Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 96 pages long and it is in MS Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Questionnaire, Data Analysis,Abstract.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
It is an undisputable fact that Nigeria of the pre-independence era was predominately small scale in its productions and marketing activities. Industrial revolution brought about a shift from the orthodox trade by barter to a more sophisticated marketing system where consumers satisfaction becomes the ultimate goal of the most businesses. Thus small scale business becomes the next option since they stood a better chance of offering a more personal relationship with customers as well as socio economic satisfactions of societal needs.
Unfortunately the over concentration on t he oil sector which Nigeria hoped will boost economic growth led to the negligence of the small scale industries until economic depression set in during the oil boom period. This and other factors led to the quest for private participation in the various economic sectors through the Small Scale Industries especially in the present civilian government where the Industrial Development Centres (IDCS ) have embarked upon a loan scheme for small business to enhance their contribution to national economic development. The question now is, will small scale contributes to nation’s economic development? One might wonder if this will be realistic, but it is quite obvious that Nigeria as a country developing very slow due to economic dependency of the country. It therefore becomes apparent that the way out of the problem lies within Nigeria. What are found in Nigeria are basically the large scale operations which have given the most contributions to the economy of the developed nations across the globe. One would therefore questioned the backwardness of small scale business to government negligence of the small industries. Nevertheless the immense contributions of small scale industries in terms of increased industrial output job creation, improvement of standard of livening and general economic development has reawakened government interest and support on these small scale industries.
1.1 HISTORICAL BACKGROUND OF THE CASE STUDY
It is against this background that the next generation computers was established on the 15th February 2000 to boost the computer industry without which Nigeria economy development cannot be fully achieved. The firm which started with capital base of one Hundred Thousand Naira (N100,000) with the owners as the manager and no organizational structure deals with booth computer hardware and software.
The services rendered by the organization include Typing, photocopying, internet services, computer assembling supply and installation of computers maintenance and training of manpower through apprenticeship. The firm has so far been able to meet the needs of business organization’s and individuals within Kaduna North.
Nextgen computers as it is popularly know has over three hundred (300)customers patronizing the business today and they have ten 10 trainees which is the maximum number accepted by the firm in order to ensure they are given adequate and standard training and a lot of students have graduated from the school since inception. Each apprentice pays some amount of money. Those on certificate course pay five thousand Naira (N5,000), while the diploma course worth twelve thousand naira (N12,000.00), the mode of payment can be done instalmentally. The certificate course is under taken for a period of six months while the diploma course takes a period of one year for completion. Finally the firm is still at its growth stage and it trying its best to improve and expand its cervices so as to contribute greatly to Kaduna and subsequently Nigeria as a whole.
1.2 STATEMENT OF GENERAL PROBLEMS
Small and enterprises are everywhere in every sector and are seen in every community. However Nigeria has witness the proliferation of small business aimed at increasing industrial output and subsequent economic growth and development through the efficiency of small scale enterprises.
There are some questions however that should be asked where answers could suggest solutions to the problem under study.
- What is the relationship between small scale industries and standard of living of Nigeria businessmen and entire populace?
- Is there a positive correlation between small scale industries and economic development?
- What is the position of the small scale enterprises under the computer industry? Are there problems associated with operation of both hardware and software?
- How do business owners asses the success or otherwise?
- Does the success of the small scale industries rest only on the activities of small scale enterprises or it also depends on some macro economic variables in the environment?
- Does the success of next generation computer academy guarantee Nigeria’s economic development? Or is there more to that?
These questions among others form the foundation upon which the research is built.
1.3 OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
The purpose of this research is to assess the EFFECT OF SMALL SCALE INDUSTRIES TO NIGERIA’S ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT, other objective include:
i. Assessing the possible problems which could hinder small business success.
ii. Why some small business succeed
iii. Assessing the size and composition of small business, their marketing, financial, legal and management aspect government intervention an other environmental factor which are likely to affect the small scale industries. Suggested solutions would be made necessary after drawing conclusions from the above.
