Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
Background of the Study
Education is the best legacy a nation can give to her citizens. It is generally believed that the basis for any true development must start with the development of human resources. Much then is said that formal education remains the vehicle for social-economic development and social mobilization in any society (Philips, 2012).
Computer education as it is stipulated by the National Policy on Education (2004) in Nigeria is one of pre-vocational subjects in the junior secondary schools. The aim and objectives of the Federal Government in these pre-vocational subjects mostly is that at the end of nine years of passing through, it should posses an appropriate level of literacy, numeracy, communication, manipulative and problems solving skills in order to be employable and useful to oneself and the society at large.
According to Abimbola (2010), the use of computer in our educational sector was a growing phenomenon, because searching for work in internet requires the knowledge of computer. The use of Computer Assisted Instruction (CAI) in education also requires in-depth knowledge of computer.
According to Olaitan (2010) the prominent role of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) in educational system requires the knowledge of computers; since our schools are sweeping along on the incoming tide of new teaching techniques. The old methods used in teaching and learning of computer science are becoming increasingly inadequate. It is now become apparent for the government to provide adequate materials meant to redesign the computer education at all levels.
Abdullahi (2014) says that computer science is one of the science subjects that deals with study of a machine that can receive instructions, recalls these instructions, carry out the instructions and gives a feedback on its actions. In my own view, computer science is a subject that deals with appreciation and application of computers. It is also defined as electronic machine that operate with remarkable speed and reliability.
A well developed scientific and technological base are conditional to any national human and material development. Nigeria has been classified as one of the developing nations and has continued to make a break through by emphasizing much on science and technology thereby making inclusive of computer education in the curriculum of the junior and senior secondary schools (Combs, 2013).
The Federal Government of Nigeria decided to introduce computer education into the nation’s secondary school system in 1987 during the Ministerial Council Meeting of the National Council on Education. This was followed by the inauguration of the National committees on computer education the same year. The functions of the committee among others included, planning for dynamic policy on computer education and literacy in Nigeria as well as devising clear strategies and terminologies to be used by the Federal and State governments in introducing computer Education. The general objectives of the policy are:
1. To bring about a computer literate society in Nigeria.
2. To enable the present school children to appreciate and use the computer in various aspect of life and in future employment.
The above stated strategies can promote or impede the acquisition of computer knowledge. Functionalities of the strategies would promote acquisition while deficiency in implementation would constitute an impediment to the acquisition of computer knowledge (Aminu, 2014).
According to Philips (2013), the polices are poorly implemented due to poor training and orientation of key implements (teachers). Through constant practice, workshop and seminars, the teachers will be equipped in relevant knowledge needed in computer, which are appropriate for effective teaching and learning of computer education. Computer requires practices and only the teachers that know the practices can teach it very well.
The non availability of Hardware facilities in acquisition of computer education is one of the impediments that affect the teaching and learning of computer education mostly in Senior Secondary schools. Okon (2012) reported on the declining standard of teaching which is done without exposing the students to any form of practical experiences. The acquisition of computer education with the hardware facilities is just like going to school without pen and books.
Evoh (2014) emphasized that secondary school education is essential of the creation of effective human capital in any country. The need for the conclusion of computer science in the education curriculum of the Nigerian secondary schools cannot be overemphasized. In this technology-driven age, every one requires ICT competence to survive and this calls for early acquisition of computer skills by students.
Proper teaching and learning with regard to computer education in Nigerian Secondary Schools have been known to have suffered some setbacks. These setbacks have been generated by certain conditions such as inadequate provision of facilities, lack of trained personnel, financial constraints and organizational constraints.
Statement of the Problem
In Kaduna Inspectorate, there are scarcity of computer science teachers. The people of the area sees computer knowledge acquisition as a game of learning computer in a Computer Centre and not in the school systems. Computer knowledge acquisition deals with the knowledge and ability to use computer and related technology efficiently with a range of skills covering levels from elementary use to programming and advanced problem solving (Combs, 2014). There are problems associated with the acquisition of computer education in secondary schools, which are; inadequate provision of facilities, lack of trained personnel, financial constraints and organizational constraints.
The first comparative analysis in educational system, its progress and lack of progress dates back to the middle of 18th century. According to Fafunwa, (2010), shortage of teachers, classrooms, fund and teaching materials are the factors that mostly hinder the progress of education. He went on to say that, education rose at a faster rate and emerged as the largest local industry. He thinks that once government is able to finance education reasonably, there would be remarkable improvement in the Secondary School system. It is on this basis that this research work is conducted to find out the impediments of teaching and learning of Computer science in Senior Secondary Schools in Kaduna Inspectorate.
Purpose of the Study
The main purpose of this study is to:
1. Find out the extent to which inadequate facilities impede the acquisition of
computer education in secondary schools.
2. Find out the extent to which lack of trained personnel impede the acquisition of
computer education in secondary schools.
3. Determine the strategies that could be adopted to curb the impediments of
teaching and learning computer science in Senior Secondary schools.
Significance of the Study
The study is very essential to the extent that it will be beneficial to the following: Students, the teachers and the government
The study will enable the students to understand that computer education is not for play but for real imprecation of understanding, knowledge and social improvements.
The study will enable the teachers to understand that there are impediments in the acquisition of computer education in secondary schools.
It aid the government in devising policy’s that will increase the rate of teaching and learning of Computer science in Junior Secondary Schools..
The study will disclose the impediments in the acquisition of computer education in secondary schools which now make the government to provide solutions to such impediments and improve the acquisition of computer education in secondary schools.
It may serve as vital information for further researchers.
1. To what extent does lack of adequate facilities impede the acquisition of computer Education in secondary schools?
2. To what extent does lack of trained personnel and financial constraints impede
the acquisition of computer education in secondary schools?
3. What strategies could be adopted to curb the impediments of teaching and
learning computer science in Senior Secondary schools?
Scope of the Study
The study focuses on the impediments of teaching and learning of Computer Science in Senior Secondary Schools in Kaduna Inspectorate. It is hoped that the impediments of teaching and learning of computer science would have been known to students in the course of this research work.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR EDUCATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Education is a inevitable instrument that can be used in enhancing national and economic development,...Continue Reading »
2. THE IMPACT OF SCHOOL ENVIRONMENT ON TEACHING AND LEARNING: A CASE STUDY OF NIGER COLLEGE JUNIOR SECONDARY SCHOOLS TWO.» ABSTRACT The impact of school environment on teaching and learning was carried out in Niger College Junior Secondary School II. In this work attention...Continue Reading »
3. THE APPLICATION OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY TO THE LEARNING AND TEACHING OF ECONOMICS IN SECONDARY SCHOOLS WITHIN JOS NORTH» This research work is aimed at identifying the level and usage of Information Communication Technology in teaching economics in secondary schools. The...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the Study Social networking is built on the idea of how people should know and interact with each other thr...Continue Reading »
5. STRATEGIES FOR IMPROVING LOW ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE IN GOVERNMENT IN GOVERNMENT SCHOOLS, (A CASE STUDY OF ONITSHA SOUTH LG ANAMBRA STATE)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study The modern trend in education and the complex nature of learning and instruction have made the ro...Continue Reading »
6. A STUDY OF JOB STRESS AMONG SECONDARY SCHOOL TEACHERS IN TAMBUWAL LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF SOKOTO STATE» ABSTRACT This paper take a look at the study of job stress among secondary school teachers in Tambuwal Local Government Area of Sokoto State. One hund...Continue Reading »
7. THE APPLICATION OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY TO THE LEARNING AND TEACHING OF ECONOMICS IN SECONDARY SCHOOLS» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY In today’s world, the use of adoption of information technology (ICT) in teaching of economics ...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE Introduction In western society, with rare exception, attending school and being influenced by teachers for good or ill is a universal exp...Continue Reading »
9. HUMAN RESOURCES AND STUDENTS’ ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE IN PUBLIC SENIOR SECONDARY SCHOOLS IN EDUCATION» ABSTRACT This study investigated human resources and students’ academic performance in public senior secondary schools in Education District IV of L...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY The effect of marital conflict on the academic performance of students (a case study of Esan Cent...Continue Reading »