Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
Crysophylum albidum oil was extracted from its seed. The percentage yield was 2.56%. The characterization of the oil showed showed that the refractive index is 1.487, peroxide value is 45.4mg/kg, iodine value is 50.76g, saponification value is 105.188, free fatty acids 47.46 and acid value is 94.92. The Punched Ager Diffusion Method was used to assay for the antimicrobial and anti fungal properties of the oil in the test isolate. The antimicrobial and anti fungal activity showed some inhibitory effects against test organisms; Staphylococcus aureus, E. coli, B. subfilis, C. albican and A. flavons, but non for S. pyogens. The minimum inhibitory concentration of these test organisms are as follows; Staphylococcus aureus 0.16, E. coli 0.06, B. subfilis 0.14, C. albican 2.50 and A. flavons 0.40.
The pharmacological screening confirmed the medical value of this plant oil and it established a good support for the sample in herbal medicine and as a base for the development of new drugs and phytomedicine.
Oil belongs to the body of lipids which is a broad group of naturally occurring hydrophobic molecules that contain carbon. They include fats, waxes, sterols, fats-soluble vitamins, etc. This is divided into saturated and unsaturated fatty acid. Saturated fatty acids are known as fats usually obtained from animals while oil belonging to the unsaturated group is usually gotten from plants.
Crysophyllum albidum (White Star Apple) is a plant grown in the mid-Africa particularly in Nigeria, Cameroon, etc. Crysophyllum albidum (G. Don) is a tropical edible fruit tree. It belongs to the family sapotaceae which has up to 800 species and make up almost half the order Ebernales. Okigbo and Okafor reported that a few species of Crysophyllum grow in the boarder regions between the forest and Savanna in Nigeria. The plants as reported by Bada, can be found in Nigeria, Cameroon, Cote d’ Ivoire, Uganda and Niger republic. The species is called different names depending on the locality. The table below shows some locality and names of the species.
SOME LOCALITIES AND THE SPECIE’S NAMES.
Chrysophyllum albidum (G.Don)
Flowering is usually from April to June. The flowers are sessile and occur in clusters in the leaf axils of the fruiting branch. The fruits are normally January to March but the fruit have been seen recently in November.
Fruiting branch of C. albidum
When ripe, the fruits are pale orange, edible, ovoid in shape and pointed at the apex. It is a berry with crescent shaped seeds. See the diagram below.
C. albidum Fruits with revealed seeds.
C. albidum fruit contains 8.8% protein, 17.1% oil, 21% sugar 11% starch . The fruits are generally eaten by both old and young people. C. albidum fruits have been reported to be the highest source of ascorbic acid, excellent source of vitamins, irons, flavour to diets and raw material to some manufacturing industries . C. albidum has been classified by Okafor  and Okigbo  as a wild uncultivated fruit tree which occurs naturally in the high forests or bushes and seldom planted as a fruit tree. Boys, girls and women generally pick C. albidum fruits from the wild forest for their consumption and sales. C. albidum fruit is a great source of economic empowerment to rural dwellers. This is because a fruit is sold at N5 (Five naira), N10 (Ten naira) depending on the size of the fruit. The anti-microbial effect of African star apple (C. albidum) belonging to the family sapotaceae is that the roots and leaves are used for medicinal purposes. The seeds are used for local games or discarded. The seeds of C. albidum are usually thrown away and no report has existed on the use of oils from non-utilized oil seeds for the treatment of wounds or as skin ointments.
OBJECTIVES OF THE RESEARCH
The objectives of this research work are;
1. To extract and characterize the oil obtained from C. albidum seed.
2. To determine the antifungal/antibacterial activity of C. albidum seed oil.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR BIOCHEMISTRY FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. EFFECT OF PROCESSING (TOASTING AND FERMENTATION) ON THE NUTRITIONAL VALUE OF SICKLE POD (Senna obtusifolia) SEEDS» ABSTRACT The effects of fermentation and toasting on the nutrients and antinutrients composition of Senna obtusifoliai seeds were investigated. Senna ...Continue Reading »
2. DETERMINATION OF PHYTIC ACID CONTENT, OXALATE CONTENT, TANNIN CONTENT AND CYANIDE CONTENT IN TEN EDIBLE SEEDS» ABSTRACT Antrinutitional factors re compounds which reduce the nutrient utilization or food intake of plant or plant products (seeds) used as human fo...Continue Reading »
3. COMPREHENSIVE THEORETICAL COMPARATIVE STUDY ON CUBIC AND MONOCLINIC LATTICE OF WO3 USING DFT AS IMPLEMENTED IN QUANTUM ESPRESSO» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION Tungsten (vi) oxide, also known as tungsten trioxide or tungsten analysis, W03 is a chemical com...Continue Reading »
4. EVALUATION OF ANTIBACTERIAL ACTIVITY OF METHANOLIC EXTRACT OF LEAF AND ROOT OF ZIZIPHUS LOTUS L ON MULTIDRUG RESISTANT BACTERIA» ABSTRACT Treatment of infectious disease is a major public health challenge due to the continual increase in drug resistance by microorganisms. Plants...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT Diabetes Mellitus (DM) and Thyroid Dysfunction (TD) are the two most common endocrinopathies seen in general population.Type 2 diabetes melli...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Diabetes mellitus is a syndrome of impaired carbohydrate, fat and protein metabolism caused by either lack of insulin secreti...Continue Reading »
» INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study Apple has being part of human diet and food supplement over the years. It’s considered as healthy food ...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION Starch can be obtained from cassava, sorghum, maize, sago and potatoes. But this project focused on the production of sta...Continue Reading »
9. ANTIDIARRHOEAL AND ANTIBACTERIAL ACTIVITIES OF METHANOLIC EXTRACTS AND FRACTIONS OF THE PULP AND SEED OF ZIZIPHUS MAURITIANA (CHINEE APPLE» ABSTRACT This study evaluated, the antidiarrhoeal and antibacterial activity of the methanolic extracts of seed and pulp of Ziziphus mauritania. The c...Continue Reading »
10. STUDY ON THE DESTABILIZATION OF LYSOZYME AND THE CHAPERONE-LIKE ACTIVITY OF ALPHA CRYSTALLIN FROM SOKOTO RED GOAT EYE LENS» ABSTRACT Destabilization of Lysozyme and chaperone like action of alpha crystallin isolated from goat’s eye lens was investigated at various tempera...Continue Reading »