Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 63 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
1.1 INTRODUCTION: BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY
Information technology has already become the nervous system of banks the world wide. Banks all over the world realized that only those that overhaul the whole of their payment and services delivery systems and operations are likely to survive and prosper in this global world of technology. This is due to the pressure of globalization, consideration, deregulation and rapidly changing technology. In order to properly place themselves in favourably positions to be reckoned with in the new country, banks are making use of information technology (IT).
They realized that the banking industry requires more of electronic manipulation and shuffling of bits based money and other banking transaction instead of paper. In order words, paper-based transactions. Whether a bank would be successful or not, depends on the total to which it is investing in IT and using IT in an innovative manner. The reason for this is the fact that in the future, banking transactions would be conducted in a cyber space.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
Generally, the banking industry in Nigeria has witnessed an unprecedented growth in the past decade. Banks have expanded their branch networks at a very rapid rate and there are now far more employees, larger customers and staff databases, more robust computer system and generally high level of automation and computerization. In view of the expansions, the followings are enumerate by the researcher as the problems associated to the banks: -
a. Lack of integrated computer data base in the Nigerian banks.
b. Failure of banks to share ideas about new break though in IT world, they rather use it as a competitive advantage.
c. Incessant downtimes experienced by most banks
d. Too much reliance on external consultants for the maintenance of the systems and operations
1.3 OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
This work is aimed at analyzing THE CONTRIBUTIONS OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY IN THE OPERATIONS OF BANKS IN NIGERIA to compete favorably with the counterparts across the world.
The research would serves as frontier of knowledge to the bank staff, customers, investors and management about future of banks in relations to the new information techniques which facilitates the applications of banks products and services.
1.4 THE SCOPE OF THE STUDY
This research work focuses on the problems and prospects of IT in the banking sub-sector of the economy. With particular reference to First Bank of Nigeria Plc.
1.5 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The banking industry as an industry that touches the life of everybody, if not as an employee, then as one that benefits from its services. On the other hands, IT refers to the new technology of gathering, storing, manipulating and transferring information.
This study will be of use to the followings: -
It shall enable banks management to know the variants of IT available that would increase the efficiency of online real time banking operations.
Similarly, the research shall be of importance to bank staff, is it will add to their knowledge and experience about the prospect of applying new IT for to increase their productivity.
It shall also be of importance to the existing and prospective shareholders by enabling them to know how well the bank is doing before investing their wealth in it.
Lastly, the research shall provide frontier for further research on the re-engineering of the industry with the and of IT.
1.6 STATEMENT OF HYPOTHESIS
H1: Application of IT is responsible for increase in productivity of FBN Plc.
Ho: Application of IT is not responsible for increase in productivity of FBN Plc
H1: Application of IT affects the profitability of the Bank
Ho: Application of IT does not affects the profitability of the Bank
H1: Information Technology application improve customers satisfaction of the Bank.
Ho: Information Technology application does not improve customers satisfaction of the Bank.
1.7 PLAN OF THE STUDY
This project work is divided into five chapters.
Chapter one deals with background to the study, statement of the problems, objective of the study, significance of the study, scope of the study and definition of terms.
Chapter two is dedicated to literature review. It covers the legislations of banks, origin of bank in Nigeria, problem of IT in Nigerian bank and prospects of IT in the future of banks in Nigeria.
Chapter three deals with the research methodology, it discusses sources of data, method of data collections research methods, techniques of data analysis and justification of the method use.
Chapter four looks into the history of first bank of Nigeria Plc. the chapter further presents, analyses and interprets data collected for the study.
Chapter five covers summary, conclusion, recommendation, limitation of the study and areas for further study.
1.8 DEFINITIONS OF TERMS
- Information technology: Is the study or use of electronic process for storing information and making it available.
- Information: it consists of data that have been retrieved, processed, interpreted and understood by the end user.
- Internet: Is a computer system that allows millions of computer users around the world to exchange information.
- Automated teller machines (ATM: These are electronic terminals that allow banking almost anytime, to withdraw cash, make deposits or transfer cash/funds between accounts, of payment of utility bill and purchase of recharge cards.
- Smart of Cards: small sized pieces of plastic devices (measuring 85.6m x 53.98 x 0.76mm) with embedded integrated circuit and used as payment instruments for numerous financial schemes.
- E-Banking: Refers to trading electronically over electronic network through the network.
- Networking: A communication between individual computer systems which otherwise maintain a degree of autonomy.
- Online banking: This allows the access of the bank’s web, it gives room for transfers from one account to another and access the states of customers accounts from their door step.
Share a Comment
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR BANKING FINANCE FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.0 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Marketing concept is a customer oriented philosophy which states that customer’s satisfacti...Continue Reading »
65 pages | 102 hits | Source: BANKING FINANCE
2. THE EFFECT OF MOTIVATION INCENTIVE ON BANK EMPLOYEE (A case study of UBA, Yakubu Gowon Way, Kaduna Branch)» CHAPTER ONE: INTRODUCTION 1.0 INTRODUCTION Motivation on bank employee was established by the organisation (bank) with the aim to reset the healthy co...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 200 hits | Source: BANKING FINANCE
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY The banking system plays a fundamental role in the growth and development of any economy. In fact...Continue Reading »
50 pages | 270 hits | Source: BANKING FINANCE
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY A microfinance institution is a semi formal organization. It can be non government al or communit...Continue Reading »
53 pages | 284 hits | Source: BANKING FINANCE
» ABSTRACT This study examines the current banking sector reforms and repositioning through recapitalization for competitive advantage with a particular...Continue Reading »
69 pages | 348 hits | Source: BANKING FINANCE
6. THE ROLE OF FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS IN EXPORT FINACNING IN NIGERIA FROM 2006 – 2012 (A CASE STUDY OF FIRST BANK OF NIGERIA PLC ONITSHA BRANCH)» CHAPTER ONE THE ROLE OF FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS IN EXPORT FINANCING IN NIGERIA INTRODUCTION: Financial institutions are organizations which deal basica...Continue Reading »
61 pages | 114 hits | Source: BANKING FINANCE
7. AN EMPIRICAL STUDY OF THE ROLE OF COMMERCIAL BANKS IN SMALL SCALE ENTREPRENEURIAL DEVELOPMENT IN ENUGU STATE (CASE STUDY OF UBA AND UNION BANK OF NIG...» ABSTRACT The subject matter of this research work is to evaluate the extent to which Small Scale entrepreneurs in Enugu have been able to obtain loans...Continue Reading »
77 pages | 298 hits | Source: BANKING FINANCE
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Background to the Study Britannia Concise Encyclopedia (1995) defined Bank as a financial institution authorized to provide v...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 203 hits | Source: BANKING FINANCE
9. THE IMPACT OF CORPORATE FINANCE SERVICES ON BANK’S PROFITABILITY (A CASE STUDY OF FIRST BANK OF NIGERIA PLC)» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION With the deregulation of the economy and the emergence of several government regulations, the traditional role of Univers...Continue Reading »
48 pages | 283 hits | Source: BANKING FINANCE
10. AN EXAMINATION OF EFFECTIVENESS OF CORPORATE PLANNING IN MANAGEMENT PROCESS( A CASE STUDY OF DIAMOND BANK)» INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY The development of corporate planning in business is a post World War II Phenomenon. Before the period of the...Continue Reading »
68 pages | 334 hits | Source: BANKING FINANCE