Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 62 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
Building can be explained as a structural that provides shelter to lives and properties, it could be a school, church, shop, or factory that has roof, walls. A lot of building specifically in Port-Harcourt and Lagos state have collapsed and thereby causing a huge economic waste and lost of lives of people and properties.
Building failure can be defined as the collapse of structure, while building disaster gives evidence of a structural member being unsafe before the actual collapse. Building failure in a construction sector is an indispensable factor that must be considered with great care and skills (Field, 1986 pp 7).
From the experiment done so far by the researchers, it is being observed that building failed and superstructure failed. Bearing capacity failed due to high moisture content and differential excessive settlement.
However, investigation of structural failure in building is an extensive research work, a lot of laboratory test, observation and analysis, but for the purpose of this project, effort have been made to reduce the research on those aspect considered very relevant.
There are so many factors that could lead to failure in building and these failures have various modes with which they occur, it should be realised, however that errors are major causes of structural collapse and no matter how they are derived they are little help in preventing collapse resulting from them.
Some examples of structural collapse are as follows:
Terrorist attack, Pentagon, Washington DC 2001
Herron Road Bridge, Ottawa 1996
Terrorist Bombing, Murrah Federal Building, Owahoma City, 1995
Second narrow Bridge, Vancower 1958
Tank failure, Ashland oil co, Pitsburgh 1988
Quebec bridge (1907, 1916)
1.2 AREA OF STUDY
The research work took place in Port Harcourt Area of Rivers State which is in the capital city at plot 308 Abacha Road Rumueme, Port Harcourt Rivers State.
1.3 STATEMENT OF PROBLEMS
It is observed that plan review and performance standard are very important to everyone involved but most contractors and engineers have abandoned this practices.
The problems which has lead to failure are intended to be studied in this research are listed below.
i. The omission of some specification of critical element of building envelop by contractors in order to make out some profit from the contract. And also common building practices are generally into prevented building failure.
ii. Most contractors are not aware of specific details and methods required for difficult or severe indoor environment.
1.4 OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
The aim and objectives of the study are:
i. To find the causes of building failure in construction work.
ii. To know the extent which this has affected the people involved.
iii. To provide the means of controlling failures and its effects in construction work.
iv. To know the different types of failure.
1.5 SIGNIFICATION OF THE STUDY
Since structure is very important for living things, therefore; control of its failure will enhance the performance productivity and profitability in any organisation.
The research work will be of immense to the government, engineers and contractors and even the public.
1.6 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The research is on a case study of failure with more emphasis on its causes, effects and remedies with refrence to particular area of plot 308 Abacha Road Rumueme Port Harcourt in Rivers State.
However, this work has studied beyond the areas of specification and it also aimed at looking into the total collapse or failure on structure only with major concern on buildings in eastern part of Nigeria.
1.7 LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
Although this research has generally analysed the failures in building to ascertain its causes, effects and remedies but it wasn’t easy for some dreams of research work to be achieved.
Some of the limitations are as follows:
1. Lack of finance
2. Time given is limited
3. The problem of collecting information
4. Non availability of books and other materials
5. Lack of adequate statistical, date or numbers of buildings that has failed in Port Harcourt Area of Rivers State.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR BUILDING TECHNOLOGY FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» ABSTRACT The aim of this research was to identify and rank, according to relative importance, factors affecting high cost of labour in Nigerian buildi...Continue Reading »
2. ASSESSMENT OF THE MAINTENANCE OF FACILITIES IN BUILDING TECHNOLOGY WORKSHOPS IN TECHNICAL COLLEGES IN ZONE TWO KADUNA STATE» TABLE OF CONTENT Cover page Title page ...Continue Reading »
3. IMPACT OF PUBLIC PROCUREMENT SYSTEM ON CONTRACT PERFORMANCE OF PUBLIC BUILDING PROJECTS DURING IMPLEMENTATION» CHAPTER ONE: Introduction 1.1 Background of the Study Public procurement system has been utilised as an important tool for achieving economic, social,...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This work investigates the thermal properties of Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC), Plaster of Paris (POP), asbestos, and cardboard commonly used as c...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT The study explores the potential of biogas generation as an alternative source of energy for the University of Uyo. The research examines the...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT The research examined factors of effective maintenance management in the public sector. Data gathering and analysis involved personal intervi...Continue Reading »
7. THE INFLUENCE OF PUBLIC PROCUREMENT SYSTEM ON CONTRACT PERFORMANCE OF PUBLIC BUILDING PROJECTS DURING IMPLEMENTATION» ABSTRACT Public procurement system account for significant percentage of GDP and has a directimpact on Kenya economy. Indeed, the Nigerian government ...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This study on strength development of concrete quality and properties using oil palm fiber was carried out to enhance and improve the quality...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE 1.1 INTRODUCTION Protector design is the joining of metals of pipes of the same diameter. Sizes together in a compound pattern in order to...Continue Reading »
10. AN ASSESSMENT OF MUNICIPAL SOLID WASTE MANAGEMENT PRACTICES CASE STUDY: NYARUGENGE DISTRICT- RWANDA» ...Continue Reading »