Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 65 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
CHAPTER 1: INTRODUCTION
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Management activities in the business world are directed towards achieving an ample share of the industry and ultimately control of, if possible, the direction towards which the industry moves. Towards achieving this, various managerial techniques have to be put in place. The business world is highly competitive. Thus all businesses must strive towards putting in place, policies that would greatly increase sales volume while maintaining quality and the quality of service delivery.
This trend has been in existence for generations and would continue to be. It has been largely responsible for the various challenges facing captains of industry world-wide; the scramble to ensure that the various goods and services offered by them achieve the highest standard of quality and cost effectiveness. This becomes more critical in light of technological advances that have put before the customer, an array of goods of very high quality.
Every investor expects dividend from their investor, just as customers expect value for their money. Due to ever
increasing alternatives, it is pertinent for producers to ensure that qualitative and cost effective goods are produced in order to increase patronage and generate more income. These may however not be possible without a qualitative management technique; hence the adoption of Total Quality Management (TQM) becomes pertinent.
TQM became a source of unification of visions and ideas across the organization to ensure the successful execution of the mission, even though TQM at that time was a novel idea to the organization.
TQM as adopted by FIRST BANK Plccan be described as the navigational aid for the successful berthing of FIRST BANK Plcat the pinnacle of New Generation Banks in Nigeria.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
For a long time now, business institutions in Nigeria have been faced with various problems, top of which are mismanagement and lack of top quality goods. These problems resulted in for instance, the failure of many banks from the late 1980s into the early 1990s. Customers lost deposits many had worked all their lives for. Other sectors, like the manufacturing sectors have also been affected by the scourge of mismanagement and disregard for quality. Many of these organizations especially those in the banking industry reorganized themselves after the problems they faced during this period. But they also had to put structures in place to ensure that what caused their initial demise did not reoccur. One of the strategies adopted was Total Quality Management (TQM). The focus was now on the customer and what to do to satisfy them, rather than the ‘bottom line’. The adoption of TQM has gone a long way towards improving management processes and service delivery and has helped restore the confidence of the populace in the banking industry.
1.3 OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
The objective of the study is to:
First of all evaluate the impact of TQM in the Banking industry, using FIRST BANK Plc as a case study and to facilitate awareness of TQM in order to help managements of service organizations to focus on the nature and scale of quality service delivery.
Secondly to evaluate the merits of implementation of TQM and to assist management by offering advise on the desirability of the implementation of and ways of achieving the objectives of TQM.
Thirdly, to determine the contribution of employees towards the implementation of TQM and determine whether the merits justify the implementation of TQM.
And lastly make objective recommendation based on the findings of the investigation.
1.4. RESEARCH QUESTIONS
Ø What is the level of TQM in the Nigerian banking industry?
Ø What is the level of awareness of TQM in the management of the banking sector?
Ø What are the merits of implementation of TQM?
Ø What is the contribution of employees towards the implementation of TQM?
Ø Does TQM improve the scale of quality delivery?
Ø Is there a significant relationship between the application of TQM in FIRST BANK Plcand its market share, and customer satisfaction?
1.5. FORMULATION OF THE HYPOTHESES
The following hypotheses shall be tested in the course of the investigations:
Ho: There is no significant relationship between the application of TQM in FIRST BANK Plc employee productivity.
H1: There is a significant relationship between the application of TQM in FIRST BANK Plc employee productivity.
1.6. SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The primary objective of any business is to create and keep a customer. To this end, TQM can be defined as, “the processes, methods and systems that organizations use to delight customers and at the same time, help reduce costs, increase revenue and empower employees. These methods are not fixed in stone. They grow and develop with time” (MacDonald, J. 1993).
TQM is a relatively new management technique that has revolutionized business management and a return to
some of the most fundamental ideas of management effectiveness. It is a tool that should serve to enhance the profitability of an organization, with emphasis on total quality from the bottom to the top of management.
The significance of the adoption of TQM as observed by the researcher indicates improved performance by identifying Service Quality Indicators (SQIs) i.e. those things that ‘irritates’ customers and streamlining their operation in order to eliminate those ‘irritants’.
It is the intention of the researcher to highlight problems of service delivery in the banking industry and proffer solutions to these problems through the application of TQM. The researcher intends to create awareness about TQM, how it is being applied in the chosen organization, and its effects on customers and employees alike. The effect on staff welfare, motivation, promotion etc will also be highlighted. The researcher expects that the research work will aid in finding headway out of the scourge of mismanagement.
The researcher hopes the study shall serve as a useful tool for any organization that seeks to implement TQM.
1.7. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
The data to be to be used for the research shall be collected from Primary and Secondary sources. The primary sources are those that are collected from original sources, in this case, the staff and customers of the bank. The data shall be collected using questionnaires to be issued to a selected number of respondents who have a direct relationship with the bank. For convenience sakes, the researcher intends to give questionnaires to 60 respondents (30 customers irrespective of income level, and 30 employees cutting across all levels of management).
The secondary source of data comprises of ready-made information on the subject under study. These include journals, seminar materials, textbooks and the Internet.
2. SCOPE AND LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
Though relatively new, TQM as subject matter is very wide. For the purpose of this research, the study is restricted to FIRST BANK Plc. The researcher would have liked a
Share a Comment
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR BANKING FINANCE FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» ABSTRACT The Nigerian Banking sector over the years has been experiencing significant changes and development in its Information and Communication Tec...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 176 hits | Source: BANKING FINANCE
2. THE ROLE OF FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS IN EXPORT FINACNING IN NIGERIA FROM 2006 – 2012 (A CASE STUDY OF FIRST BANK OF NIGERIA PLC ONITSHA BRANCH)» CHAPTER ONE THE ROLE OF FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS IN EXPORT FINANCING IN NIGERIA INTRODUCTION: Financial institutions are organizations which deal basica...Continue Reading »
61 pages | 114 hits | Source: BANKING FINANCE
3. IMPACT OF PERSONNEL OUTSOURCING DECISION ON ORGANIZATIONAL PERFORMANCE OF BANK (A CASE STUDY OF STANBIC IBTC PLC)» ABSTRACT Organizations are more competitive these days .To maintain competitive position, Firms are developing new strategies and introducing new tech...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 197 hits | Source: BANKING FINANCE
4. THE IMPACT OF STRATEGIC PLANNING ON PERFORMANCE OF BANKS IN NIGERIA (A CASE STUDY OF ZENITH BANK OF NIGERIA PLC)» ABSTRACT Strategic planning cannot be over emphasized on discussing the performance of bank, most especially Zenith Bank of Nigeria plc: Strategic pla...Continue Reading »
39 pages | 253 hits | Source: BANKING FINANCE
» ACRONYMS BCC Branch Credit Committee BOD Board of Directors CAD Cash against Document CEO Chief Executive Officer CIC Credit Information Centre DLL Di...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 223 hits | Source: BANKING FINANCE
6. IMPACT OF SALES PROMOTION ON THE BUYING BEHAVIOUR OF CUSTOMER IN KADUNA STATE (A CASE STUDY OF KADUNA STATE MTN OFFICE)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the Study One of the primary objectives of every business is to increase the sale of its products in ord...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 309 hits | Source: BANKING FINANCE
7. RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN FINANCIAL RISK MANAGEMENT AND FINANCIAL PERFORMANCE OF COMMERCIAL BANKS IN KENYA» ABSTRACT Financial risk is inherent in every commercial bank, but commercial banks that embed the right financial risk management strategies into busi...Continue Reading »
57 pages | 61 hits | Source: BANKING FINANCE
8. THE IMPACT OF CORPORATE FINANCE SERVICES ON BANK’S PROFITABILITY (A CASE STUDY OF FIRST BANK OF NIGERIA PLC)» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION With the deregulation of the economy and the emergence of several government regulations, the traditional role of Univers...Continue Reading »
48 pages | 283 hits | Source: BANKING FINANCE
9. THE IMPACT OF RECAPITALIZATION ON THE PERFORMANCE OF BANKS IN NIGERIA (a case study of Nigerian banks)» 1.0 CHAPTER ONE 1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY Banking reforms have been an ongoing phenomenon around the world right from the 1980s till date, but it is mor...Continue Reading »
50 pages | 128 hits | Source: BANKING FINANCE
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background information In any profit oriented organization, employment relationship is seen as an exchange process where ...Continue Reading »
58 pages | 336 hits | Source: BANKING FINANCE