Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
This researcher work was embarked upon to study the efficiency of monetary policy in controlling inflation in Nigeria.
The need for this study was informed by the trend of inflationary growth over the years, the impact of inflation on the achievement of the four basic goals of monetary policy: economic growth, price stability, inflationary rate or favourable balance of payment.
May research work have been carried out on this issue previously but despite all good policies of government and its agencies, these goals have remained elusive over the years.
There is therefore the need for study on this sensitive issue, to research, articulate and review the current approach and review the current approach to monetary policy which its success hinges crucially on the extent to which the budgetary programme of the federal government can be harmonized with the goal of monetary policy.
In Nigeria, the central bank is at the apex of the banking pyramids, applies a variety of policy measure and techniques to control and regulate money and credit in order to attain the desired economic goals or objectives. It is therefore necessary and important to use the package of monetary policy measures as basis for discussing the efficiency or otherwise of general economic management strategies.
Government policy statements clearly reveal that inflation became a problem in Nigeria about the early 1970’s. This contention can be substantiated from the fact that the economy began to experience double digit rate of inflation from early part of the decade. The problem of the inflation is not peculiar to Nigeria, but it is a global problem confronting the majority; if not all countries of the world. The attempt by the Nigeria government to attain a higher level of an economic development at this period, generally led to spiral inflation in the country. But whether inflation in Nigeria is due to monetary mismanagement on the part of the authorities concerned or came by inherent structural deficiencies, still remains uncertain. Many factors have been identified to be responsible for inflationary pressure in the country. In the process of formulating monetary policies, it is paramount important to specify objectives and also impossible to evaluate performance.
Government policies are to achieve certain objective which include price stability, high rate of economic growth and balance of payment equilibrium. Monetary policy can be employed in encouraging investment and controlling inflation while fiscal policy can be effective in reducing consumption of luxury and ostentatious goods. But the major concern of this project is to explore the effectiveness of monetary policy in controlling inflationary pressure in an economy like Nigeria.
It is generally believed by some economists that inflationary effects are quite harmful to some business establishments. This could be so because vendors often loss in the sense that the value of their money falls short of its original purchasing power.
The extent of the effect of inflation in Nigeria has forced Nigeria to adopt several monetary policy measures within. However these policy measures have not solved the problem of inflation as could be seen for the associated increase in the cost of production during the period under consideration.
It is therefore in view of the above that it becomes necessary to example some of the mixed policy instruments used and hence their efficiency as regards inflationary control.
The problems of inflation in reflection to economic growth and development have been extensively discussed. The problem is.
1.1 STATEMENT OF PROBLEM
The problem this study attempts to address is to evaluate the efficiency of monetary policy in controlling inflation in Nigeria. Also without this study it will be impossible to determine whether monetary policy is efficient in controlling and bringing down inflation to the nearest minimum and to achieve its original objectives.
This piece also do expand and enrich available literature and could provide opportunity for general statement monetary the performance of effective monetary policy in Nigeria.
Studies on the performance of monetary policy in Nigeria and monetary policy programme in general are emerging from the favoured countries. Steven’s (1992) asserts that abundant evidence is available to support that inflation is a big problem affecting Nigeria economic development. However, according to him some empirical evidence are not entirely clear in the support of the assertion, evidence from less favoured economic environment like Nigeria are either non existence or very scanty and untested. Hence, the precise performance of monetary policy can hardly be presently generated.
Not peculiar to Nigerian but has assumed a global phenomenon.
These problems are how: -
1. To identify the policy instruments use in controlling inflation in Nigeria.
2. To find out who is responsible for introducing and enforcing the policies.
3. To appraise their efficiencies since inflation started.
4. To find out which method that will help stop monetary mismanagement as it affects inflation.
These problems listed out are major problems that should be looked into
1.2 OBJECTIVES OF THE RESEARCH
It is necessary to state the primary objective of this research having identified the ruling monetary policy instruments in Nigeria and the economic objective that these are expected to influence.
These are as follows: -
1. This work is set out to investigate the cause of inflation in Nigeria
2. To investigate if Nigerian momentary policy is efficient or not, in the achievement of certain objective of the economy and inflationary control in particular.
3. To see it the non-realization of the economic objective is due to choice of wrong instrument or inappropriate application of the instruments.
4. To recommend policy solutions based on the research findings the policy recommendations based on such findings will then serve as a guide to the further application of monetary policies.
1.3 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
The following questions are relevant to the research;
1. What are the causes of inflation?
2. What are consequences of inflation?
3. Does inflation have any effect on income?
4. Does the level of money stock influence inflationary rate?
5. Can economic growth be constant during inflationary periods?
6. Does inflation hamper economic growth?
7. Can monetary policy measure control inflation?
8. How can inflation be controlled if not estimated?
Based on the problem, statement and purpose of study, the following hypotheses were formulated:
H0: There is a significant relationship between the money supply and inflationary rate in the economy
H0: There is a significant relationship between economic growth and inflationary rate in the economy.
Hi: There is no significant relationship between the money supply and inflationary rate in the economy.
Hi: There is no significant relationship between economic growth.
1.5 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The study is centered on efficiency of monetary policy in controlling inflation in Nigeria.
LIMITATION OF STUDY
Financial constraint- Insufficient fund tends to impede the efficiency of the researcher in sourcing for the relevant materials, literature or information and in the process of data collection.
Time constraint- The researcher will simultaneously engage in this study with other academic work. This consequently will cut down on the time devoted for the research work.
1.6 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The following are the significance of this study:
1. The results from this study will recommend policy solutions based on the research findings the policy recommendations based on such findings will then serve as a guide to the further application of monetary policies. They will also understand through this study the effects of efficiency of monetary policy in controlling inflation in Nigeria.
2. This research will be a contribution to the body of literature in the area of the analysis of the study is centered on efficiency of monetary policy in controlling inflation in Nigeria, thereby constituting the empirical literature for future research in the subject area.
1.5 DEFINITION OF TERMS
The operational terms are defined to help the reader have a better understanding of the subject matter of the researcher.
This consists of government action in achieving a certain set of economic objective.
A statement including objectives to be attained; It may include proportion in the use of the means to obtain these objectives.
It is a government policy that concerns revenue and taxation.
It is the period of general rise in price level of all goods and or service. It can simply be understood as when few goods are in existence more than money or more money chasing few goods.
It is condition of general rise in price caused by production cost.
It is a condition of general rise in price caused by increase in aggregate demand.
It is a situation in which prices are rising, with little or no increase in output.
It is a high rate of inflation associated with industrial inactivity and high rate unemployment.
Discount Window Operation:
A policy instruments to signal the desired direction of interest rates by CBN and in accordance with its role as tender of last resort.
Gross Domestic Product (GDP)
It is the aggregate value of goods and services produced within a nation or area.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR ECONOMICS FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. IMPACT OF MADE-IN-NIGERIA PRODUCTS ON THE ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT OF NIGERIA (A CASE STUDY OF INNOSON GROUP OF COMPANIES)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY As new ideas in technology continue to evolve, the production efficiency of made in Nigeria products ...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE 1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY Primarily, a stock market is the place where companies can raise money to make their businesses bigger and bet...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 The Background of the Study Currently, Nigeria is tagged a developing nation even though she is blessed with numerous nat...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the Study Stock exchange Market is a financial market involving institutions that deal with securities with...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Background Of The Study The small entrepreneurship has been generally acknowledged as the bedrock of the industrial developme...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION BACKGROUND OF STUDY It is now a glaring fact that so much is happening in the Nigerian polity, especially in relation to econ...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY The rate of urbanization is increasing in both the developed and developing countries. However, r...Continue Reading »
8. THE IMPACT OF PRODUCT DIFFERENTIATION STRATEGY ON SALES PERFORMANCE OF COMMUNICATION FIRM. ( A CASE STUDY OF GLO NIG. LTD)» ABSTRACT The purpose of this study is to highlight the strategy on how different product enhance sales performance in communication industries especia...Continue Reading »
9. RELATIVE IMPACT OF INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY (ICT) IN THE TEACHING AND LEARNING OF ECONOMICS IN AFIKPO NORTH LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF E...» ABSTRACT This research work focused on relative impact of Information Communication Technology (ICT) in the teaching and learning of economics in Afik...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT The study seeks to empirically analyse the impact of exchange rate depreciation on foreign direct investment in Nigeria from 1981 2014. The d...Continue Reading »