Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 58 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Traditional budgeting has been criticized for a long time now for its inadequacy as a means of management control. Criticisms concerning its inadequate practices in a changing business environment emerged as early as the mid 1980’s with Johnson and Kaplan (1987) seminal book relevance lost?
It called also note from the work of Allen (1998). Who stated that the rapid changes in today’s business environment renders a rigid approach to budgetary control obsolete. It is no longer helpful in his anything up to 15 months previously. He argues that amongst the requirements of a more appropriate system, would be the building in of accountability to explain the differences between actual and planned performance. This demands a more immediate time frame of information reporting. Thus, there is a need to integrate strategic management and budgeting. The works of C. Adams et al (200) called be pointed to this regard. These author, conceptualized that to be effective, budgets must aligned with the organization’s strategies, appropriate strategic planning, and performance management process introduced, and must involve processes that are value based, consequential and continuous.
The work of Tim Blumentritt (2006) called be viewed as further contributions to the above stand point as he recognizes the need for organizations to integrate strategic management and budgeting. What seems rather unfortunate according to Tim Blumetritt (2006) is the fact that most organizations still great the budgeting and strategic management processes separately and also, a significant portion of small and medium sized enterprises do not engage in strategic planning (Tim Blunetritt 2006, p 74).
Hence, the reason for this research work which is to investigate the question; “what is the budgeting practice in Nigerian manufacturing company?” The motivation for this study also comes from the work of Herath and Indrani (2007) who investigated on the “roles of Budgetary Control System (BCS) as a component of the Management Control System (MCS) in creating and sustaining competitive advantage” and came up with a positive conclusion. They concluded that though BCS called play a leading role in establishing an efficient MCS for creating a sustainable competitive advantage, budgeting will not function in isolation (P 79). “Instead, it can be used more effectively oriented knowledge enterprise” (Herath and Indrani; 2007, P179)
The choice of Nigerian Breweries is related to the fact that it is a manufacturing company in a very competitive industry and lots of challenges faces Nigerian manufacturing companies as they struggle with economic depression and high inflation resulting form IMF world bank led structural adjustment plan (SAP) implemented by the Nigerian government. These programs were initiated to promote the liberalization of the domestic economy, operations efficiency, productivity growth, privately owned enterprises development, economic growth, trade and investment. The economic liberalization policies have nurtured on upon economy and have minimized the hurdles that the manufacturing companies need to clear in order to obtain raw materials and inputs, and other resources for productive activities. However, it has created an unprecedented change in their business environment through increased competition both in the domestic market and from need to development and implement a well conceived strategic plan is order to be competitive in the business environment.
1.2 Statement of the Problem
No matter ho well a plan is organized, it cannot produce results on its own, thereby the need for control strategy through budgeting practices to check compliance and excesses in the manufacturing industry with particular reference to Nigerian Breweries. What is the budgeting practice in the Nigerian manufacturing companies?
1.3 Objectives of the Study
The aim of this study is to investigate the management control practice (budget being the tool for management control) in Nigerian breweries. The objectives of this study include the following:
i. To examine the present system of budgeting being practiced in Nigerian Breweries.
ii. To examine how budgeting and control system effectively put to use in order to enhance the accomplishment of the organizational set goals and objectives.
iii. To highlight some of the problems that militates against better performance.
1.4 Research Questions
i. What is the present system of budgeting being practiced in Nigerian Breweries.
ii. How is budgeting and control system effectively used in order to enhance the accomplishment of organization goal and objectives.
iii. What are the problems that militate against better performance.
1.5 Significance of the Study
The target groups of this study are managers, business practionners and scholars in the field of business management. This will enhance a deeper knowledge about how better a management control would be if its essential tools are well integrated.
1.6 Scope and Limitation of the Study
The scope of this study is limited to the 2005 – 2010 budgeting periods of Nigerian Breweries Plc. The estimates of both revenue and expenditure of the above years will be examined. The process of budget preparation, control, management control, implementation and review will be covered by the study.
Limitation of the Study
The study is limited to Nigerian Breweries Plc. Kaduna and if they are applying the concepts of budgeting in their operations and how well. As the organization under consideration is a manufacturing firm having to contend with competition, we cannot justify the credibility of all information to be used for the study.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
Share a Comment
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. COMPENSATION MANAGEMENT AND EMPLOYEE’S PERFORMANCE IN PUBLIC SECTOR, NIGERIA (A CASE STUDY OF UNIVERSITY OF JOS)» Abstract Compensation is the reward workers receive for their service or contribution to the organisation. A literature reviewed showed that compensat...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 202 hits | Source: BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION
» ABSTRACT Company Values: An Evaluative Case Study on the Existence of Value Ambassadors in a Semi – State Organisation. The purpose of this stud...Continue Reading »
77 pages | 418 hits | Source: BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION
» ABSTRACT Impulse buying behaviour has received considerable attention from marketing practitioners and has been studied extensively from different dim...Continue Reading »
84 pages | 58 hits | Source: BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION
4. ANALYSIS OF CORPORATE LEADERSHIP AND EMPLOYEE EMPOWERMENT IN SELECTED NIGERIAN BANKS. (A STUDY OF DIAMOND BANK PLC, ECOBANK PLC, UNION BANK PLC, IN E...» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Leadership is a subject that has long excited interest among scholars and managers of men and res...Continue Reading »
85 pages | 865 hits | Source: BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION
5. INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS AS A STRATEGY FOR ENHANCING ORGANIZATIONAL PERFORMANCE IN PEUGEOT AUTOMOBILE NIGERIA LIMITED» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study Industrial relations which is the matter at stake is an integral part of management, it is pointl...Continue Reading »
66 pages | 149 hits | Source: BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION
6. THE EFFECT OF MARKETING COMMUNICATION ON CONSUMER BUYING BEHAVIOUR (A CASE STUDY OF NIGERIA BOTTLING COMPANY N.B.C PLC)» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION Most often marketing is associated with efforts of business firms selling their goods and services however, also many peo...Continue Reading »
41 pages | 186 hits | Source: BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION
7. ANALYSIS OF THE IMPACT OF EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATION IN INCREASING ORGANIZATIONAL PRODUCTIVITY A CASE STUDY OF NIGERIAN BREWERY PLC, AMAEKE, NGWO, ENUGU,...» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Communication is very important to the existence of human organization. The environment in which ...Continue Reading »
80 pages | 149 hits | Source: BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study Plant maintenance is the comprehensive management of machineries and fool in a factory. This coul...Continue Reading »
64 pages | 190 hits | Source: BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY In recent times, managers and management researchers have long believed that organizational goals...Continue Reading »
50 pages | 342 hits | Source: BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION
10. THE USE OF INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY AS A VERITABLE TOOL FOR TAX ADMINISTRATION (A CASE STUDY OF THE KADUNA STATE BOARD OF INTERNAL RE...» CHAPTER ONE 1.1 INTRODUCTION Information and communication technology is often used as an extended synonym for information technology(IT), but is a mo...Continue Reading »
83 pages | 568 hits | Source: BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION