Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 65 pages long and it is in MS Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Questionnaire, Data Analysis,Abstract.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
1.1. BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
The rapid changes in business operations in contemporary times in the form of technological improvement require banks in Nigeria to serve their customers electronically. Traditionally, banks have been in the forefront of harnessing technology to improve their products and services. The banking industry and its environment in the 21st century is highly complex and competitive and therefore the need for information and communication technology to take centre stage in the operations of banks (Stevens, 2002).
Electronic banking is critical in the transformation drive of banks in areas such as products and services and how they are delivered to customers. Thus, it is seen as a valuable and powerful tool in the development, growth, promotion of innovation and enhancing competitiveness of banks (Gupta, 2008; Kamel, 2005). Given the significant role of electronic banking in the developmental drive of banks, information technology has been found to lead to improvement in business efficiency and service quality and hence attract customers as well as retain them (Kannabiran & Narayan, 2005).
According to Chang, (2003), Electronic banking contributes significantly to the distribution channels of banks such as automated teller machine (ATM), Phone –banking, Tele-banking, PC-banking and now internet banking (Chang, 2003). In addition, transfer of funds, viewing and checking savings account balances, paying mortgages, paying bills and purchasing financial instruments and certificates of deposits processes have improved significantly as a result of internet banking (Mohammed et al., 2009). This implies that, Electronic banking has resulted in efficiency in service delivery in the banking sector because customers can transact business from one side of the country to another and from both long and short distance.
Other scholars argued that, electronic banking has transformed traditional banking practices to the extent that it has been found to create a paradigm shift in marketing practices resulting in positive performance in the banking sector (Gonzalez, 2008; Maholtra & Singh, 2007). This shows that the delivery of efficient and quality service is facilitated by information technology. Similarly, Christopher et al. (2006) indicated that electronic banking provides an important channel to sell products and services of banks and is perceived to be a necessity for banks to be successful. Therefore, service quality and efficiency in the banking industry has increased tremendously worldwide in the world due to the integration of information technology into banking operation. The present study seeks to investigate the extent to which the electronic banking concept has impacted on customer satisfaction in Commercial Banks.
1.2. STATEMENT OF PROBLEM
All banks compete with each other to attract their customers in different ways through providing convenient, accessible and acceptable services or/and products to their customers. One of the most important of these services is the electronic services that have contributed significantly to increase the distance between costumers and the bank (Almazari and Siam, 2008).
E-banking was adopted by banks so as to improve their service delivery, decongest queues in the banking hall, enable customers withdraw cash 24/7, aid international payment and remittance, track personal banking transaction, request for online statement, or even transfer deposit to a third party account. Despite the effort of banks to ensure that customers reap the benefits of e-banking, the bank is met with complaints from customers as regards, malfunctioning Automated Teller Machines (ATMs), network downtime, online theft and fraud, non availability of financial service, payment of hidden cost of electronic banking like Short Message Services (SMS), for sending alert, mandatory acquisition of ATM cards, non acceptability of Nigerian cards for international transaction amongst others.
This study is aimed at finding out the reason why these problems occur and in most cases persist, and then to make recommendations based on the outcome of the study.
1.3. OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The general purpose of the study is to investigate the impact of electronic banking on customer satisfaction in Guarantee Trust bank plc. However, the study specifically seeks to:
- Identify the Electronic banking services offered by GTB and its usage by customers
- To determine the impact of electronic- banking services on Customer Value.
- Examine the impact of electronic banking on service delivery;
- Identify customers‟ level of satisfaction with service delivery given the introduction of electronic banking services.
- Identify the benefits to customers for using e- banking services.
