems in the environment.
In some societies in Nigeria and other Parents of African such children are regarded as neglected.
ISAKE and others (1984), mother are considered as the backbones or major providers of programme of services to individual child.
Based on the needs and understanding of his environment. They said children from broken home feel very sad when they lack the carrying, affection, security and concern for lovely home.
Those children are supposed to enjoy. Such children tend to develop a kind of inferiority complex, and aggression, hostility, reserved and isolated among their pear groups. They said when children are not secured and not enjoying the love and parental up bringing, it will affect the cognitive loved of the children, thereby affecting their academic achievement.
However, as the home became as insecurity, place, the children are respond by developing tension, prostration and aggression and anger and hatred toward on or both parents because of their behaviour, that lead to separation and also broken homes could causes the children to feel isolation and humpies.
Yusuf (1981), reveal that 60 – 70% of backward students of primary Schools in Jere Government Area, are those children from broken homes, some of them are rerunning errant, while some of them do not have adequate school material that will help them study.
Hence, there are frustrated and psychologically disturbed, when they are in classroom as a result they cannot do well in the school activities.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
The statement of the problem is therefore stated thus, to what limit do broken homes causes by separation divorce or death of parents affect children or student academic achievement. The children social life could also be affected because they became a problem to their society juvenile delinquency, introvert, behavioural disorder etc. that is a sociological deficiency.
The study investigated the extend lack of parental are affection an security plus discipline affects student academic achievement of students in Jere Local Government Area.
1.3 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The objectives of the study are:-
1. To determine the number of pupils of students from broken home in the selected primary school in Jere Local Government Area.
2. To determine whether actually broken homes have any effect on children, students or pupils academic achievement.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
A. Does lack of parental care, affection and love affect students academic achievement in school?.
B. Does lack of Parental security affect pupils or students?
C. Does lack of parental discipline of affect student academic achievement?
1.5 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
Many people do not see broken homes as a social problem, which some how affect children born into such homes. To this end this study aims to some extent see how this affect a child in his academic achievement through the study will only be restricted to Primary to Primary School e.g Mafoni Galtimari Primary School in Jere Local Government Area.
The findings may likely be applicable to other part of the state and also the country at large. Thus, with the introduction new national policy of education (U.B.E).
The investigation will be an effective tool in the hands of guidance and counseling personnel’s and also psychologist.
It would also be relevant to teachers in order to help their students despite the problem in the study will also attempt to some extent suggested some hopeful advice and counseling to people who may like to apply them to their marital life situation.
1.6 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The study covers Jere Local Government Area as a case study on the effect of broken homes on student academic achievement.
The study is limited to some selected Primary School in Jere Local Government Area examples of selected primary Schools are:-
1. Old Maiduguri Primary School
2. Goni Kachallari Primary School.
3. Muna Koreri Primary School.
4. Shehu Sanda Kyarimi Primary School.
5. Gambori III Primary School.
1.7 OPERATIONAL DEFINATION OF TERMS
BROKEN HOMES: Broken homes in this with parental being
separated as a result of death divorce and willful but temporally staying apart.
ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT: Here it refers to how well or how
poorly a child can perform in the school.
HOME: This is place where people live together as a family.
DIVORCE: This is an illegal dissolution of marriage.
JUVINAL DELIQUENCY: This is a wrong doing by Young
BEHAVIOURAL CLASS ORDER: This is a situation where an
individual abnormal character such as stealing, fishing, aggressiveness toward other hostile etc
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR EDUCATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. THE ROLE OF REWARD AND PUNISHMENT ON STUDENT’S ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE IN SOME SELECTED SECONDARY SCHOOLS IN OREDO LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF EDO STATE.» ABSTRACT This project work is the role of reward and punishment on student’s academic performance in some selected secondary schools in Oredo lo...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study Reality based shows are gradually taking over global television programming. People who have been...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study Single parenting or single parenthood is a parent bringing up a child or children alone without a...Continue Reading »
4. THE PROBLEMS AND PROSPECTS OF TEACHING CHRISTIAN RELIGIOUS STUDIES IN SECONDARY SCHOOLS (A CASE STUDY OF ENUGU SOUTH L.G.A)» ABSTRACT This study was carried out to investigate the problems and prospects of teaching of Christian Religious Studies in secondary schools with a p...Continue Reading »
5. STRATEGIES FOR IMPROVING LOW ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE IN ENGLISH LANGUAGE IN SECONDARY SCHOOLS IN KADUNA STATE» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study The modern trend in education and the complex nature of learning and instruction have made the ro...Continue Reading »
6. THE VARIOUS STRATEGIES FOR IMPROVING THE UTILIZATION OF WORKSHOP TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT FOR TEACHING BASIC TECHNOLOGY IN TECHNICAL COLLEGE KATSINA STATE» ...Continue Reading »
7. THE EFFECT OF PIDGIN ENGLISH ON THE ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE OT TERTIARY STUDENTS IN NIGERIA (A CASE STUDY OF ADEYEMI COLLEGE OF EDUCATION, ONDO)» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY The advent of the colonial master in African presumably marked the beginning of the use of the En...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.0 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY In Nigeria today, Education is the key and easiest way to freedom, a better life and poverty redu...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION One of the greatest threats to Education, social, economic, and political development of any nation is corruption. Therefore,...Continue Reading »
10. THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN JOB SATISFACTION AND PERFORMANCE AMONG SEC SCHOOL TEACHERS IN ISOKO NORTH LOCAL GOVT AREA OF DELTA STATE» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study Job satisfaction describes the feelings attitudes or preference of individuals regarding work. It...Continue Reading »