Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
Ocimum gratissimum is a vegetable plant of wide nutritional and medicinal application in Nigeria and some other parts of the world. The aim of this study is to know the effect and efficacy of oral administration of methanol extract of Ocimum gratissimum on the level of oxidative and biochemical parameters of alloxan-induced diabetic rats. Leaves of Ocimum gratissimum were obtained and dried under room temperature, after drying, it was grind into powder and 320.64g soaked in 50ml of methanol for 72hours. After which it was filtered with a Whatsman (no 1) filter paper. The filtrate was concentrated using rotary evaporator at 37oC. A total of 20 male Wistar albino rats were grouped into the normal group, diabetic not treated, diabetic treated with gilbenclamide and the group treated with the leaf extract, they were all fed orally with the extract for 14days. All the rats were sacrificed and their blood was collected for assaying of biochemical parameters. Result of the study showed a significant (P>0.05) increase in the serum SOD activity compared with the normal control.Vitamin E was observed showing a significant (P>0.05) increase in the group treated with the extracts compared with diabetic untreated. The result also showed a significant (P<0.05) decrease in MDA level of test group compared with the diabetic untreated and a non-significant (P>0.05) increase was seen in the HDL level of the test group and also a significant (P<0.05) decrease was observed in the LDL level of the group treated with leaf extract. Data of the study suggests that the oral administration of the aqueous methanol leaf extract of Ocimum gratissimum may impair naturally generated oxidant/toxicant activity and hereby enhance specific activities of antioxidants in rats.
1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY
The use of Ocimum gratissimum leaf extract to treat Alloxan induced diabetic rat and its oxidative and biochemical parameter assessments.
In Nigeria, especially in the southern part there is a consumption of plants extracts people consume. They also consume a lot of vegetable in their native diet and some of these plants are believed to cure some aliments. Ocimum gratissimum is one of the many found to lower glycaemia in Type-1 diabetes.
Many components of food such as secondary plants metabolites have been seen to alter biological processes which may reduce the risk of some chronic diseases in human such as diabetes.
Diabetes mellitus has its complications especially diabetes conditions among infected people, Ocimum gratissimum uses against various aliments has gained widespread acceptance in developing as well as developed nations (kolewale et al,. 2011). Diabetes mellitus is an important chronic metabolic disorder of public health concern, it occurs either as a result of pancreatic defects in insulin secretion or the failure of the effectively utilize secreted insulin or both. Hyperglycemia is a common consequence of uncontrolled diabetes, which may over time lead to serious damage to vascular tissue, heart, eye nerve and kidney.
Plants with known and suspected therapeutic potencies have been longed used in the alternative and complementary medicine. Numerous scientific reports exist, describing the relatively low toxicity and effectiveness in selected plants in management of diabetes.
Numerous scientific report exists, descending the relatively low toxicity and effectiveness of selected plants in the management of diabetes. It is unfortunate that a large number of those studies were conducted using either normoglycermeia or animal models.
Inducing of diabetes using either >100mg/kg body weight of Alloxan into these animal models, with recent review showing that Alloxan was one of the most frequently used diabetogenic agent globally.
High dose of the chemical are cytotoxic to the pancreatic beta cells giving rise to insulin deficiency.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
The statement of the problem in this research work is that the efficacy of Ocimum gratissimum leaf extract through assaying of biochemical parameters of alloxan-induced diabetic rats.
VISION: To determine the effect Ocimum gratissimum methanol leaf extract has alloxan-induced diabetic rats through assaying of biochemical parameters.
ISSUE STATEMENT: Diabetes mellitus has become one of the prevailing health cases people face today, with no or little knowledge on how it can be controlled and managed, it could worsen beyond control and as far as oxidative damage is concerned, it would multiple the generation of free radicals.
METHODS: Apart from modern drugs that can be used to control and manage diabetes, the use of Ocimum gratissimum menthol leaf extract was employed in other to determine the effect on alloxan-induced diabetic rats through assaying of biochemical parameter.
1.3 AIMS AND OBJECTIVE
1.3.1 AIM OF THE STUDY
The aim of this study is to determine the effects of the methanol leaf extract of Ocimum gratissimum on the oxidative and biochemical parameter of alloxan –induced diabetic rats.
1.3.2 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
Specifically, the study sort to:
1 Determine the effects of the extract on MDA level
2 Determine the effects of the extract on lipid profile
3 Determine the effects of the extract on antioxidant enzyme activity.
Share a Comment
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR BIOCHEMISTRY FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» ABSTRACT The research focus on compensation policy as means of attracting and retaining employee, it present a conceptual and theoretical study of the...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 241 hits | Source: BIOCHEMISTRY
» ABSTRACT The antiviral activities of plant leaves extract of four species, were investigated. The extract were tested for antiviral activities on the ...Continue Reading »
50 pages | 221 hits | Source: BIOCHEMISTRY
3. ETHANOL LEAF EXTRACT OF Irvingia gabonensis O’Rorke Baill MITAGATES SODIUM ARSENITE-INDUCED NEPHROTOXICITY IN WISTAR ALBINO RATS» ABSTRACT The aim of this study was to investigate the effect of Irvingia gabonensis O’Rorke Baill ethanol leaf extract on kidney function in sodium ...Continue Reading »
80 pages | 130 hits | Source: BIOCHEMISTRY
» TABLE OF CONTENTS Title Page Cover Page Certification Dedication Acknowledgement Table of Contents Abstract List of Tables List of Figures CHAPTER ONE...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 121 hits | Source: BIOCHEMISTRY
5. INVESTIGATION OF THE PANCREATIC EFFECT OF BUCCHOLZIA CORICACEA FORMULATED DIET IN SUCROSE FED PREGNANT RATS AND THEIR OFFSPRING» ABSTRACT Several plants have been used in the treatment of various disorders without scientific basis. The present study examine the pancreatic effect...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 474 hits | Source: BIOCHEMISTRY
6. COMPARATIVE STUDY OF THE EFFECT OF Rauwolfia vomitoria ROOT-BARK EXTRACT ON SEX HORMONES IN MALE AND FEMALEALBINO WISTAR RATS» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY Plants have been considered as sources of medicinal agents, as it offers natural products useful for ...Continue Reading »
60 pages | 149 hits | Source: BIOCHEMISTRY
» ABSTRACT Work on production proximate and physicochemical analyses of fish flour produced from Tilapia, cat and stock fishes was investigated. The fis...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 358 hits | Source: BIOCHEMISTRY
8. COMPARATIVE STUDY OF THE ADSORPTION CAPACITIES OF CHEMICALLY AND MICROWAVE SYNTHESIZED ACTIVATED CARBON» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY Activated carbon, also widely known as activated charcoal or activated coal is a form of carbon which...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 79 hits | Source: BIOCHEMISTRY
» CHAPTER ONEINTRODUCTIONSweet potato (Ipomoea batatas) is an important food crop in the tropical and sub tropical countries and belongs to the family c...Continue Reading »
50 pages | 360 hits | Source: BIOCHEMISTRY
10. EFFECTS OF ETHANOL, METHANOL AND N-HEXANE LEAF AND FRUIT EXTRACTS OF Kigelia africana ON SOME OXIDATIVE AND BIOCHEMICAL PARAMETERS IN ALLOXAN-INDUCED ...» ABSTRACT Globally, the estimated incidence of diabetes and projection for the year 2030 as given by the International Diabetes Federation (IDF) is 350...Continue Reading »
50 pages | 256 hits | Source: BIOCHEMISTRY