Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 72 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
Wh-movement is a transformational process which causes the displacement of a wh-element from its base generated position to string initial position. This movement process is used to structurally change a wh-question. This study investigated the movement of wh-elements in question formation in Kọring. Kọring is a minority language spoken in parts of Ebonyi and Benue states. The data used in the analysis were collected from a series of fieldwork undertaken by the researcher. The data were analysed, using the minimalist framework of Chomsky (1993, 1995). It is found that both the LF wh-movement and the syntactic wh-movement are existing in question formation in Kọring. It is also found that the application of syntactic wh-movement in Kọring has its own parameter of insertion and movement of constituents.
CHAPTER ONE: INTRODUCTION
1.1 Background of the Study
Nigeria is a multi-ethnic and multi-lingual nation. It is estimated that there are over four hundred different ethnic groups in the country. Each group has its own language. However, only three languages – Hausa, Yoruba and Igbo- are regarded as the major languages in Nigeria. Consequently, the other remaining languages, including Kọring are classified as minor languages.
The Kọring language is spoken in some parts of Ebonyi and Benue states of Nigeria. It is said that Kọring is an endangered language (Anagbogu 2005:132). There are four Kọring speaking communities in Ebonyi State. These are made up of Okpoto, Effium, and Ntezi in Ishielu Local Government Area: and Amuda in Ohaukwu Local Government Area of the state. In Benue State, the language is spoken in Ọffịa and Ụtọnkọn, which are in Okpokwu Local Government Area (Ejiofor 2006; Anagbogu 2003). Ejiofor (2006) traces the origin of the Kọring to the Ukelle proto – language. Kọring belongs to the Upper-Cross group of the Delta-Cross sub-branch of the Cross River language family (Anagbogu 2005:132; cf Williamson and Blench 2003; Crozier and Blench 1992:118). Hence, this research is inspired by the need to subject the language to the modern form of syntactic analyses.
1.2 Area of Study
The Okpoto dialect of the Kọring language is chosen for the analysis of this research because it is the variety spoken by the researcher’s informants. Okpoto is a community in Ishielu Local Government Area of Ebonyi State. It is bounded to the north by Eziulo, to the east by Ntezi and Ezza, to the west by the Ebonyi River and to the south by Ohafia Agbo in Ezzakumoru. Okpoto is about fifteen kilometers from Abakaliki, occupying an area of about 259 square kilometers, and it has a population of about 28,000 (Anagbogu 2005:132).
i. Kọring is a minority language which has not been adequately studied. This prompted the researcher to investigate an aspect of Kọring grammar within the framework of the minimalist programme. This is to determine the extent the grammatical framework can account for the data used in this study.
ii. As a contribution to academic research in linguistics, the study is intended to show to what extent the data can be accommodated within the grammatical framework.
iii. It will help to create awareness on the existence of the language and consequently promote its use by the native speakers.
iv. The adult native speakers, who have been finding it difficult to make the language attractive to their children, will find this research as a helping tool. This is because the children, having read the work, will be inspired to embrace and embark on more researches on the language.
1.4 Scope of the Study
The study is limited to the Okpoto variety of Kọring. Okpoto is more easily accessible to the researcher because it is the variety spoken by the informants. The study is also restricted to simple wh-questions in Kọring. This is to enhance easy understanding of the analyzed data.
1.5 . Research Methodology
1.5.1 Data Collection
Many native speakers of the Okpoto variety of the Kọring language were consulted. They were given some simple sentences where wh-expressions are placed in-situ and where they (wh-expressions) are moved to Spec, Cp to translate and provide their glosses.
The informants were contacted several times. While some contacts were made in order to collect fresh data from them, others were made in order to verify already collected data. I met my principal informant, Mr. John Agbo in 2006 at Awka. One of my informants in the 2006 research on the genetic relation of the Kukelle language and the Kọring language, Mr. Pius Nnaka, told me that there are many Kọring families in the Awka metropolis. Hence, I found Mr. Agbo in my search for any native speaker of Kọring in Awka. He helped me then by making available, as many as necessary, his kinsmen. So, I found it easier to reach him and his kinsmen for this research. Virtually all my informants are adults who claim to have not been out of Kọring speaking areas for more than four consecutive months. Moreover, I tried to verify how reliable are the collected data by using them on different days, while they (my informants) rightly interpreted and glossed them as recorded, though with some difficulties as a result of my poor pronunciations of some of the data.
1.5.2 Data Analysis
Data comprising wh-in-situ and wh-movement in Kọring were collected by me from my informants and glossed by them (my informants). The versions of the data where wh-words or expressions are placed in-situ and where they are moved were compared. That was done in order to observe their differences, especially the movements of the wh-expressions. The data were then analyzed using the theory of the minimalist programme.
Since the 1980s and the 1990s, the GB Theory has been the major framework of the syntactic principles. Minimalism has arisen in the modern time to succeed the GB Theory (Napoli 1996:389). According to Napoli, “the source of the name for this theory is the theory’s goal: minimizing the syntactic apparatus needed to generate sentences”.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
Share a Comment
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR ACCOUNTING FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. AN ASSESSMENT OF INTERNAL AUDIT OPERATION IN A GOVERNMENT PRASTATAL: A CASESTUDY OF PIPELINES AND PRODUCT MARKETING COMPANY (PPMC)» ABSTRACT The main objective of the study was to assess the Internal Audit mechanisms put in place by the management of Pipelines and Product Marketing...Continue Reading »
89 pages | 82 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
2. THE IMPACT COSTING TECHNIQUES ON A PROFITABILITY OF A MANUFACTURING COMPANY (A CASE STUDY OF DANGOTE FLOUR MILLS PLC, CALABAR)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY The primary goal of a business concern, its production of goods and services and sell them in a p...Continue Reading »
66 pages | 413 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION The process of managing a business or an organization consists of the basic elements of planning, control and decision ma...Continue Reading »
50 pages | 435 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
» ABSTRACTS The quality assessment of borehole and well waters from ten locations in Enugu urban area were studied and compared with World Health Organi...Continue Reading »
118 pages | 218 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
5. THE ROLE OF RATIO ANALYSIS IN BUSINESS DECISIONS A CASE STUDY OF O. JACO BROS. ENT. (NIG.) LTD., ABA, ABIA STATE» ABSTRACT Accounting information provided by means of financial statements The income statement and the Balance Sheet are often in summarized form. Vie...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 168 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
» ABSTRACT Kid game is as old as man. The need arises when man needs to keep his children busy as to get fewer disturbance form them and to get them pos...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 417 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
7. THE EFFECT OF STOCK CONTROL PROFIT MAXIMISATION IN MANUFACTURING COMPANY (A STUDY OF NIGERIAN BOTTLING COMPANY LIMITED, KADUNA)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Stock is frozen cash and as such should be given the same if not more priority than liquid cash. ...Continue Reading »
90 pages | 160 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY. At independence, Nigeria joined the committee of nation with the hope for a better tomorrow....Continue Reading »
81 pages | 179 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
9. COST ACCOUNTING INFORMATION AND PRODUCT COSTING IN SELECTED PAINT MANUFACTURING COMPANIES PORT HARCOURT» CHAPTER 1: INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study The studies of modern cost accounting yield an insight into both the accountant and management rol...Continue Reading »
65 pages | 275 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
10. ADOPTION OF INTERNATIONAL FINANCIAL REPORTING STANDARDS ON THE QUALITY OF FINANCIAL STATEMENTS: A STUDY OF FIVE LISTED BANKS» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.0 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY The global practice of accounting is guided by sets of rules and regulations which are compilated...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 137 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING