Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 70 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY
Before the “Structural Adjustment Programme (SAP)” can be clearly defined, one must have a better understanding of the situation into which it was introduced. At the conclusion of a Debate/Symposium on “Devaluation” held in 1982 at the Institute of International Affairs, the consensus emerged that the economic problem of Nigeria was structural.
The intention of SAP is to adjust the structure of the Nigerian economy, but what is the structure of the economy and why does it need adjustment? The relevant dictionary meaning of the word “structure” is “the arrangement or interrelation of all part of a whole”.
At the summary of overall economic level which the economist call “The macro level”, the structure f the economy is its composition as seen through the shares or proportion of the various component parts or economic aggregated, in the total sum of goods and services produced in a period usually a year.
Therefore, the structure of the economy is shown by the shares of the various economic sectors in the Gross Domestic Product (GDP).
Just like any other theory, accountants have discovered that they need to make certain assumption before they can prepare financial statements. These
assumptions, which underline the preparation of financial statements, are also known as principles, postulates, conventions, concepts, and standards etc. The originate from such concepts as entity, going-concern, periodicity realisation, matching, consistency and historical cost concept.
They have been described as the basic points of agreement upon which the preparation of financial statement are based. They act as filters in the process of preparing financial statement and therefore assist immensely in selecting data to be processed and also indicating the processing method and thereby affecting the final result.
Accounting Principles are usually rules and conventions, which have been adopted as a general guide to action by the accountancy profession. These principles are formulated in such a way that the practical details of accounting may differ greatly from one company to another. To ensure acceptance, an accounting principle must be useful in coping with a practical recording problem, it must be reasonably objective, that is, provide a similar answer in the hands of qualified practitioners, and it must be feasible, that is, it should not be expensive to apply.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEMS
This research work tends to give an appraisal on the effect of the SAP on accounting principle. Exchange rate devaluation was considered a setback in the progress of the SAP. Therefore the under listed problem was discovered:
i. Over emphasis on the restoration of balance of payment
ii. Undermine the economy and limit its role for socio-economic intervention through a fixation on deregulation, privatisation and instability of the economy in the name of “free market”
iii. Exacerbate the disparities between rich the poor by facilitating income concentration by the wealthy and the exclusion of the poor from decisions and control over resources.
iv. Lack of transparency, accountability and public participation in their design and implementation.
v. Make many necessities inaccessible to local people as currency devaluations drastically reduce buying power in local wages.
1.3 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
This study aims to find out the objectives which include;
i. To find out how adopting a more just and equitable approach to resolving the debt crisis can restore the balance of payment
ii. To find out how to increase the role of socio-economic intervention through governmental control and stabilize the economy by eliminating free market trade through inflationary measures like naira devaluation.
iii. To determine what causes inequality in the distribution of income between the classes of individuals and why the poor are excluded from resources control and decisions.
iv. To find out why there is lack of transparency and accountability in SAP designs and implementations.
v. To evaluate on the inaccessible necessities of the rural migrants caused by currency devaluation which decreases the naira value?
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTION
This research attempts to find answers to some nudging questions about the Structural Adjustment Programme on Accounting Principles. This is with the view at highlighting some silent reasons responsible for the ineffective and failing performance of SAP.
Some of the questions to which we seek answers without any form of prevarication include:
i. Has the Structural Adjustment Programme in commercial sectors improved accounting performance?
ii. How does the Structural Adjustment Programme in accounting department of your company affect the profitability of financial report?
iii. Is there any significant relationship between Structural Adjustment Programme and Second tier Foreign Exchange Mar
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR ACCOUNTING FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» ABSTRACTThe impact of Computer to Nigeria Commercial Banks especially Union Banks Plc cannot be over emphasized. Many banks have realized the used of ...Continue Reading »
2. A STUDY OF THE ACCOUNTABILITY AND BUDGET IMPLEMENTATION IN NIGERIA (A CASE STUDY OF MINISTRY OF FINANCE, ENUGU)» ABSTRACT Basically, this research was undertaken to analyze the accountability and budget implementation in Nigeria (a case study of ministry of finan...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT The research work is carried out specifically to appreciate value Added Tax as an important source of revenue to the government in Nigeria an...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study According to Black Law Dictionary, tax is a rateable portion of the produce of the property and l...Continue Reading »
5. INVESTIGATING WEIBULL DISTRIBUTION MODEL IN ASSESSING THE BEST COMPARATIVE MODEL THAT FITS BREAST CANCER DATA IN CLINICAL RESEARCH.» CHAPTER ONE 1.1 INTRODUCTION Cancer is a potentially fatal disease caused mainly by environmental factors that mutate genes encoding critical cell reg...Continue Reading »
6. INVESTORS RELIANCE ON FINANCIAL STATEMENT (A CASE STUDY OF UNION BANK OF NIG. PLC, UROMI BRANCH EDO STATE)» CHAPTER ONE 1.1. BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY According to America Accounting Association, Accounting is the process of identifying, measuring, and communi...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.0 Introduction Data Mining (DM) really gained a lot of prominence in the society as it helped make prediction methodologies...Continue Reading »
8. INTERNAL AUDITING AND MANAGEMENT DECISION MAKING IN AN ORGANIZATION: A STUDY OF NESTLE NIGERIA PLC» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY Internal auditing is an independent, objective assurance and consulting activity designed to add ...Continue Reading »
9. THE USE OF SALES PROMOTION IN THE DISTRIBUTION OF DRUGS A CASE STUDY OF RHOKYN PHARMACY AND STORES» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.0 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY An organization can be viewed as successful if it can achieve its planned objectives and set goal...Continue Reading »
10. EFFECTIVENESS OF INVENTORY MANAGEMENT IN A MANUFACTURING COMPANY (A CASE STUDY OF AMA GREENFIEL...» ABSTRACT This study examines the essence of effective inventories control and management to manufacturing companies with particular emphasis on Ama Gr...Continue Reading »