Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
Crysophylum albidum oil was extracted from its seed. The percentage yield was 2.56%. The characterization of the oil showed showed that the refractive index is 1.487, peroxide value is 45.4mg/kg, iodine value is 50.76g, saponification value is 105.188, free fatty acids 47.46 and acid value is 94.92. The Punched Ager Diffusion Method was used to assay for the antimicrobial and anti fungal properties of the oil in the test isolate. The antimicrobial and anti fungal activity showed some inhibitory effects against test organisms; Staphylococcus aureus, E. coli, B. subfilis, C. albican and A. flavons, but non for S. pyogens. The minimum inhibitory concentration of these test organisms are as follows; Staphylococcus aureus 0.16, E. coli 0.06, B. subfilis 0.14, C. albican 2.50 and A. flavons 0.40.
The pharmacological screening confirmed the medical value of this plant oil and it established a good support for the sample in herbal medicine and as a base for the development of new drugs and phytomedicine.
Oil belongs to the body of lipids which is a broad group of naturally occurring hydrophobic molecules that contain carbon. They include fats, waxes, sterols, fats-soluble vitamins, etc. This is divided into saturated and unsaturated fatty acid. Saturated fatty acids are known as fats usually obtained from animals while oil belonging to the unsaturated group is usually gotten from plants.
Crysophyllum albidum (White Star Apple) is a plant grown in the mid-Africa particularly in Nigeria, Cameroon, etc. Crysophyllum albidum (G. Don) is a tropical edible fruit tree. It belongs to the family sapotaceae which has up to 800 species and make up almost half the order Ebernales. Okigbo and Okafor reported that a few species of Crysophyllum grow in the boarder regions between the forest and Savanna in Nigeria. The plants as reported by Bada, can be found in Nigeria, Cameroon, Cote d’ Ivoire, Uganda and Niger republic. The species is called different names depending on the locality. The table below shows some locality and names of the species.
SOME LOCALITIES AND THE SPECIE’S NAMES.
Chrysophyllum albidum (G.Don)
Flowering is usually from April to June. The flowers are sessile and occur in clusters in the leaf axils of the fruiting branch. The fruits are normally January to March but the fruit have been seen recently in November.
Fruiting branch of C. albidum
When ripe, the fruits are pale orange, edible, ovoid in shape and pointed at the apex. It is a berry with crescent shaped seeds. See the diagram below.
C. albidum Fruits with revealed seeds.
C. albidum fruit contains 8.8% protein, 17.1% oil, 21% sugar 11% starch . The fruits are generally eaten by both old and young people. C. albidum fruits have been reported to be the highest source of ascorbic acid, excellent source of vitamins, irons, flavour to diets and raw material to some manufacturing industries . C. albidum has been classified by Okafor  and Okigbo  as a wild uncultivated fruit tree which occurs naturally in the high forests or bushes and seldom planted as a fruit tree. Boys, girls and women generally pick C. albidum fruits from the wild forest for their consumption and sales. C. albidum fruit is a great source of economic empowerment to rural dwellers. This is because a fruit is sold at N5 (Five naira), N10 (Ten naira) depending on the size of the fruit. The anti-microbial effect of African star apple (C. albidum) belonging to the family sapotaceae is that the roots and leaves are used for medicinal purposes. The seeds are used for local games or discarded. The seeds of C. albidum are usually thrown away and no report has existed on the use of oils from non-utilized oil seeds for the treatment of wounds or as skin ointments.
OBJECTIVES OF THE RESEARCH
The objectives of this research work are;
1. To extract and characterize the oil obtained from C. albidum seed.
2. To determine the antifungal/antibacterial activity of C. albidum seed oil.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR BIOCHEMISTRY FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» INTRODUCTION 1.0 GENERAL INTRODUCTION Energy is a fundamental pillar of modern society as well as being an essential building block for socio economic...Continue Reading »
2. ETHANOL LEAF EXTRACT OF Irvingia gabonensis O’Rorke Baill MITAGATES SODIUM ARSENITE-INDUCED NEPHROTOXICITY IN WISTAR ALBINO RATS» ABSTRACT The aim of this study was to investigate the effect of Irvingia gabonensis O’Rorke Baill ethanol leaf extract on kidney function in sodium ...Continue Reading »
3. MODULATORY EFFECT OF ETHANOLIC LEAF EXTRACT OF SPHENOCENTRUM JOLLYANUM PIERRE (SPJ) ON LIVER FUNCTION AND HAEMATOLOGICAL INDICES OF CADMIUM CHLORIDE-I...» ABSTRACT The effect of ethanolic leaf extract of Sphenocentrum jollyanum pierre (SPJ) on liver function and hematological indices of cadmium chloride ...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY The presence of chemical constituents in plants is important for consuming as nutrition and treat...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT Calcium is the most important mineral in the body. The body needs calcium for normal functioning of nerves and muscles including the most imp...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT Kaka bitters like other bitters is claimed to possess a number of folkloric therapeutic effects including lipid lowering effects. However, th...Continue Reading »
7. ANTIMICROBIAL AND PHYTOCHEMICAL PROPERTIES OF YOUNGCOCOS NUCIFERA (COCONUT) WATER AND METHALONIC EDXTRACT OF THE YOUNGCOCOS NUCI» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION AND LITERATURE REVIEW 1.1 INTRODUCTION Medicinal plants represent a rich source of antimicrobials and many other drugs. T...Continue Reading »
8. EFFECT OF PROCESSING (TOASTING AND FERMENTATION) ON THE NUTRITIONAL VALUE OF SICKLE POD (Senna obtusifolia) SEEDS» ABSTRACT The effects of fermentation and toasting on the nutrients and antinutrients composition of Senna obtusifoliai seeds were investigated. Senna ...Continue Reading »
9. ASSESSEMENT OF INFANT AND YOUNG CHILD FEEDING PRACTICES AND NUTRITIONAL STATUS OF CHILDREN (0-23 MONTHS) IN FUNTUA LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA, KATSINA STAT...» ABSTRACT Appropriate feeding practices are essential for the nutrition, growth, development and survival of infants and young children.Assessment of i...Continue Reading »
10. COMBINED EFFECT OF ETHANOLIC EXTRACT OF GONGRONEMA LATIFOLIUM AND ALLIUM SATIVUM ON LIPID PROLIFE PARAMETERS ON STREPTOZOTOCIN INDUCED DIABETIC WISTAR...» TABLE OF CONTENT Title page i Cover page ii Certification iii Dedication iv Acknowledgment v Abstract vi Table of content vii CHAPTER ONE: INTRODUCTIO...Continue Reading »