Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 87 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
1.1 Tax is a financial issue and its payment is a civil duty. It is the imposition of a financial burden for the government on individual firm and companies. In general based, the word tax means any contribution imposed by the government upon individual and companies for the use of government to provide facilities or services as rendered by the state. It is not a voluntary payment or donation but an enforced contribution made on the pronouncement or directive of legislative authorities.
Osita (2004:1) stated, taxation may be define as the compulsory leave by the government through it’s various agencies in the income, capital or consumption of it’s subject such as salaries, business profits, interest, dividends, commission regularities, rent etc.
It could be said that there are three main methods of financial economic expedition open to meet developing countries there are:-
(c) TAX AND OTHER CURRENT RECEIPT
Of these sources, tax is perhaps the most important since the level of government expenditure is to a great extent dependent on the ability of the tax system to generate the required revenue at the disposal of the government.
In spite of this benefit from tax most people still indulge in tax evasion and avoidance. Attempt to avoid some portion of liability or not to pay tax will affect the revenue of the government that is the reason why the government frown at the issue of tax evasion and avoidance, and uses it’s authorities to enforce compliance.
ARONOMOLE and OLUWALAYODE (2006:39). Define tax avoidance as legal ways by which a tax payer reduces in tax liabilities.
Tax evasion is a deliberate on the part of the tax payers to reduce their tax liabilities through illegal means or an attempt not to pay tax due.
The distinction between this tax avoidance and tax evasion is that tax avoidance is not considered a criminal offence where as tax evasion is a criminal offence.
According to ANYAELE (1990:225) a tax may be defined as a compulsory contribution imposed by a government authority on goods, individual and co-operate bodies irrespective of the exact amount of services rendered to the tax payer in return and not imposed as a penalty for our legal offence. Both direct and indirect taxes that are collected for the government inform of income tax, exercise duty, import and export duties. Purchase and sales taxes and so on help the government to generate a lot of revenue for the smooth administration in the nation.
There are two elements in every form of taxation and that is the BASE AND RATE. The tax base is the object which is taxed or a measure of the private sector income or wealth that can be taxed, while the tax rate is the percentage of the measured amount taken off from the tax base. In this case the money realized from it is used to provide social goods and services, so that everybody both the rich and poor will have equal chances of making use of them, that is the goods and services. They include pipe borne water, electricity, good roads, hospital, schools etc. most people in Nigeria has the habit of evading or avoiding tax payment i.e. they always avoiding paying their taxes. With this state of
affairs the various tier of government in the country don’t usually generate enough revenue which will enable them to effectively execute all the development projects which are highlighted in their budgets.
It has to be pointed out that the successive Nigeria governments have not made adequate and sincere efforts toward informing the tax dodger or evader on the need for them to pay the taxes. All attentions have been directed on the revenue from oil sector while taxes and agriculture, which supposed to be generating a lot of revenue to the country, are deliberately over looked.
Also the researcher wants to look into the problems of paying tax by the public, such problem are as follows
a) Tax evasion and tax avoidance by the public
b) Poor system of tax collection
c) Inability of the government to prosecute tax avoidance.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
It has been noted that tax system in Nigeria has come to play a significant role, as a major source of revenue to the federal government by way of imposing tax on tax payers and it is for them to pay up the tax.
The act of evading and avoiding tax by most registered companies and some individuals has however affected the revenue base of the government especially in providing essential services in the society. People naturally prefer to reduce their tax liabilities by deliberately overstating their expenses and make false entries and fictions in their books of account. Thus, their act however, causes tremendous reduction in the revenue accruable to the government which eventually shrinks revenue to the treasure of government.
The inability of the revenue board to collect substantial amount of money from tax is as a result of evasion and avoidance of tax. This research work examines the problems facing the revenue department in collecting taxes and levies under their jurisdiction with a view to indentifying possibilities at minimizing or even eradicating tax evasion and avoidance.
1.3 OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
The objectives of this study are as follow
1. To analyze the various causes of tax evasion and avoidance
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR ECONOMICS FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» CHAPTER ONE1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDYSince Nigeria got her independence in 1960, it has created policies which are geared towards promoting the Niger...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of Study In every business organization, the performance of the employees is important in achieving organizati...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This research work investigates the impact of minimum wage fluctuation on growth of Nigeria economy. Determinants of labour market in Nigeria...Continue Reading »
4. FUNCTIONS AND ACHIEVEMENTS OF GOVERNMENT SUPPORT AGENCIES IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF ENTERPRENUERSHIP IN ENUGU STATE.» ABSTRACT Government have set up agencies that are specifically charged with training the people, providing funds and other services for the promotion ...Continue Reading »
5. CAUSES OF THE INEFFECTIVENESS OF THE COOPERATIVE SECTOR IN DEVELOPING THE ECONOMY (CASE STUDY OF KRPC MULTI PURPOSE COOPERATIVE SOCIETY KADUNA)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study There are many definitions of cooperatives but for the purpose of this research work. We define C...Continue Reading »
6. THE IMPACT OF GOVERNMENT EXPENDITURE ON STANDARD OF LIVING OF THE PEOPLE OF NIGERIA (1982 – 2012)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Over the years, government expenditure also known as government spending has been identified as a...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACTThe research study is directed towards a monetary policy and banking performance in Nigeria. The research investigates the effectiveness of mo...Continue Reading »
8. MONEY SUPPLY AND INFLATION DYNAMICS: A CRITICAL APPRAISAL OF MILTON FRIEDMAN’S HYPOTHESIS IN NIGERIA» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background Information The debate regarding the role of money supply in an economy particularly in the determination of i...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION BACKGROUND OF STUDY The quest to achieve self sufficient food production is one of the highest priorities of most countries i...Continue Reading »
10. MACROECONOMIC CONDITIONS AND CORPORATE SURVIVAL IN NIGERIA; AN APPRAISAL OF FACTS AND ISSUES IN THE 21ST CENTURY» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY Every company operates within the internal and external environments of business. The internal enviro...Continue Reading »