- Identify the challenges facing effective implementation of electronic banking system in Nigeria
1.4. RESEARCH QUESTIONS/HYPOTHESIS
Based on the research objectives, the study will test the following questions:
1. What are the electronic banking products of Guaranty Trust Bank Nig Plc?
2. Has the introduction of e-banking significantly affected service delivery of Guaranty Trust Bank Nig Plc?
3. Has e-banking positively affected service delivery in Guaranty Trust Bank Nig Plc?
4. What are the possible solutions to e-banking challenges in Nigeria?
5. Given the usage of Electronic banking services, how satisfied are customers of the bank?
1.5. HYPOTHESIS TO BE TESTED
Based on the study problem, this study aims to test the following hypotheses:
H0: Electronic banking products and services have not significantly improved customers satisfaction
HA: Electronic banking products and services have significantly improved customers satisfaction
1.6. RELEVANCE/SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The introduction of electronic into the banking industry has affected service delivery in the service industry. Many banks are shifting gradually from the traditional way of banking and are gradually introducing electronic technologies into their service delivery.
The outcome of this study will be of immense benefit to the management of GTB Bank Nigeria Plc, since it will help identify most of the challenges faced by the banks as well as the complains table by the customers. Solutions will then be proffered on theses identified challenges. This will go a long way to help the bank achieve its stated objectives, and in the long run increase shareholder’s wealth. Furthermore, the study would enable banks executives and indeed the policy makers of the banks and financial institutions to be aware of electronic banking system as a product of electronic commerce with a view to making strategic decisions.
1.7. LIMITATIONS OF THE STUDY
There were some limitations during the study
- Respondents were too busy to read the questions properly and tick the answer just for the sake of completing the survey quickly so there is no guarantee that the data collected is 100% correct and hence while analyzing the researcher has considered level of significance.
- At most cases I had to ask respondents questions in local dialect
1.7 Organizational preview : A corporate profile Guarantee Trust Bank Plc at a glance
1.8 DEFINITION OF TERMS
Electronic banking:The definition of e-banking varies amongst researches partially because electronic banking refers to several types of services through which a bank’s customers can request information and carry out most retail banking services via computer, television or mobile phone (Lustsik, 2004).
Electronic banking can be defined as the provision of information or services by a bank to its customers, describes it as an electronic connection between bank and customer in order to prepare, manage and control financial transactions (Karjaluoto, 2002).
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR BANKING FINANCE FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.1 OVERVIEW OF THE STUDY It would be observed that, despite the presumed developments in the Nigerian economy, the count...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT It has been noted that the Nigeria economy has gone through series of transformation since independence. Her exchange rate determination has ...Continue Reading »
» TABLE OF CONTENTS Title page i Declaration ii Certification iii Dedication iv Acknowledgements v Table of contents vi List of Tables ix Abstract x CHA...Continue Reading »
4. THE IMPART OF ECONOMIC RECESSION ON THE BANKING INDUSTRY: A CASE STUDY OF OCEANIC BANK INTERNATIONAL PLC, UGHELLI» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY The banking industry has been under going several changes in Nigeria in recent years. These c...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY In today world we are totally living in a computerized world and we have lost the human element. ...Continue Reading »
6. TREASURY MANAGEMENT STRATEGIES AND CHALLENGES IN THE BANKING INDUSTRY (A COMPARATIVE ANALYSIS OF UNION AND UNITED BANK FOR AFRICA)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Treasury function emerged as a result of the sophistication of banks. After the recapitalization ...Continue Reading »
7. THE BANKING SECTOR AND CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY IN NIGERIA (A CASE STUDY OF FIRST BANK UYO, AKWA IBOM STATE)» ABSTRACT Corporate social responsibility is presently defined by the World Business Council of Sustainable Development as persistent commitment by bus...Continue Reading »
8. FACTORS AFFECTING COMPETITION IN THE COMMERCIAL BANKING INDUSTRY IN NIGERIA (A CASE STUDY OF UBA)» ABSTRACT The main objective of this study is to determine the factors that affect competition in commercial banks. Competition as a market situation w...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY In a typical banking sector the auditors duties will be concerned with many departments apart fro...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT The purpose of this study is to ascertain the impact of Information Technology on Banks. E –payment system in Nigeria banks. And the help t...Continue Reading »