Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 92 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦7,000
The study examines government intervention programme as a tool for reducing youth unemployment in Kaduna State using descriptive statistics and logistic regression. The problem of the study is youth unemployment and the objectives are to examine the impact of government intervention programme on youth unemployment and to examine the effect of socio-economic characteristics on youth unemployment in KadunaState. The study found that 54.4% of the respondents have been employed in various businesses and 36.9% of the unskilled are employed. The study also found that candidates of all education qualification have providedemployments except primary education holders and more males provided more employment than females. The study concluded that SURE P has made a great impact on youth unemployment. The study therefore recommended among others that government should ensure that starter packs are given to all participants and should be well equipped. The government should ensure that take off grants are also given to all beneficiaries and participants should be given desired area of interest. Government should provide a long lasting solution to the epileptic power supply problem for enhancement.
1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY
Nigeria‟s population is said to have reached about 167 million people in 2012
(National Bureau of Statistics, 2012). The National Population Commission (NPC,
2013) states that about half of the population is made up of youth, defined as individuals
between 15 and 34 years of age. Unfortunately, as the youth population grows, so does
the unemployment rate. In fact, unemployed youth numbered about 11.1 million in
2012. According to Doreo partners (2013) unemployment rate in Nigeria is growing at
the rate of 16% per year with the youth impacted the most and accounting for three
times the general unemployment.
Nigeria has an average unemployment rate of 23.9% between 2006 to2015;
specifically, Kaduna state has an unemployment rate of 25.7% well above the national
average and has the second highest incidence of poverty in the North western zone with
52.4% as core poor and 38.2% as moderately poor (African outlook online).A world
Bank study in 2009 revealed that Kaduna state ranks among the top six cities in Nigeria
with the highest unemployment rate.
The origin of unemployment in Nigeria can be traced back to the oil boom era of
1970s. During the period, Nigerian government and individuals abandoned agriculture
which was the mainstay of the economy. This led to rural urban migration as people
attempted to reap from the windfall from oil. Production of agricultural commodities for
export declined. Since then unemployment set in and Nigerian government started
working tirelessly to achieve youth independence and improve economic status through
several reforms and/or programs.
One of the recent programs is the Subsidy Reinvestment and Empowerment Program
(SURE-P) which was established by the Federal Government on January 2012. It was
established in order to encourage wealth creation and provide much needed palliatives
in the area that would bring visible and immediate impact on the teeming populace. It is
more or less a whole range of activities and programmatic scheme. The implementation
of the program atthe state level (Kaduna State) was preceded by the formation of a
committee to identify programs, project and activities to be untaken. The committee
identified six different sectors to intervene namely education, health, infrastructure,
agriculture, youth empowerment and security. For the purpose of this study the
researcher focuses on infrastructure, agriculture and youth empowerments because it is
in these sectors that youth were provided with employment opportunity.
In the infrastructural sector intervention was made in order to reduce unemployment
rate by taking youth off the streets.Government purchased and distributed vehicles and
tricycles worthN763,411,422.00. Vehicle like brand new Nissan, Tata luxuries buses,
haice mini buses were distributed. About 775 beneficiaries at 5% subsidy were given
vehicles and payment to be done in 12 and 24 mouths.(State house,2012).
In the agricultural youth and woman empowerment scheme Kaduna state trained 7600
youths in 50 different businesses. They were given starter packs and take off grant of N
10,000 (State house, 2012). Under agriculture, 2,300 youth were empowered in the
following area bee keeping, cassava production, cattle fattening, fishery, ginger
production, rice production, maize production, poultry, piggery, sheep/goat, honey
processing, animal husbandry, vegetable processing and sugar cane production.
Moreover, in the agricultural sector the bank of agricultural was given
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR ECONOMICS FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» ABSTRACT The purpose of this study is to find out if actually there is an impact of taxation as aid to economic development and my study is based on t...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRDUCTION Unemployment is a serious macroeconomic problem which poses great danger to the peace, security and eve n the existence of...Continue Reading »
3. ASSESSING THE POTENTIALS OF CULTURAL TOURISM TO ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT OF MORO’A CHIEFDOM, KAURA L.G.A KADUNA STATE, NIGERIA» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY Tourism is the free movement of people to destinations outside their usual places of residence an...Continue Reading »
4. EFFECT OF TREASURY SINGLE ACCOUNT ON FRAUD DETECTION AND PREVENTION IN NIGERIA (A CASE STUDY OF NIGERIA PORT AUTHORITY)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1. Background of the study A lot has been said on Treasury single account (TSA) since its conception and implementation in ...Continue Reading »
5. THE IMPACT OF AN INVESTIGATION INTO THE PROBLEMS AND PROSPECTS OF RUNNING SEPARATE HOMES BY MARRIED COUPLES (A STUDY OF ORUMBA SOUTH LGA OF ANAMBRA ...» ABSTRACT The main involvement of the study was an investigation into the problems and prospect of running separate homes by married couples in Orumba ...Continue Reading »
6. THE IMPACT OF FOOD IMPORTATION ON FOOD PRODUCTION IN NIGERIA: THE CASE OF RICE IMPORTATION AND PRODUCTION» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study Agricultural sector was the main stay of the Nigerian economy before independence and immediately...Continue Reading »
7. THE INFLUENCE OF THE REDUCTION IN OIL PRICE AND THE DEVALUATION OF NAIRA ON THE NIGERIA ECONOMIC GROWTH» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY Nigeria, the most populous black nation situated in western Africa is popularly known for her dom...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT Small and Medium enterprises are the catalyst for economic growth in most economies thus, the fundamental objective of this study is to inves...Continue Reading »
9. CROSS BORDER CRIMES AND SOCIO-ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT OF ECOWAS MEMBER STATES: THE NIGERIA EXPERIENCE» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study Over the years various activities across the borders of ECOWAS member states have hindered sustai...Continue Reading »
10. INSTITUTIONAL STRENGTHENING AND THE EFFICIENCY OF PUBLIC SERVICE DELIVERY: A CASE STUDY OF SERVICOM, SOKOTO» Abstract The adequacy and efficiency of the civil and public sector is the center point of every country in this 21st century. This can only be attain...Continue Reading »