The Complete Project Research Material is averagely 63 pages long and is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters. Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References Level : BTech/BSc/BA/HND/ND.
Get the complete project »
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
According to historical accounts (Leadership Newspaper), Asata, Coal camp, New market, Ogui urban including Obiagu areas of the city belongs to Ogui Nike people. But during the colonial era, the white men started developing parts of the land owned by the Ogui Nike people. That explains why Obiagu is presently inhabited by people from almost the five south east states namely; Abia, Anambra, Ebonyi, Imo and even the present day Enugu state.
Also a portion of Obiagu was then inhabited by the Hausa community, who came to the city as either cattle dealers or artisans. But following the events leading to the outbreak of the Nigeria Biafra war in 1967, a good number of Hausa men living in the area left for their different states in the north and never returned to the area, then the community was taken over by Nigerians from other ethnic groups, particularly Igbo, yet it still answer “Ama Hausa” [house of Hausa community], but has refused to shed its toga of a ghetto. When police or other security agencies are looking for suspected criminals, they usually gear their search light on obiagu, because of the belief that it is a criminal infested area (Ubani, 2012).
Most housing decay and deterioration comes in various forms and their existence is more evident in densely populated parts of the city. Some of the characteristics of slum include inadequate and deficient facilities obsolete buildings, filthy environment, etc. Much concern was been shown about the problems of the slum areas particularly on the level of decay exhibited by such areas and the plight of the low income households which dwell in them, this put lives and health of the residents in danger.
Obiagu experienced a large rapid population growth because of the influx of people from different part of the east as a result of the development from the colonial era, hence houses constructed of hands materials sprang up all over the settlement. Thus, the area is crowded with poor housing structures most disorderly located. The settlement has now grown and developed in an unplanned manner resulting in the deterioration of the values of the property and social status of the estate environment.
Therefore, the main aim of the study is to examine the effects of slum on rental property values in Obiagu.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
Obiagu is characterized by slum, where the structure are blighted, high level of occupancy mostly low income group, over crowding, under supply of public amenities, bad roads, this is the basis for this research work, trying to examine the effects of slum on the values of property, located their and also to show or establish that slum development is the major set back in urban growth/development.
1.2 AIM AND OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The aim of the study is to examine the effects of slum on rental property values in Obiagu. To achieve this aim, the following objectives were raised, they are:
a. To identify the causes and effects of slum on rental property values in the study area.
b. To establish the negative and positive effects of slum on rental property values in the study area.
c. To establish whether slum environment makes investment in real estate and property market transactions, a viable venture.
d. To then recommend the best and possible strategy towards eradicating the slum of obiagu area and hence create a suitable environment that will enhance the property value in the areas.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTION
In spite to identify, the research problem earlier stated, some questions have been raised by the researcher; it is believed that when right answers are provided for these questions it will lead to the achievement of the objectives of the study.
The questions are as follows:
1. What are the causes and effects of slum on rental property values in Obiagu?
2. Are there any negative and positive impacts of slum on rental property values?
3. Will investment in real estate and property market transactions in Obiagu be a viable venture?
1.5 THEORETICAL FOUNDATION OF THE STUDY
This research is based on the theory of the highest and best use of land. Highest and best use abdicates the application of land in order to gain maximum benefit not only to their owners but the society at large. Obiagu
Share a Comment
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR ECONOMICS FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» CHAPTER ONE1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDYSince Nigeria got her independence in 1960, it has created policies which are geared towards promoting the Niger...Continue Reading »
61 pages | 0 hits | Source: ECONOMICS
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY The activities of the tourism industry towards economic development of Nigeria have increased ove...Continue Reading »
62 pages | 160 hits | Source: ECONOMICS
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study Economic development of countries is shaped by the way they evolved. Although, transaction and pr...Continue Reading »
55 pages | 224 hits | Source: ECONOMICS
4. POWER SUPPLY AND THE PERFORMANCE OF SMALL AND MEDIUM SCALE INDUSTRIES IN NIGERIA FROM (1986 – 2010)» ABSTRACT This research work centers on the power supply and the performance of small and medium scale industries in Nigeria from 1986 – 2010. carryi...Continue Reading »
50 pages | 138 hits | Source: ECONOMICS
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE SUBJECT MATTER The term low productivity refers to the inability of our public organization to produce ...Continue Reading »
50 pages | 227 hits | Source: ECONOMICS
6. PROXIMATE DETERMINANTS: THE PATHWAYS OF INFLUENCE OF UNDERLYING FACTORS ON UNDER-FIVE MORTALITY IN NIGERIA» Abstract Nigeria is a country with one of the world’s highest rate of under five mortality. Any innovative research aimed at bringing solutions ...Continue Reading »
143 pages | 21 hits | Source: ECONOMICS
7. ASSESSMENT OF CAPITAL GAIN TAX ADMINISTRATION IN NIGERIA: PROBLEM AND PROSPECT. (CASE STUDY OF FEDERAL INLAND REVENUE SERVICE - FIRS OGUN STATE BRANCH...» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY Taxation is a compulsory levy imposed by the Government on the incomes of taxpayers in a geographical...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 105 hits | Source: ECONOMICS
8. COMPARATIVE ANALYSIS OF VALUE ADDED TAX REVENUE AMONG DIFERENT SECTOR IN NIGERIA (CASE STUDY OF FEDERAL INLAND REVENUE LAGOS STATE)» ABSTRACT The research provides a conceptual and analytical study on comparative analysis of value added tax revenue among different sector in Nigeria,...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 204 hits | Source: ECONOMICS
» ABSTRACT This study examined the effect of monetary policy on the financial performance of deposit money banks in Nigeria. Using a time series data fo...Continue Reading »
95 pages | 29 hits | Source: ECONOMICS
10. THE IMPACT OF INTEREST RATE ON INVESTMENT DECISION IN NIGERIA: AN ECONOMETRIC ANALYSIS (1981-2010)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study Investment is the change in capital stock during a period. Consequently, unlike capital, investme...Continue Reading »
75 pages | 134 hits | Source: ECONOMICS