Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 78 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
This section is aimed at giving a general introduction regarding the study. It discusses the background to the study and statement of the research problem. It also goes further in explaining the objectives of the Study, significance of the Study, as well as its Scope and Delimitations.
1.1 Background of the Study
There is no gain saying the fact that English has become an African Language. The language has become an invaluable legacy of the British which has provided African with yet another means of expressing their culture. Thus, English became the language of administration, law and legislative functions especially in Nigeria (Ker, 2002). In English language studies, literature is also featured as an important aspect for example; figures of speech in literature are also taught in English language. This goes to show that the English language is not devoid of literature.
Today in Nigeria, the English language has become so central in every sphere of life, that most people equate literacy and indeed education with the
ability to read and write in English language (Otagburuagu, 2002). Faloye and
Babatunde, (1991) similarly contained that:
….Since the advent of formal education, instructions in
all subject areas have been in English students are taught and tested in English. They are made to read in English and even think in English.
Emphatically speaking, literature in English is an integral part of the
English language. It cannot be separated because of the intricate nature of the
two fields of the study. In English language studies, literature-in-English is
necessary because it reflects the custom, the tradition and norms of the society.
A lot of researches have been done on the genres of literature like prose, drama
and poetry. Sequel to this fact, many students of English language abhor going
into poetry study.
This work is interested in finding out why students are scared of poetry.
Could it be that students shy away from studying poetry due to their
inefficiency in the use of English language? This could be a contributory factor
for students to study poetry effectively. Such a student needs to have a good
command of English language.
1.2 Statement of the Problem
Literature has constituted a dreadful phenomenon to some students of English language. They are either scared of the complex nature of the diction and styles or the task of reading through so many pages of a literature text. This observation must be largely responsible for the loss of interest in most general aspects of literature.
This is a very serious problem, because the reality in the field has led to a drastic fall in the standard of education in the country. Worse still, is the fact that most students of English language are scared of some aspects of literature like poetry and in somewhat the genres of literature. From the foregoing, the major problem of this research is finding out whether a student of English language needs the knowledge of literature or not?
1.3 Research Questions
The following research questions are found very necessary to direct the researcher towards the land of data to be collected which will be relevant to the topic:
1. Does the knowledge of literature-in-English affect the performance of students of English language in Usmanu Danfodiyo University, Sokoto?
2. Does the attitude of students towards literature affect their performance in English language?
3. How does decline in reading culture affect students of English language in Usmanu Danfodiyo University, Sokoto?
4. What are the reasons why students of English language avoid literature-in-English courses in Usmanu Danfodiyo University, Sokoto?
5. Can one fathom the background of English language students on their performance in literature-in-English?
1.4 Objectives of the Study
The nexus of this study is to survey the English language needs of literature-in-English in Usmanu University, Sokoto. Therefore, the objectives include the following:
1. To find out whether or not the literature aspect of English has an effect on the student’s performance in English language.
2. To know the reasons why students of English language abscond from
3. To find out whether the decline reading culture in the country is responsible for lack of interest in literature-in-English.
4. To find out the magnitude of literature-in-English for English language use in their study.
5. To find out whether or not the literature-in-English background of students of English language affects their performance
1.5 Scope and Delimitation
Literature is made up of three basic genres: Prose, Drama and Poetry. This study: The English language needs of literature-in-English with emphasis on poetry, however, it has been delimited to only the English language students of the Usmanu Danfodiyo University, Sokoto.
1.6 Significance of the Study
Since many students of English language in higher institutions generally lack interest in literature-in-English, it becomes imperative for the researcher to survey factors responsible for the negative attitude towards the subject. The result of the study could be significant for the following reasons:
1. The students of English language could realize the importance of literature-in-English.
2. The study could motivate further researches on the literature-in-English language students.
3. The attitude towards literature-in-English could improve the knowledge of it.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR ADULT EDUCATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. THE IMPACT OF MOTHER TONGUE ON CHILDREN’S LEARNING AT THE LOWER LEVEL OF PRIMARY EDUCATION (A CASE STUDY OF SOME SELECTED PRIMARY SCHOOLS IN SOKOTO ...» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the Study Mother tongue as the first language of instruction in schools is an essential tool in whatever fi...Continue Reading »
2. CAUSES AND EFFECTS OF BROKEN HOMES ON PRIMARY SCHOOL PUPIL IN KADUNA NORTH LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF KADUNA STATE» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION This project is principally conceived to the investigate cause and effect of broken home on academic performance of prima...Continue Reading »
3. DRUG ADDICTION AMONG THE YOUTH OF MUCHIA AND CHIKAJI LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF SABON GARI ZARIA KADUNA STATE» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study The twin problem of drug trafficking and abuse is a global phenomenon with serious threat to the ...Continue Reading »
4. MOTIVATIONAL INITIATIVES FOR CITIZENS’ PARTICIPATION IN COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT ACTIVITIES IN ANAMBRA AND IMO STATES OF NIGERIA» Abstract The main purpose of this study was to ascertain the extent to which motivational initiatives promote citizens’ participation in communi...Continue Reading »
5. A STUDY ON THE ENROLMENT AND COMPLETION PATTERN OF FEMALE ADULT LEARNERS ATTENDING ADULT LITERACY PROGRAMME (A CASE STUDY OF GORDON DUTSE WOMEN CENTRE...» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1. BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Literacy which involves the skills of teaching, writing, and learning, is the bedrock of a...Continue Reading »
6. THE ROLE OF ADULT EDUCATION PROGRAMMES IN POVERTY ALLEVIATION STRATEGIES IN EDO STATE (A CASE STUDY OF EGOR LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Background to the Study One of the most disturbing features of the world particularly the third world countries to which Nige...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY It has become increasingly common to hear life in the present age characterized in term of aliena...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT The aim of study undergraduates’ perception on courtship and its influence on pre marital sex is to examine the undergraduates’ p...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY The civil services as we have in Nigeria today has its origin in the administrative machinery cre...Continue Reading »
10. AN INVESTIGATIVE STUDY OF THE ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE OF SECONDARY SCHJOOL STUDENTS IN WASSCE AND NECO EXAMINATIONS IN OWO METROPOLIS» ABSTRACT This study examined the correlative difference between students academic performance between WASSCE and NECO examinations in Owo metropolis. ...Continue Reading »