Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 54 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
1.1. BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Cyber crime all originated with bitter employees causing physical damage to the computers they worked with, with the objective to get back at their superiors. As the ability to have personal computers at home became more accessible and popular, cyber criminals began to focus their efforts on home users. Further research on this subject matter reveals that history of cybercrime was further established that the first published report of cybercrime in Nigeria occurred in the 1960s, when computers were large mainframe systems. Since mainframes were not connected with other ones and only the wealthy and influential people can have access to them, the cybercrimes were always "insider" cybercrimes, which means employment, allowed them to access into mainframe computers, and then refers to as computer crime rather than cybercrime. Actually, in the 1960s and 1970s, the cybercrime, which was "computer crime" in fact, was different from the cybercrime we faced with today, because availability of Internet was restricted within some sectors like the military in that dispensation. In the following decades, the increasing of computer network and personal computers metamorphosed "computer crime" into real cybercrime. In fact, the former descriptions were "computer crime", "computer-related crime" or "crime by computer". With the pervasion of digital technology, some new terms like "high-technology" or "information age" crime were added to the definition. Since the invention of the internet, other new terms, like "cybercrime" and "net" crime became a household name as people began to exchange information based on networks of computers, also keep data in computer rather than paper. At the same time, the cybercrime was not only restricted in target cybercrime, but expanded into tool cybercrime and computer incidental. We therefore come to terms with a conclusion on the meaning that cybercrime is an evil having its origin in the growing dependence on computers and related devices in modern life. A simple yet sturdy definition of cybercrime would be unlawful acts wherein the computer is either a tool or a target or both”. Defining cybercrimes as illegal behaviour directed by means of electronic operations that targets the security of computer systems and the data processed by them. Cybercrime in a broader sense computer-related crime: any illegal behaviour committed by means of, or in relation to, a computer system or network, including such crimes as illegal possession and offering or distributing information by means of a computer system or network.
Meanwhile, in an attempt to uncover these crimes billions of Naira is lost through these crimes annually with little or no hope of curbing it due to its complex nature. Most perpetrators of this crime are never caught and if at all caught, are never prosecuted because of lack of concrete evidence, organizational and societal awareness. As a result the extent and impact of Cybercrime is uncertain because lack of reporting leads to uncertainty with regard to the extent and impact of the crime. This is especially relevant with regard to the involvement of these crimes as compared to other organized crimes. Available information from the crime statistics in Nigeria is lacking and if any, do not reflect the real extent or impact of this crime in our every-day living.
1.2. STATEMENT OF THE GENERAL PROBLEM
The current menace of cyber crime in Nigeria has witnessed an unprecendented rise among the youths this has regrettably been caused by a host of factors most notable unemployment. Cyber crime has cost Nigeria more in terms of economy as it has greeted a bad image for Nigeria in the disapora which to some extent has hindered prospective investors and thus slowing down economic development and advancement.
1.3. AIMS AND OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The major aim of the study is to examine the effect of cyber crime on Nigeria’s socio economic development. Other specific objectives o the study includes;
1. To determine the level of cyber crime activities in Nigeria.
2. To examine the role of the government in the fight against cyber crime in Nigeria.
3. To study the types of cyber crime evident in Nigeria.
4. To determine the major factors responsible for increase of cyber crime in Nigeria.
5. To recommend ways of improving the fight against cyber crime in Nigeria.
1.4. RESEARCH QUESTIONS
1. What is the effect of cyber crime activities on the socio economic development of Nigeria?
2. What is the level of cyber crime activities in Nigeria?
3. What is the role of the government in the fight against cyber crime in Nigeria?
4. What are the types of cyber crime evident in Nigeria?
5. What are the major factors responsible for increase of cyber crime in Nigeria?
6. What are the ways of improving the fight against cyber crime in Nigeria?
1.5. RESEARCH HYPOTHESIS
H0: Cyber crime does not have an effect on the socio economic development of Nigeria
H1: Cyber crime does have an effect on the socio economic development of Nigeria
1.6. SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The study would be of immense importance to government at all levels as it seeks to reveal the effect of cyber crime activities on the socio economic development of Nigeria. The study would also benefit students, researchers and scholars who are interested in a further study on the subject matter.
1.7. SCOPE AND LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
The study is restricted to the effect of cyber crime on Nigeria’s socio economic development a case study of Lagos state.
LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
Financial Constraint- Insufficient fund tends to impede the efficiency of the researcher in sourcing for the relevant materials, literature or information and in the process of data collection (internet, questionnaire and interview)
Time Constraint- The researcher will simultaneously engage in this study with other academic work. This consequently will cut down on the time devoted for the research work.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR COMPUTER SCIENCE FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» ABSTRACT The magnitude of operational losses in the supply of electricity in Nigeria has been growing significantly. Issues of theft and illegal conne...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION Computer plays a vital role is the development of any company, it also solves some of its complex problem faced by man an...Continue Reading »
3. DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION OF A WEATHER FORECASTING PACKAGE FOR AVIATION INDUSTRY (A CASE STUDY OF PORTHARCOURT INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT)» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION Every day, millions of weather – based economic decisions are made in transportation, agriculture, power, construct...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACTThe fundamental aim of this project is to emphasize how a system of information network aids the government and police administration in decis...Continue Reading »
5. DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION OF A COMPUTER BASED SEAPORT BILLING SYSTEM (A Case Study Of Nigerian Port Authority Lagos)» ABSTRACT Handling of cargo has been a circular task all these while in our various ports. And Nigerian Ports Authority (N.P.A) being an organization r...Continue Reading »
» TABLE OF CONTENTSviTitle Page iApproval page iiCertification iiiDedication ivAcknowledgement vTable of contents viList of figures xList of tables xiAb...Continue Reading »
7. LIBRARY AUTOMATION OF SCHOOL OF INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY LIBRARY, FEDERAL UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY MINNA, NIGER STATE» ABSTRACT Libraries play a vital role in the educational, industrial and technological progress of a country, of which it role is to achieve a free flo...Continue Reading »
8. DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION OF A COMPUTERIZED PRODUCT DISTRIBUTION MONITORY SYSTEM (NIGERIA BREWERIES 9TH MILE CORNER ENUGU STATE)» CHAPTER ONE 1.1.INTRODUCTION Distribution is a system through which goods produced are transferred from the production area to the final consumer thro...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of study The continuous advancement in the information and communication technology as contributed a lot to th...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONEINTRODUCTION1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDYComputer security is information security as applied to computers and networks. The field covers all...Continue Reading »