Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 78 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
The Niger Delta area is the most fragile region in Nigeria. The presence of oil and gas in the region makes it the goose that lays the golden egg, thus making the region the center of economic and political activities in the country.
The Niger Delta was a foremost part of the area later to be called Nigeria and incorporated into the Atlantic world economy from the 16th century. Thus, the region developed a monetized economy and become ahead of contemporary developments in others part of the future Nigeria, leading to a substantial degree of prosperity and the development of a proud culture in the region. This rare feat constitutes the basis for the formation of own identity.
However, the struggle for self determination and proper distribution of resources among groups within the region and Nigerians ethnic group started with the formation and consolidation of the Nigeria colonial state from the 1940’s. This struggle became inevitable because Niger Delta is a dispersal of small ethnic groups which were force together with predatory and dominant majority ethnic groups.
This minority question was never addressed before Nigeria got her independence in 1960 despite The Henry Commission of 1956 that attempted to solve the issue of minority. The point here is to present a fact that the Niger Delta crisis is rooted in the foundation and structure of the Nigeria state. Over the years the question has contributed greatly to the emergence of violence in Niger Delta region over oil and mineral resources. The insurgency in Niger Delta whether oil or crude oil benefit bother on the foundation and structure of Nigeria state.
These works examine the Niger Delta people before 1960. The research contends that before independence, the people of the region live in peace despite some record of conflict among the ethnic groups in Niger Delta region. The origin of crisis in Niger Delta region and also took a look at the attempt at addressing the crisis through military option to peaceful means.
The aims and objectives of this study include:
1. To examine as baseline study that Niger Delta people and the extent to which it relates with others.
2. To examine the Genesis of the crisis of agitation in the region and how it affects the Nigeria state.
3. To examine the military option which hitherto escalate the Niger Delta crisis to insurgence in the country.
4. To examine the nature of the conflict as it portents to undermine the economy of Nigeria.
5. To identify and evaluate the amnesty programmes as relevant approach in addressing the Niger Delta struggle.
SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The Niger Delta question is an important discourse in Nigeria today. This is so because of the discovery of oil in the region, thus making the region the life wire of the country economy. Over the years resource has turn to serious issue as a result of the neglect of the region. The distribution and the development oil has led to violence and armed conflict between the people and the federal government.
The relevance of this study is to investigate into the genesis of the problem and provide a framework for a critical analysis of why it is important to ensure that the amnesty idea is the best possible solution to the resolution of the crisis. This work will provide first hand information for further research.
In the course of research for this work relevant data and information were obtained from the main sources. These were primary and secondary source.
1. Primary Sources:
Primary sources which were utilized in the course of the research for this work from archival research. Material was consulted at the Edo State Library, Benin City, Benin Institute of Studies, Benin City and the national archive at Ibadan. They include intelligence report other documents relating to this works.
2. Secondary Source:
Secondary source which consulted in some university and public libraries across the country include textbooks, journals and periodicals information obtained from primary sources. These sourced helped to provide data for a critical analysis of conflict management in the Niger Delta that will study Amnesty programme.
SCOPE OF STUDY
The scope of this study on conflict management in the Niger Delta: A case study of the Amnesty programme is limited to the genesis of the Niger Delta question on the struggle for equal distribution of resources which later manifested to oil and mineral resources control. Its manifestation took the shape of violence and insurgence that inevitably led to military option until amnesty programme.
There is yet not much academic work on conflict management in the Niger Delta: A case study of the Amnesty Programme. This however, cannot be said of Nigeria where there are a number of works deal on the Nigeria evolution as a state in politics, economy and the society. There is however, certain literature that deal on relevant aspects on conflict management in Niger Delta. Some of the literature in this group include A. Boro work “A twelve Day Revolution” 1R.T. Akinyele “Patriarch of Minority activities in the Niger Delta”2 O. Ikime The merchant prince of the Niger Delta3. Boro, it highlight the need for a revolution as the solution to the continue exclusion of the area from benefiting from the oil. Akinyele work examine that the domination by the three major groups via Hausa, Yoruba and Igbo as the remote cause of the crisis in the region which border on unequal distribution of government services and institution and exploitation of the resources. Suberu work identified five broad themes as the basis for the people demand and grievances, the disposition of mineral law rent, the application of federally collected mineral revenues, the appropriate institutions and fiscal response to the ecological problem of the oil producing area, the responsibility of the oil prospecting companies to the oil producing communities and the appropriate arrangement of securing the integrity and autonomy of the oil producing communities within the federal structure.
