Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
Crysophylum albidum oil was extracted from its seed. The percentage yield was 2.56%. The characterization of the oil showed showed that the refractive index is 1.487, peroxide value is 45.4mg/kg, iodine value is 50.76g, saponification value is 105.188, free fatty acids 47.46 and acid value is 94.92. The Punched Ager Diffusion Method was used to assay for the antimicrobial and anti fungal properties of the oil in the test isolate. The antimicrobial and anti fungal activity showed some inhibitory effects against test organisms; Staphylococcus aureus, E. coli, B. subfilis, C. albican and A. flavons, but non for S. pyogens. The minimum inhibitory concentration of these test organisms are as follows; Staphylococcus aureus 0.16, E. coli 0.06, B. subfilis 0.14, C. albican 2.50 and A. flavons 0.40.
The pharmacological screening confirmed the medical value of this plant oil and it established a good support for the sample in herbal medicine and as a base for the development of new drugs and phytomedicine.
Oil belongs to the body of lipids which is a broad group of naturally occurring hydrophobic molecules that contain carbon. They include fats, waxes, sterols, fats-soluble vitamins, etc. This is divided into saturated and unsaturated fatty acid. Saturated fatty acids are known as fats usually obtained from animals while oil belonging to the unsaturated group is usually gotten from plants.
Crysophyllum albidum (White Star Apple) is a plant grown in the mid-Africa particularly in Nigeria, Cameroon, etc. Crysophyllum albidum (G. Don) is a tropical edible fruit tree. It belongs to the family sapotaceae which has up to 800 species and make up almost half the order Ebernales. Okigbo and Okafor reported that a few species of Crysophyllum grow in the boarder regions between the forest and Savanna in Nigeria. The plants as reported by Bada, can be found in Nigeria, Cameroon, Cote d’ Ivoire, Uganda and Niger republic. The species is called different names depending on the locality. The table below shows some locality and names of the species.
SOME LOCALITIES AND THE SPECIE’S NAMES.
Chrysophyllum albidum (G.Don)
Flowering is usually from April to June. The flowers are sessile and occur in clusters in the leaf axils of the fruiting branch. The fruits are normally January to March but the fruit have been seen recently in November.
Fruiting branch of C. albidum
When ripe, the fruits are pale orange, edible, ovoid in shape and pointed at the apex. It is a berry with crescent shaped seeds. See the diagram below.
C. albidum Fruits with revealed seeds.
C. albidum fruit contains 8.8% protein, 17.1% oil, 21% sugar 11% starch . The fruits are generally eaten by both old and young people. C. albidum fruits have been reported to be the highest source of ascorbic acid, excellent source of vitamins, irons, flavour to diets and raw material to some manufacturing industries . C. albidum has been classified by Okafor  and Okigbo  as a wild uncultivated fruit tree which occurs naturally in the high forests or bushes and seldom planted as a fruit tree. Boys, girls and women generally pick C. albidum fruits from the wild forest for their consumption and sales. C. albidum fruit is a great source of economic empowerment to rural dwellers. This is because a fruit is sold at N5 (Five naira), N10 (Ten naira) depending on the size of the fruit. The anti-microbial effect of African star apple (C. albidum) belonging to the family sapotaceae is that the roots and leaves are used for medicinal purposes. The seeds are used for local games or discarded. The seeds of C. albidum are usually thrown away and no report has existed on the use of oils from non-utilized oil seeds for the treatment of wounds or as skin ointments.
OBJECTIVES OF THE RESEARCH
The objectives of this research work are;
1. To extract and characterize the oil obtained from C. albidum seed.
2. To determine the antifungal/antibacterial activity of C. albidum seed oil.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR BIOCHEMISTRY FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» ABSTRACT Calcium is the most important mineral in the body. The body needs calcium for normal functioning of nerves and muscles including the most imp...Continue Reading »
2. ANTI-HYPERLIPIDEMIC POTENTIAL OF VITEX DONIANAETHANOLEXTRACTS ON POLOXAMER 407 INDUCED HYPERLIPIDEMIC AND NORMAL RATS.» ABSTRACT Anti hyperlipidemic potential of extracts (aqueous, 70% methanol, 70% ethanol and 70%, acetone) of Vitexdoniana leaves, stem bark and root ba...Continue Reading »
3. EVALUATION OF INHIBITORY EFFECTS OF KHAYA SENEGALENSIS AND VERNONIA AMYGDALINA EXTRACTS AGAINST SOME BACTERIA ISOLATED FROM POULTRY DROPPINGS» ABSTRACT Recent studies have incriminated the use of antibiotics in poultry feeds to be associated with emergence of resistance among bacteria. The us...Continue Reading »
4. AMELIORATING ROLE OF N.P.K. FERTILIZER ON THE TOXIC EFFECTS OF Ni ON (SORGHUM) ROOT ANTIOXIDANT ENZYMES» ABSTRACT This study investigated the activities of superoxide dismutase (SOD), catalase (CAT), glutothione peroxidase (GP) and the level of malondiald...Continue Reading »
5. CONSUMPTION PATTERN AND EFFECT OF PROCESSING ON FATTY ACID PROFILE OF MILK FAT (MANSHANU) PRODUCED FROM MILK OF LOCAL COW BREEDS IN ZARIA» ABSTRACT The consumption pattern and effect of processing on fatty acid profile of milk fat (manshanu) produced from milk of local cow breeds (Bunaji,...Continue Reading »
6. A COMPARATIVE STUDY OF THE EFFECTIVENESS OF DISCUSSION VERSUS DEMONSTRATION ON STUDENTS ACHIEVEMENT AND RETENTION IN CHEMISTRY» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY Engagement in meaningful learning is a universal theme advanced in literature on student’s achi...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT The antiviral activities of plant leaves extract of four species, were investigated. The extract were tested for antiviral activities on the ...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This study evaluated the activity of antilipemic water extracts from leaves of Desmodium velutinum albino Wistar rats. Phytochemical analysis...Continue Reading »
9. ASSESSMENT OF THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN FOETAL HAEMOGLOBIN LEVELS, MARKERS OF TISSUE DESTRUCTION AND DISEASE SEVERITY IN INDIVIDUALS WITH SICKLE CELL ...» ABSTRACT Sickle cell Anaemia is a genetic disorder that leads to the production of Sickle haemoglobin, whichresults in abnormal functions of the red b...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT Work on production proximate and physicochemical analyses of fish flour produced from Tilapia, cat and stock fishes was investigated. The fis...Continue Reading »