Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 50 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
This research work on the impact of training and development of human resource as a critical factor in banking sector a case study of First bank of Nigerian plc main branch Enugu. The main objective of the study is to evaluate the effect of training and development of human resource in bank operation. The population of study which is the employees of First Bank of Nigeria plc main branch and as it stands is a total of 100, while the sample size is 80. During the research process the researcher collected data from two source the primary and the secondary source of data were gotten from questionnaires administered to the employee of First bank plc while secondary data were gotten from textbook, journals, publication and manual. In determining sample size, the researcher used yaro yamene formular. For determining sample size as quoted in Nigeria, n – N/1 + N (e)2 in the act to determine finding the techniques used was descriptive survey and descriptive analysis was based on answer to research quotation that were formulated. On the base of the above finding, the researcher recommended among others that First Bank of Nigeria plc main branch, Okpara Avenue Enugu should implement effectively and progressively any training plans or budget to ensure improvement in banking operation. The management should build good and mutual relationship with workers, so as to create a conducive working environment. In order to encourage workers to put in their best in what they do.
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Many years ago, the concept of training and development were misunderstood and not given full consideration in most Nigeria organization. Today the situation has change totally, such that many organization, business and non business organization has come to realize the need for training and development of employee as vital for organization development and operation.
Training and development has started since the existence of man, as the action of man is directed on what to do and when to do it. Just as a little child is trained on various ways of walking, standing and sitting, it is done in order to develop the child with skills to adapt to his environment. The above statement is applicable to an employee, in order to train him so as to be able to adapt to the environment and organization which he finds himself. With this, it is clear that every organization need to train its employee so that there will be improved growth and productivity. According to Abolo, E.M. (2000), Banking business in Nigeria started in 1892 by African Banking Corporation. The bank was taken over by now standard bank, now First Bank in 1894.
The two expatriate banks dominated the banking scene until 1933, when National bank of Nigeria was established. Many indigenous banks were established between 1929. But most of them failed due to probably, lack of training and development. Only three indigenous banks and the two foreign banks survived the period, by 1952, the first bank ordinance was introduced, it stipulated the minimum capital based and licensing for banks. The period that followed, 1952 to 1962 and 1970, there was no new banks establish in Nigeria, presumably because of the impact of regulations and the civil war (1967 – 1970).
The periods of 1959 – 1986 witnessed the era of regulation. The central bank of Nigeria was established in 1969 with the aim to promote and integrate the Nigeria financial system. The central bank of Nigeria encouraged the development of money and capital markets. It also encourages the banking industry. Other useful development within the period that affected human resource development in banks is:
a. The companies Decree (1968). Which made it mandatory for all companies in Nigeria, including banks to register locally and b subjected to Nigeria laws?
b. Indigenization Decree (19720, which introduced the system of deliberate Nigerianization.
c. The acquisition of controlling shares in the three big expatriate banks. The period 1986, to date is called the second Banking Boom Era, because of the rapidity with which banks were established due to deregulation of the economy. The government and private sector rely on bank for allocation of human resources. In 1986, banking industry had 12(twelve) merchant and 29(twenty-nine) commercial banks. By December 1990, there was 48(forty-eight) merchant banks and 58(fifty-eight) commercial banks apart from 5(five) development banks established in 1989. A unit banking system meant mainly for rural communities started springing up towards the end of 1990. As at may 1991, there were 120(0ne hundred and twenty) merchant and commercial banks excluding central bank of Nigeria, four development banks, people banks and community banks.
The federal savings bank was recently converted to what they call a whole “commercial banks” instead of being a development bank. The rapid growth within the industry and financial system as a whole has over stretched the management cadre of banks. It has created upliftment and promotion for many staff training and retraining to maintain a high level of competence within the industry.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
Before the establishment of central bank in 1959, training of Nigeria bankers was not taken serious by most banks. Especially the foreign oned banks. In every organization or sector all over the world, the management sets up the organizations goals and ways of achieving these goals (First Bank of Nigeria Plc). Is not exception Ejiofor (1981:248 – 249) states that for an organization to attain this goals effectively and efficiently. Workers are taken very important and necessary. And to keep and maintain these workers, they should be trained and developed, and also be familiarized with the new trend in existence.
Many organizations have not been able to identify the important of training and development. These questions were being asked by Rosenberger why some organization performs better than other? Why it is that organization or sectors has not been able to perform efficiently? Why is it that training and development is rarely considered necessary in some?
In giving answers to these questions, it is important to determine the following areas:
1. Identify potential training needs of job existing.
2. Identify individual performance level.
3. Identify post training performance with respect to the training and development objectives.
4. Identify the huge sum of money and other resource usually inputed into training of the employees of First Bank of Nigeria Plc.
The need to find solution to this problem can badly be over emphasized. It is so order to correct the impression that has been created into the mind. Executive who believe that there is no effect in investing fund in training and development of employees in the bank.
1.3 OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
Following the topic under discussion, the objective includes the following;
1. To determined influence of training and development of human resource on the operation of banks.
2. To help provide an opportunity and broad structure for the development of human resource technical and be behavioural skills in the bank.
3. To find out if staff of the banks see the training and development programme as motivation and means of job enrichment and satisfaction.
4. To determine the number of bank staff trained each year and how it affects their performance at work.
5. To evaluate worker performance before and after training courses.
6. To make recommendations where appropriate to the banks in other more meaningful, it human resource training and development.
7. To improve upon the quality of work and life in the bank.
8. To determine the problem banks encounter in carrying out training and development of its staff.
1.4 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
Looking on the topic of this study the aim at covering all the above mentioned objectives. The study the Enugu main branch of Nigerian Plc. The finding made in the research is not only beneficial to bank operation, but also beneficial to other organization in Nigerian in their training and development of human resource, which help improve individual worker performance and that of the entire company.
1.5 RESEARCH QUESTION
The research question formulated by the researcher for the purpose of this study includes the following:
1. How does training and development of human resource help in achieving banks goals?
2. What proportion of the staff is trained annually?
3. Did training and development of human resources have any influence on the level of performance of the banks?
4. What type of training and development of human programmes are available in the banks.
5. Did training and development of human resources have any effect on improving profitability of the banks?
1.6 RESEARCH HYPOTHESIS
As it is known in the actual sense that at the beginning of very research work is hypothesis. As it help the researcher to design and plan his enquiring, choose his method of data. Collection, make use of statistical tools of his choice to carry out the study effectively. Based on the study training and development of human resource as a critical factor in Bank operation study of First Bank of Nigeria Plc Main Branch, Okpara Avenue, Enugu.
Ho: Training and development doe not improve the level of job performance of the staff of the banks
Hi: Training and development does improve the level of job performance of the staff of the banks.
Ho: Training and development opportunities do not motivate workers.
Hi: Training and development opportunities do not motivate workers.
Ho: Training and development of human resources do not improve the profitability position of banks.
Hi: Training and development of human resource do improve the profitability position of banks.
1.7 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
For training and development of human resource to have effect on bank operation, its objectives, benefits and process must be dearly stated and understood for the benefit of those who are expected to gain from it. The study is expected to be of benefit to the following.
1. Banks in Nigeria: The study will help the management of the bank in Nigeria to improve the quality of the staff with particular reference to first bank plc, main branch Enugu.
2. Bank Customers: An improved banking service will help eliminate waste of time in the bank before attention is given to customers.
3. Nigeria Economy: The research work will help rebuild all battered economy.
4. Bank Staff: When bank realize the need for human resource training and development, their employee will have greater opportunity of being trained. It will help to develop and shape their future.
1.8 LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
Training and development is vital and significant to all organization both private and public sector. But this study is focusing on first bank of Nigeria plc main branch Okpara Avenue Enugu. Other imitations that affect this research work are:
1. TIME: the time given for the research work is so short that most time it clashes with lecture period, so this lead to the inability to get quality result.
2. FINANCE: is very important to every research work, as the information is not found in a particular place, the researcher need to transport him/her self to the place the information can be gotten. And this entails money.
3. QUALITY OF INFORMATION
Analysis of the work depends strongly on the quality of information gotten from the staff. After the administration questionnaire to the staff, they
Armstrong (2003) A hand book in personnel practice, London:
Egan page limited.
Ojemba, G. (2002). Human Resource Management, Enugu Nigeria
Iyke Ventures Production.
Chikwe, J.E. Emecheta, B.C Nwaibere, B.M (2009). Management an integrated Approach, Portharcourt Nigeria: Samag Stationary Limited.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR BANKING FINANCE FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study Secretaries are not born but made, although there are people with the potential of becoming good,...Continue Reading »
2. THE EFFECT OF INTERNAL CONTROLS ON REVENUE GENERATION: A CASE STUDY OF THE UNIVERSITY OF NAIROBI ENTERPRISE AND SERVICES LIMITED» CHAPTER ONEINTRODUCTION1.1 Background to the StudyThe rapidly changing economic and competitive environments, shifting customer demands and priorities...Continue Reading »
3. THE EFFECTS OF COMPUTERIZED ACCOUNTING SYSTEM ON THE PERFORMANCE OF BANKING INDUSTRY IN NIGERIA (STUDY OF SELECTED BANKS IN ENUGU METROPOLICS)» ABSTRACT The research topic of this study is “The Effect of Computerized Accounting System on the Performance of in Banking Industry – a s...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Banking institutions require adequate capital to function effectively. This can be explained from the Fact tha...Continue Reading »
5. THE IMPORTANCE OF DOCUMENTRY CREDIT OPERATION BY BANKS (A CASE STUDY OF OCEANIC BANK INTERNATIONAL PLC UGHELLI)» CHAPTER ONE 1.1 Man’s quest for knowledge and adventured have brought the different part of the world in contact with each other despite the del...Continue Reading »
6. THE IMPACT OF RECAPITALIZATION ON THE PERFORMANCE OF BANKS IN NIGERIA (a case study of Nigerian banks)» 1.0 CHAPTER ONE 1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY Banking reforms have been an ongoing phenomenon around the world right from the 1980s till date, but it is mor...Continue Reading »
7. EVALUATION OF FRAUD CONTROL MEASURES IN THE NIGERIAN BANKING SECTOR(A CASE STUDY OF CENTRAL BANK OF NIGERIA, KADUNA BRANCH)» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Over the years, irregularities have been the problems of commercial banks. The term irregular...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This study examines the current banking sector reforms and repositioning through recapitalization for competitive advantage with a particular...Continue Reading »
9. THE IMPACT OF INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY ON MODERN BANKING OPERATIONS IN NIGERIA A CASE STUDY OF TEN SELECTED UNITED BANK FOR AFRICA ...» ABSTRACT Information and communication Technology (ICT) has become a key element in every house hold, economic development and every areas of human en...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT The study was carried out to examine the effect of human resource function and performance of an organization using Stanbic IBCT Bank Plc. To...Continue Reading »