Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
This study was carried out to investigate the importance of aste management to environmental sanitation on Igbara Local government area of Ekiti State of Nigeria. The local governments have recently adopted a dynamic approach to the issue of the environmental health problems through self help and self initiative. It is hoped that such as self initiative would go along way in minimizing cost, of health care delivery and make health practice real to the people, it is also assumed that such a programme would obviously have some significant influence on the physical psychological and sociological and economic growth and development of the community in which of operates. To investigate those assertion three hundred (300) people and fifteen (15) different areas in Ekiti State of the local sanitation taskforce in different area were used for the study. At best (20) respondents were randomly selected each of the sub-area for the data collection. The instruments used for the collection of data were questionnaires oral interview, documentary evidence and participant observation. The result of the study shows that a dynamic new programme has contributed sanitation indeed exists in Ekiti State. And it was found that the programme has contributed significantly towards the physical, psychological, sociological and economic development of the community. Based on the findings of the study it was recommended among other things that
1. Every community should emulate the urban experiment were by the environmental health care delivery is the responsibility of all the sundry.
2. Children of ender age should be involved in keeping their surrounding clear, in order to “catch them young” towards “health for all people”.
It is believed that God created man in his own image to be in control of the environment and make the best out of it as recorded in the bible (Gen 1:26-31). But man in his search for daily bread, quest for knowledge and materials wealth, has turned round to pollute the beautiful environment. From the earliest times man has been striving to control the environment. But as said earlier, man owns the health and life. That is why he found himself from the dragon headed problems he has caused himself in recent times. Environmental sanitation has become a topical subject at international, national state and local spheres. This is aim at initiating action to arrest the fast deteriorating environmental health status worldwide. In Nigeria, today the congestion of people in urban areas which is mainly as a result of rural urban migration the concentration of industrial establishment and share increase in population have made the control of the environment imperative and equally challenging.
To improve the general environmental sanitation of the major town in Nigeria has always constituted a big problem to both individual and government with the result that the town/cities are being strangulated by things generated by the inhabitant. The result of this condition is environmental pollution in all its ramification. The problems of pollution have also found its way into the political area and every community in every state has been confronted difficulties of his environment. To the man concern regarding pollution is the adverse effect exerted on the health of the people. The problems of poor sanitation and unhygienic behaviour among the majority of Nigerians are so serious that the federal military government had to come into check the situation towards achieving “health for all by the year 2010” as declared by the world health organization (WHO). Several strategies were mapped out and adopted by the federal government (the military regime in 1984 to achieve this objective. Consequently, the environmental sanitation programmes were mounted throughout the federation. This was followed by the establishment of the “task force on environmental sanitation” at both state and local levels to co0ordinate this elaborate programme.
The Ekiti state chapter was launched on 20th March 1984 by the then state military governor SANYA. This led to the appointment of captain JOSHUA AYODELE as the state chairman of the taskforce on environmental sanitation-the position he actively held till the task force was decentralized in October, 1988 this sanitation movement was backed up legally by edicts for Ekiti state it was captioned edict No 18 of 1984, which took effect from Monday April 2nd 1984. At the local government level too, environmental sanitation committees were appointed with members down from various walks of life. Serious sanitation were imposed on individuals public and private establishment or corporate bodies who fell short of the expected governments guidelines on environmental sanitation or health habits and practices. For instance, dirty filthy private premises dumping of refuse in unauthorized places. Urinating or defecating in public places were punishable by the fine ranging from N 100-1000, or punishment as the case may be.
Food hygiene, street trading, unauthorized parking of vehicles were also areas of concern which were also embedded in WAI “War Against Indiscipline” meant to inculcate in people correct healthful living habits, attitude and practices. Later, incentives were put and the programme became competitive in nature among the various state and local government areas of the federal republic of Nigeria. This effort was also aimed at identifying the nation with the cause of the world health organization which then declared June 1984 as the “World environmental Sanitation Day”- with War Against filthy environment as the theme. Because of the military nature of the implementation of the new environmental sanitation programme people responded accordingly, but not without close supervision. Consciously or unconsciously, most of our town and cities were given some face-lift for sometime. Health implication of their poor health habits and practices the motives of the environmental sanitation programme are often misunderstood to their “statuquo” when they are no longer closely supervised.
Infact, the problem of poor environmental sanitation and unhygienic behaviour among the majority of Nigerians have persisted despite the various sanctions or stringent measured taken by governments and other health agencies to enforce a change of attitude among the people. It is important to note too that all the while emphasis has been concern about the mass rural population or communities that contribute significantly to the urban populace, it then stands to reason to assert that the individuals home orientation would also be unconsciously exhibited in a new environment. Hence the neglect of the sanitation crusade at the grassroots level has made the sanitation efforts in most of our town and cities abortive.
STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEMS
The main concern of the study, therefore is to identify investigate and find out answer to the following sub problems.
