Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 63 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
Background of the study
A secretary is an assistant to an executive possessing mastery of office skills and ability to assume responsibility without direct supervision, who displays initiative, exercise judgment and takes decision within the scope to her authority. The Webster Dictionary of English (2005) however, defined a Secretary as one trusted with secret of or confidence of a superior, adviser, confident or one employed to handle correspondence and manage routine and detailed work for a superior. This depicts that a secretary is a skilled personnel who possess both executive and personal attributes in managing the affairs of any organization effectively and efficiently in order to achieve organizational objective. From this description, Onasanya (1990) defines a Secretary as someone who possess adequate knowledge of administration or organization and the ability to achieve results through hard work and management of resources or people on behalf of his/her boss. Its classification depends basically on experience and their functions are diverse and this depends largely on the field of specification. The cadre of secretaries tends to determine and at the same time modify the function of such secretary.
According to Rule and Byars (1983), performance is the degree of accomplishment of the tasks that makes up on individual job, but the performance of these function can be greatly inhibited by certain functions.
According to Alancik and Fetter (1977) a job is satisfying when there is a match between the characteristic of the job and the needs of the individuals. The determinants include self-evolution, expectation, social norms, social comparisons, commitment etc, for instance, if on e expects a job to be paying well, and it is not, them he/she will be dissatisfied. Also if one is not evaluated up to the standard, she will also not be happy (dissatisfied).
The Secretary’s satisfaction leads to organization commitment, while dissatisfaction result in behaviors is know to the organization. (Turnover, absentee’s, low morale, etc).
Those who are dissatisfied with their work never reach psychological maturity. They feel frustrated. Employees who like their jobs and other job related factors will be loyal and devoted employees. However, employees who strongly dislike and dissatisfied with their job or any other job related factors will often exhibits these feelings by taking absent or by taking more convert actions to disrupt the organization.
A Conflict is a serious disagreement or argument. Conflict has become a feature of labor management relationship in Nigeria while Secretaries and Bosses in the industries should work harmoniously together for the betterment to the fulfilled in practice. Secretaries and bosses tend to have opposite views. This is because of the divergence between the expectation of management and labor in an Establishment.
Statement of the problem
The Secretary is flexible, technically good in their jobs and they are determined. Public concern regarding the conflicts of bosses and secretaries in Nigeria has been on the increase in recent times. It is observed that many qualified secretaries desecrate their jobs and take to other professions entirely different from Secretarial profession. Many Secretaries that choose to remain in the profession do not seek ways of improving their management in an organization.
Generally, the concern is more on the conflicts between Bosses and Secretaries; no mention is ever made of the factors responsible of these conflicts. Certain questions need to be asked in an attempt to recognize those factors that causes the conflicts in state owned establishment.
Purpose of the Study
The major purpose of this study is:
- To basically investigate some of the causes of conflicts between Bosses and Secretaries in State owned Establishment.
- To examine the damages which conflicts between bosses and secretaries caused to different industries
- To find out the consequences of such conflicts
- To suggest remedy and strategies for solving conflicts between Bosses and secretaries in state owned establishment.
Significance of the Study
The study is significant for the following reasons:
The result of the study will enable the Management to formulate a policy toward conflicts resolution in establishment industries.
It will help to highlight some of the factors which cause conflict between bosses and secretaries in a state establishment (AHOCOL) so that management will appreciate the seriousness of the problem.
The study will also enable the management to formulate policies towards conflicts resolution in industries. It will serve as a guide (especially in establishment industry) to enable them prepare their minds on how to take the conflicts likely to come.
The information contain in the study will be of assistance to students who might be interested in further research into other areas of secretaries and bosses conflicts not covered by not present study.
1. What are the factors that cause the conflicts between bosses and secretaries?
2. What are the damages caused by such conflicts?
3. What are the method used in resolving this conflict between bosses and secretaries?
Delimitations of the Study
This study was delimitated to the causes of problem between Secretaries and Bosses in industries owned by the Government and to enable management to formulate a policy towards conflicts resolution in industries.
Definition of terms
1. Secretary – Is an employee in an office, who deals with correspondence, keeps records and makes management and appointments for a particular member of the staff.
2. Boss – A boss is a person who is the head of a company, not merely in change of subordinate workers but in charge of all lower level manager and supervisors, sometimes called middle management.
3. Establishment – As a place where a business is carried on.
4. Industry - An industry is a group of companies that manufacture products and services which are closely related to each other.
5. Organization - Is a social unit of people that is structed and managed to meet a need or to pursue collective goals.
6. Conflicts – refers to some form of friction, disagreement or discord arising within a group when the beliefs or actions of one or more members of the group are either resisted by or unacceptable to one or more members of another group.
7. Skill – This refers to all activities that require the control of physical movements to be made.
8. Performance – Secretaries ability to carryout the duties and responsibilities demanded to his/her position.
9. Source: Oxford Advanced Learners (6th edition)
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR BUSINESS MANAGEMENT FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY In recent years, intensive research and development has been done in the area of project risk managem...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION In managing an organization many process or techniques are employed (for instance recruitment training and development staffi...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study The ultimate goal of every firm in business is profit i.e. (Profit Maximization) and cost minimiz...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY It is a known fact that the Nigerian construction industry continues to occupy an important posit...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study The Canadian institute of chartered accountants. Exposure draft of proposal auditing recommendati...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT Merger and acquisition has been widely acclaimed by scholars and professionals in business as the most desirable and effective strategy to re...Continue Reading »
7. INFLUENCE OF LEADERSHIP STYLE ON EMPLOYEES’ PERFORMANCE IN GOVERNMENT ESTABLISHMENTS (A STUDY OF EBONYI STATE MINISTRY OF FINANCE, ABAKALIKI).» Abstract The study examined the influence of leadership style on employees’ performance in government establishments; with particular reference ...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY People work generally in order to make moneys food their families and enjoy better condition of l...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study Armmd 1999, empirical researchers began to examine the performance and consequences of formal str...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.0 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Management is an important process that ensure the existence of an organization and the achieveme...Continue Reading »