Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 73 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
Material management is an integrated management approach to the planning, purchasing, ware housing, stock keeping allocation and movement of needed material from point of source to user department. It can also be defined as the process of management of material which involves purchasing, storage control and transportation.
Material management is a relatively new discipline. The 20th century's rapid growth and the significant industrial development has played a major role in the relationship and effective management of the traditional 5Ms which are: Machine, material, men, money and management.
The famous industrial revolution made material(s) the largest elements cost in any organization.
At the wake of the 20th century many firms had recognized the importance of material, and several material activities like purchasing, ware housing, stock control and distribution carried out by the organization.
By the 1950 firms have identified the need for effective coordination or integration of such material activities and material organization tools concept like those of physical distribution movement, logistic movement and material management as a means to check, co-ordinate and control the firm's material activities.
Globally, there is no clear definition on the area of material management. According to M.A. Tokunbo (1987) defines it in the context of store and material control as compensation for the effective co-ordination of the principle element.
ü Identifying, classifying and coordination of stocks
ü Provision, inventory control and stress accounting
ü Store house layout and organization
ü In house storage handling and distribution
ü Presentation of materials in store.
To these, material management has the duty to apply the most suitable technique in the most effective way to ensure the minimum total cost consistent with providing the service required.
The American production and inventory control; society (APICS) defines material management technique and production as the grouping of management function related to the complete cycle of material flow from the purchase and internal control of work in the latter term, traditionally is limited to internal control of production materials.
In examining the whole definition one could easily notice that they are not quite different from one another only the way of approach and little difference in terminology. In this respect (material and resource) or material management is not only limited to buying and storing as many view it but involves also purchasing, transport and distribution planning and continuous monitoring.
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
The subject matter of this study is the effect of material management technique on production planning process in United Nigeria Textile Plc (UNT Plc), Kaduna. The research is meant to be of great importance to various enterprise and organization wishing to conduct a detailed study into stores and purchasing material hence, the research aims at identifying the problems associated with efficient operation in an organization, the research is interested in knowing the effect of material management technique on production planning process as practicable in an organization. Due to sophistication in technology coupled with socio-economic and political instability, production processes face complex problems that needs to be addressed by management ensuring that materials are allocated and used in the most efficient and effective manner.
The material management technique on production is also to identify problems by guiding against supb-optimization of the material management techniques in production planning processes, for this the researcher suggests that which will achieve optimal result quickly, cheaper and acceptable.
Today materials are the live-wire of every organization be it public or private hence no organization can survive without material, its availability, distribution and transportation and delivery at the right amount and quality is paramount.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEMS
United Nigeria Textile Plc (UNT Plc), Kaduna. is faced with problems in relation to utilization of the effect of material management being the utmost thing that are needed to be utilized effectively. The problem facing material management especially United Nigeria Textile Plc (UNT Plc), Kaduna. are mainly under stocking or over stoking of material, stock obsolescence breakage and the economic order quantity.`
Due to the fact that the impact is to be felt positively in the society by making themselves’ productive in every area of inputs.
But despite the effect observed there have been general apathy, ignorance and lack of interest by many people and the government.
1.3 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
Specifically, the aims and objectives of this study are:
i. To assess the impact of material management on organizational performance.
ii. To appraise and further appreciate the significance of material management in a manufacturing industry.
iii. To identify and ascertain some of the problems poised by materials management in Nigerian United Nigeria Textile Plc (UNT Plc), Kaduna.
iv. It is also the researcher's desire that this compilation will be of great help and interest to whosoever uses it to gain knowledge on issues discussed.
1.4 STATEMENT OF HYPOTHESIS
The following hypothesis was formulated for this study:
H0: Material management does not have any significant impact on organizational performance of SMEs.
H1: Material Management does have significant impact on organizational performance of SMEs.
1.5 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
A research of this nature will be incomplete without highlighting the importance of this study.
Firstly, the researcher as a student aspiring to be a material executive in the future sees this study as an opportunity to fully investigate into the field of materials management to see the challenges therein.
Secondly, the study is needed as a pre-requisite for the award of the Higher National Diploma in Production and Operation Management (POM).
Furthermore, the researcher has also undertaken the study in order to gather necessary information and suggest solution to the problem facing materials management in United Nigeria Textile Plc (UNT Plc), Kaduna.
1.6 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The subject matter “Materials Management” has an area of coverage within its concept, i.e. theory and practice in the private sector. This would also include purchasing, stocktaking and stock checking of materials.
1.7 LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
In carrying out this research, certain problems were encountered which in fact hindered the area of coverage.
· The researcher faced the problem of sourcing for materials for the project.
· Time constraint was a factor the researcher encountered. This resulted in the backlog of the researcher’s class work.
· Lack of textbooks related to the subject matter also contributed to backlog in writing the project.
· Unco-operative and bureaucratic attitude of United Nigeria Textile Plc (UNT Plc), officials who were reluctant in providing necessary information in writing.
· Despite all these constraints, the researcher was lucky to gather vital information that made the investigation a success.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. AN ANALYSIS OF FOREIGN DIRECT INVESTMENT AND GROWTH OF THE COMMUNICATION SUBSECTOR: A STUDY OF NIGERIAN TELECOMMUNICATION INDUSTRY» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY “Statelessness does provide certain environmental advantages. Among the benefits are the ab...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE GENERAL INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY The current difficulties and uncertainties in business underline the importance of profes...Continue Reading »
» PROPOSAL This project has to discourse extensively on how to open and operate a standard restaurant both in country and outside the country. It is als...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY According the Kotler (1986:80 distribution channel involves planning, implementing and controllin...Continue Reading »
5. PRICING DETERMINANTS AND CUSTOMER SATISFACTION OF SELECTED PAINT MANUFACTURING COMPANIES IN ABIA STATE, NIGERIA» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the Study In the competitive environments, investing in customer satisfaction is a means of creating a sust...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT The study was carried out to examine the financial Problems and Survival Strategies of Small Scale enterprise in Aguata Local Government Area...Continue Reading »
7. THE IMPACT OF TRAINING ON WORKERS’ PERFORMANCE (A CASE STUDY OF POWER HOLDING COMPANY OF NIGERIA, BENIN CITY, EDO STATE)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY The effectiveness in realization of an organization’s set goals and objectives is within th...Continue Reading »
» TABLE OF CONTENTS6PAGESTitle page........................................................................................................................Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACTThis study examined the impact of dividend yield on stock prices of Nigerian banks; theimpact of earnings yield on stock prices of Nigeria ban...Continue Reading »
10. IMPACT OF EMPLOYEES MOTIVATION ON ORGANIZATIONAL PRODUCTIVITY. (A CASE STUDY OF POWER HOLDING COMPANY OF NIGERIA ENUGU, ENUGU STATE)» ABSTRACT The study is focused on the impact of employee motivation on organizational productivity.(A Case Study of PHCN Okpara Avenue). The population...Continue Reading »