The works are base on conflict in Niger Delta and the problems in the region. This however, would assist in the theoretical analysis of this study.
From the above, it can be seen that none of the existing literature has carried out any substantial analysis of the subject of our study, as their primary focus was on conflict and problem in the Niger Delta.
This however, it will provide the framework for a comprehensive and detailed analysis for this work. Thus, this work will provide a useful and detailed idea for further research on the conflict management in Niger Delta.
This project work is divided into five chapters:
Chapter One: The Niger Delta; its people, cultures and values. This chapter provides a brief historic background of the Niger Delta people.
Chapter Two: The Nature of Niger delta crisis (2003 to 2011). This chapter provides the analysis of the agitation move from peaceful on to insurgence in the region.
Chapter Three: The military option that escalates the crisis.
Chapter Four: The Amnesty Programme
Chapter Five: Conclusion
1. A. Boro, The twelve Day Revolution, Idodo Umeh, Benin City, 1982.
2. R.T. Akinyele, Patriarch of minority activities in the Niger Delta. Faculty of Arts, University of Lagos, Lagos, 2006.
3. O. Ikimi, The merchant prince of the Niger Delta, Heinemann Educational Books, Ibadan, 1968.
4. Suberu, Ethnic minority conflict and Governance in Nigeria. Spectrum, Ibadan, 1996.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
Share a Comment
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR ECONOMICS FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» ABSTRACT This study sets out to examine managing monetary policy in an environment chocked up with huge fiscal deficits and public debt, high inflatio...Continue Reading »
45 pages | 628 hits | Source: ECONOMICS
» ABSTRACT This work reports the results of an experiment carried out among consumers of three competing brands of toothpaste in Lagos Metropolis. The s...Continue Reading »
69 pages | 172 hits | Source: ECONOMICS
3. A CRITICAL ANALYSIS OF REVENUE AND EXPENDITURE OF LOCAL GOVERNMENT ADMINISTRATION IN NIGERIA (CASE STUDY OF MBANABO NORTH LOCAL GOVERNMENT» CHAPTER ONE 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Local government is the third tier of government in Nigeria. The Local government system was entrenched in the...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 208 hits | Source: ECONOMICS
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY Interest rates play important role in controlling major macroeconomic variables. The primary role...Continue Reading »
72 pages | 246 hits | Source: ECONOMICS
5. ANALYSIS OF THE CONTRIBUTION OF INSURANCE COMPANIES TO THE GROWTH OF SMEs: A CASE OF NATIONAL INSURANCE CORPORATION» ABSTRACT The purpose of this study was to establish the relationship between the contributions of insurance companies and the growth of SMEs in NIC ba...Continue Reading »
64 pages | 289 hits | Source: ECONOMICS
6. THE ROLE OF FINANCIAL INSTITUTION IN FINANCING SMALL SCALE CONSTRUCTION INDUSTRY (A CASE STUDY OF UNION BANK OF NIGERIA PLC)» ABSTRACT The study was carried out to examine the role of financial institutions in financing small scale construction industry (a case study of union...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 483 hits | Source: ECONOMICS
7. THE ROLE OF SMALL SCALE BUSINESSES IN THE PROVISION OF EMPLOYMENT TO THE LABOR FORCE: A CASE STUDY OF SHAURIYAKO TRADE CENTER IN KAMPALA DISTRICT» CHAPTER ONE: INTRODUCTION 1.0 Background Small scale enterprises are a major component of the Ugandan business sector that sustained the economy throu...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 577 hits | Source: ECONOMICS
8. AN ASSESSMENT OF THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN MONEY SUPPLY, INFLATION AND OUTPUT IN NIGERIA (1970-2016)» ABSTRACT This study examined the relationship between Money Supply, Inflation andOutput level in Nigeria with view to ascertaining the existence or ot...Continue Reading »
91 pages | 153 hits | Source: ECONOMICS
9. AN ASSESSMENT OF THE ECONOMIC IMPLICATION OF THE PRIVATIZATION OF THE POWER SECTOR IN NIGERIA (A CASE STUDY OF PHCN)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Today, we are witnesses to sweeping changes that are taking place in the economies of both developed ...Continue Reading »
95 pages | 196 hits | Source: ECONOMICS
» A HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVE OF NIGERIA’S EXTERNAL DEBT The management of Nigeria’s external debt has been a major macroeconomic problem espec...Continue Reading »
63 pages | 286 hits | Source: ECONOMICS