Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 55 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Time-table is a structured schedule of an event with time at which they occur, especially time of arrival and departure according to Adedokun J. B. (2014)
A time-table is an organized set of courses in a tabular form, which makes information available about a series of arranged events such as the time range for the event to take place, venues, invigilators and supervisors that will monitor how the event is carried out.
It will be very important for us to know that time resources is the most valuable asset in the world, which may result to failure if there is no proper planning, scheduling and management so time-table has come into existence which serves as solution to the world wide time planning and management challenges, which when applied appropriately will yield fulfillment of the aim.
School of Information and Communication Technology, Federal University of Technology, Minna, applies manual approach in constructing an examination time-table. This is done by the examination officer, who ensures that examinations are conducted effectively and free of hitches. This is done by collecting all the list of courses that are offered by all the departments in the School of Information and Communication Technology. The examination officer uses this list to form a tentative Examination time-table. The time-table is liable to changes if there is any observation either from the staff or student in the faculty, if there are any clashes or omission of courses, it will be effected before the final time-table is released. This is always done two weeks before the commencement of the examination.
The manual construction of time-table (in Universities, Polytechnics, Monotechnics, colleges and other lower academic Institutions) is time consuming and particularly involve straining up of brain which may eventually result to some errors as it were, which may still demand for setting of another time-table with the mindset of attaining a desired and favorable Examination Time Table as the case may be. Computer solution to the problem can give more flexibility, make it easy to incorporate new requirements and save effort and it’s time conserving even as the world is approaching paperless era.
Examination time-table scheduling is an optimization problem to which either maximization or minimization of the available resources takes place depending on the choice. The variables are very large and combination explosive and the primary aim is to schedule the Examination time-table such that a clash of schedule does not occur and the time-table should be a good one that is acceptable.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
For many years in the Faculty, time-table has always been generated using common type of time-table generation technique, which is the manual technique. However, there have been errors on the generated manual examination time table, these errors include the following: inability to spread courses evenly, clashes in the examination time-table (i.e. two courses offered by a student are assigned to the same period). Invigilators are also affected due to the fact that an invigilator may be assigned more than one courses at the same period.
Also, the officer in charge has his own challenges in the process of generating the examination time-table. The challenges are: stress involved during the process, time spent in the process which otherwise can be used for another productive work.
1.3 AIM AND OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The main aim of this project is to Design and Implement a University Time-table System that will provide an effective and efficient way of generating Examination time-table.
The objectives of the project are:
i. To study the existing method of examination time-table generation
ii. To design a system that will schedule courses, venues, invigilators and supervisors
iii. To implement the designed system
1.4 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
Considering the importance and vital role Examination time table plays in the University system, this project will definitely be of tremendous benefit to the university. This project is very significant in the sense that it will assist the University timetabling team and the users of the Examination Time-table officer, the lecturers and the students who are the benefactors of the generated Examination time-table.
Some benefit of the generated Examination time-table is in providing best possible solutions that can foster/enhance: Productivity, Quality of services and Quality of Education.
This is achieved by providing the following listed features: User friendly program, better scheduled Exam Time-table, Error free time-table, easily generated time-table and Clash free time-table.
1.5 SCOPE OF STUDY
This project titled “DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION OF A UNIVERSITY ELECTRONIC EXAMINATION TIME-TABLE SYSTEM (A CASE STUDY OF INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY)” intended to cover the School of Information and Communication Technology Examination Time-table, the main users are the officers in charge, the lecturers and the students. It will be limited to: Registration of Courses, Venues, Invigilators and Supervisors, and Generation of the Time-table as the system will handle inputted information and allocate them across the Time-table appropriately.
1.6 LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
This project research is limited only to the Examination timetabling process of the faculty, School of Information and Communication Technology, although the same procedure can as well be used for scheduling Lectures time-table. Reasons are due to the time factor and because it covers many fields.
In the course of this research work, the following limitations are encountered:
a. Time-table for all courses offered by the Student of Federal University of Technology Minna, were not put into consideration
b. Spill over courses were not put into consideration
1.7 OPERATIONAL DEFINITION OF TERMS
Examination: A formal test involving answering or writing in a particular place at set out time.
Optimization: the design and operation of a system or process to make it as good as possible
In some defined sense
Slot: A space where some information will display such as Time, Courses, Invigilators, Venues etc
Simulated: Made to imitate manual outlook
Automation: The act of converting the controlling of a system or approach into an electronic controls by using computer.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR COMPUTER SCIENCE FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. Development of an Online Tourist Accommodation Reservation Recommender System for the Nigerian Hospitality Industry» The process of remotely booking accommodation for a tourist city in the country is the primary purpose of this computer science project topic. The sof...Continue Reading »
2. DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION OF COMPUTER SECURITY: DATA ENCRYPTION, DECRYPTION AND KEY HASH ALGORITHMS» ABSTRACTComputer security is a process of protecting computer system and information from harm and unauthorized use. The most important security tool ...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION Pharmacy management system is a management system that is designed to improve accuracy and to enhance safety and efficien...Continue Reading »
4. DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION OF A MEDICAL BILLING SYSTEM (FEDERAL MEDICAL CENTER LOKOJA, KOGI STATE)» CHAPTER ONE 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Medical is responsible for the supply of drugs to various inhabitants in zone at specific drug rates. Form the...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACTWe all are aware of errors and losses of funds and man power arising from non continuity of project ranging from one administration to another...Continue Reading »
» ...Continue Reading »
7. IMPACT OF SHIFTING, NEGOTIATION, AND SCHEDULING OF FLEXIBLE WORK ARRANGEMENT ON EMPLOYEE’S PERFORMANCE OF MTN CALL CENTRES JOS, NIGERIA» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study The main goal of introducing flexible work arrangements in an organization is to help employees m...Continue Reading »
8. DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION OF A COMPUTERISED TRAFFIC OFFENCE DOCUMENTATION SYSTEM (CASE STUDY OF FEDERAL ROAD SAFETY COMMISSIONER, ENUGU) (Computer Sc...» ABSTRACT This project is carried out in order to develop computer based Traffic Offence documentation system to all aviate the problems incurred in Fe...Continue Reading »
9. DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION OF A COMPUTERIZED HOTEL BUSINESS BILLING SYSTEM. (A CASE STUDY OF MODOTEL HOTEL LIMITED ENUGU)» Abstract This work is carried out to identify and discuss the need for a computer system in hotel business billing system. A hotel business is a hospi...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION The world today has become computerized, where most manually done task are now automated for versatility, flexibility, accura...Continue Reading »