1. The psychological impact of environmental sanitation on Igbara Odo LGA of Ekiti State.
2. The sociological influence on the people of Igbara Odo LGA by the environmental sanitation.
3. The influence of the waste mangement on the economic development of the community.
4. The influence of the Igbara Odo experiment on the physical development of the said community.
PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
The purpose of the study is to investigate the “MODUS OPERAND” of the Igbara Odo experiment with a view of identifying our alternative strategy for the lasting solution to our persisting environmental health problems towards achieving health for all by 2017 AD.
SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The “Igbara Odo experiment” is a unique venture in the recent time and in the history of environmental sanitation in the urban level. The result of the findings of the study would therefore be useful to not only the government but also to individuals, the public and the community. To the government, it could help in reviewing their former strategies with a view of achieving health for all at a low or no significant cost. The findings and recommendation may stimulate health challenges in other rural/urban community towards inculcating and maintaining health habits and practices thereby advancing lasting solution to the fast global environmental decay.
To the community, the study could be a source of motivation that could immortalize the initiative of the people and so this health practice part of the people so this health practice part of the people culture. The result of the investigation could also initiate further research in the health area, in the effort to establishing a more dynamic health culture for the world at large.
1. Does environmental sanitation programme through mass community have significant influence on the economic growth and development of the community?
2. Does environmental sanitation through mass community action have significant influence on the physical development of the community?
3. Does environment sanitation through mass community activity/development of local raw materials?
4. Does environmental sanitation through mass community action have significant influence on the psychological development of the people?
LIMITATIONS OF THE STUDY
As a result of the limited time allowed for this work and financial constraints, the research study was limited to Igbara Odo Local Government Area of Ekiti State. The usual defects of questionnaire such as incomplete return, inconsonant responses and responses aimed at pleasing the investigations are also necessary part of the limitation of study.
DEFINITION OF TERMS
In the course of this study certain operational technical terms were unavoidably used in the write-up to express some views. Those terms have however, been defined herefore the quick understanding.
1. Catch them young- The act of involving children of tender age in the sanitation activities-aimed at training them to group with good/correct health habits, attitude and practices.
2. Environmental sanitation-the control of all those factors in mans environmental which exercises or may exert a delicious effect on his physical development, health and survival.
3. Influence- The impact made by something through invisible or intangible means.
4. The mass-community Action-A joint cooperative and coordination venture involving all members of the community.
5. Mass-Mobilization-involvement of all able-bodies citizens in carrying out a programme.
6. Modus-operand-The manner by which an activity operated.
7. Pollution- Contamination or unfavourable change in physical, chemical or biological conditions in the environment, which exert may exert harmful effects on the quality of human life. Including effects on other animals, plants, industries as well as cultural and aesthetic assets.
8. Population- A group of individuals of the same species inhabiting in a specific area.
9. Status Quo- The original state of affairs/habits.
10. Task force- A temporary merging of units or individuals under once command with the purpose of accomplishing a specific mission or finding a solution to a particular problems.
World Health Organization (WHO) this is the greatest world health organization. It was formed in 1942. After the Second World War. It is an arm of the United Nation organization (UNO) and has its all-independent nations are members.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR ACCOUNTING FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. AN EVALUATION OF THE ROLE OF INTERNAL AUDITORS IN A CONSTRUCTION COMPANY [A CASE STUDY OF NALADO CONSTRUCTION COMPANY LIMITED, KADUNA]» CHAPTER ONE 1.1 INTRODUCTION Internal Audit Units are established in organizations in order to assist members of the Organization in the effective dis...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT Slangy expressions and catchy phrases are deliberately used in hip hop songs in order to reduce the degree of vulgarity in the content of the...Continue Reading »
3. APPRAISAL OF CREDIT CONTROL METHODS IN COMMERCIAL BANKS (A CASE STUDY OF FIRST BANK OF NIGERIA PLC,)» ABSTRACT The objective of this project work is to provide an insight on the method of credit control in commercial banks. The findings are based on th...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY There has been no single accepted definition of the term “fraud”. Fraud in whatever form is l...Continue Reading »
» Abstract This project work investigates the role of auditors in the detection of fraud in some business organization. In carrying out this research wo...Continue Reading »
6. EFFECT OF INTANGIBLE ASSETS ON VALUE REL EVANCE: EVIDENCE FROM LISTED MANUFACTURING FIRMS IN NIGERIA» ABSTRACT The increasing importance and role of intangible assets in today's economic environment is a source for concern for scholars and accounting p...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT The Kenya Revenue Authority was formed at a time when revenue collection was very low and the need to expand the tax base was necessary. KRA ...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study According to Black Law Dictionary, tax is a rateable portion of the produce of the property and l...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION: The process of managing a business or an organization consists of the basic elements of planning, control and decision makin...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY There have been significant progresses in the past years but more intensely during the last years aimed at the...Continue Reading »