1.4 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The research is beneficial to policy makers, Next Generation Computer Academy and the general public in view of the following revelations.
- To policy makers the research will acquainttem with the joy and frustration.
- To Next Generation Computer Academy it will expose the strength and or weaknesses of their operations.
- To general public the research will serve as an asset to students especially those who intend to be come self employed, lecturers and other researches particularly in marketing accountancy and business studies.
1.5 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The study is restricted to small scale business in the computer industry in Kaduna North and covers the operations of next generations computer academy from year 2005 till date.
1.6 LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
Given the economic hardship in the country and prevailing cost of living it was not easy to meet up with the financial requirements of the study. Time indeed was another major consideration with too many things to met up within a short space of time preparation for test and examination.
In administering the questionnaires, the respondents were quite cooperative but some of the respondents have to fill under close supervision to avoid irrelevant answers especially where the questions were open ended. Another limitation that applied to this study is the fact that the study focuses on Next Generation computer alone and the sample for the study restricted to Kaduna North Local Government area only.
It is however hoped that these characteristics of customers be further confirmed in other areas within the country to enable a comprehensive review of some of the recommendations.
Ho: The small scale industries do not contribute significantly to Nigeria’s economic development
Hi: The small scale industries do contribute significantly to Nigeria’s economic development
1.8 DEFINITION OF TERMINOLOGIES (CONCEPTS)
SME = Small and Medium Scale Enterprises
INDUSTRY = collection of undertaken’s generally not under one control but connected with the same economic activity or similar ones.
SSI = Small Scale Industry
PAP = poverty Alleviation programmes
EDP = Entrepreneur Development programme
NDE = National Directorate of Employment
CNP = Cross National Product
Apprentices = Those who are on the job training.
EEC = Europe Economic Community
NIDB = Nigeria Industrial Development Bank
ICON =Investment Corporation of Nigeria
UNIDO = United Nations Industries Development Organization
IDC = Industrial Development Centre
NACRDB = Nigeria Agricultural Cooperative and Rural Development Bank
NBCI = Nigeria Bank for Commerce and Industry
NERFUND = National Economic Reconstruction Fund
SSICS = Small Scale Industries Credit scheme
FMB= Federal Mortgage Bank
LGA = Local Government Areas
FIRM = Refers to individuals factories, shops, mines etc or a number of them grouped together.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR ECONOMICS FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study The oil palm belong to the palmae family and sub family oooideae which also include coconut the g...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Nigeria as a nation has the vision of becoming one among the world’s 20 largest economies i...Continue Reading »
3. EMPIRICAL INVESTIGATION OF THE IMPACT OF GOVERNMENT EDUCATION SPENDING ON ECONOMIC GROWTH (1981-2012)» ABSTRACT The aim of the study is to critically investigate the impact of government education expenditure on economic growth in Nigeria. The Real Gros...Continue Reading »
4. AN ASSESSMENT OF THE ROLE OF UNION BANK OF NIGERIA PLC IN FINANCING SMALL AND MEDIUM SCALE ENTERPRISES IN NIGERIA» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY The Small and Medium Scale Enterprises play a critical role in economic development. Small and Me...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE: INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the Study The use of national policy decisions such as financial liberalization policy to improve the fina...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT The term savings refers to the part of income immediately spent or consumed but reserved for futureconsumption, investment or unforeseen cont...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT Although several theories of growth point towards a positive effect of human capital on growth, empirical evidence on this issue has been mix...Continue Reading »
8. evaluation of entrepreneurial development in curbing unemployment in the economy. A case study of Chikun Local Government Area of Kaduna State» Abstract The objective of this study is to find out an . To guide this study, research questions will be drawn in accordance to the main objective of ...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT Food items are an essential commodity for a healthy nation, the supply of food to any nation must be done without any form of compromise as a...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study The Electricity is pivotal to the economic development of nations. Its use is directly correlated...Continue Reading »