Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 56 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
The purpose of this study was to find out the attitude of teachers towards the teaching of sex education in some selected schools in Oredo Local Government Area of Edo State. The research study was also aimed at ascertaining whether the attitude of teachers towards the teaching of sex education make the students to shy away from sex education or the teachers are shy to teach sex education to both boys and girls in the same classroom. In carrying out the study a questionnaire was administered to teachers. The data collected from teachers were analyzed and interpreted. Their responses were that sex education should be added to the secondary school curriculum and the attitude of teachers that teaching sex education should be moderate. And there should special teachers teaching sex education.
1.1 Background of the study
Numerous definitions and interpretations have been advanced by all sectors of human society without an agreeable definition. In this chapter, the researcher intends to have an over view of the terminology associated with sex before dealing with the scope of this study. The term sex goes beyond the realm of sex organs, instructions and act of sex organs as individuals are made to believe to make a breakthrough in the life of human relation among and between sex partners. Sex education is the instruction about sex and human sexuality. Sex is an important effect on the human life of an individual and almost everyone in the society including children wants to know about it. Traditionally, children are not supposed to receive information about sex at all. They many a time, learn about sex through their friends, books, television, pornographic films either from the magazines or internets and sex movies. Correct and factual information should be given to teenagers about the anatomic development in their bodies. During this period, the girls develop breast, pelvic borne broadens these starts at the age of eleven to twelve years and in the boys between fourteen to fifteen years. The sexual organs mature the widening of the chest and enlargement of the lynx which causes breaking of the voice. The teenager’s stage or periods are very crucial in the life of the individual. Many frustrations may occur during this stage such as school dropout, sexual immorality juvenile delinquency to mention but a few are all problems evolving from physical, social, cognitive and mental development. However, sex education has generally being masked in giggles and hush-hush silent matters. Children should be given adequate information’s about sex. Gone are the days when sexual matters were hidden from children. Questions posed by the teenagers should be answered by teachers to open a wide range of the communication because silence or lie telling may cause injury as they assume that the answers should be contrary to those books and peers. Sex desire can lead to sexual immorality which can result to pregnancy i.e. the process of procreation or reproduction most teenagers are physically able to have children but few are ready and responsibilities of marriage or parenthood most unmarried teenagers who do not have babies can be carried away by their sexual feelings and emotional desires. This can cause a serious sexual malady and the psychological problems for them. It can cause an abortion, sexual transmitted disease and so on. Sexual intercourse between two persons who are not married to each other is considered as a taboo to be generality of the society and morally wrong among religious groups. Sex relationship outside marriage can result in quilts feelings and other psychological problems for persons involved. It can also cause birth of unwanted children. Therefore sex education should be given at early development stage of the child because the foundation laid in the early life of the teenagers determines the stability and propensity of marriage life of an individual in the society. The provision of sex education is important because the norms guiding sexual act has been broken down by the increasing urbanization and the modernization of social norms. Sex education through parents, teachers or counselors and educators will not certainly be universal remedy to the social ills, but it will provide information for improving behavior, establishing personality in our society. This should be made known to teenagers of both sexes
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
The problem of this study therefore, is does the attitude of teachers towards the teaching of sex education in school have negative e effect on the learners? The researcher intends to find out the attitude of students towar5ds the teaching of sex education as well as the major problem that face the teaching of sex education such as, who should teach sex education to boys and girls? Where should sex education be taught? At what age should sex education be taught? Other problems include how much is to be taught and under what circumstances? And the need for it to be included in the curriculum.
1.3 OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
The objectives of the study are;
1. To ascertain the attitude of teachers towards sex education in secondary school
2. To ascertain whether sex education affect student academic performance
3. To ascertain whether students practice sex after teaching
4. To ascertain whether teachers shy from teaching sex education
1.4 RESEARCH HYPOTHESES
For the successful completion of the study, the following research hypotheses were formulated by the researcher;
H0: sex education does not affect student academic performance
H1: sex education does affect student academic performance
H02: teachers do not shy from teaching sex education
H2: teachers do shy from teaching sex education
1.5 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
It will give correct and factual information and understanding of students towards the teaching of sex education. It will enable teenagers to develop self respect and self control with due consideration developmental tasks of becoming responsible man and woman in future. It will enlighten our teenagers and prevent them from developing a sense of guilt, horror, disgust or fear of sex especially when they perform sex act of the right time for right purpose and with the right person.
1.6 SCOPE AND LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
The scope of the study covers the attitude of teachers towards the teaching of sex education in selected secondary school in Oredo local government of Edo state. The researcher encounters some constrain which limited the scope of the study;
a) AVAILABILITY OF RESEARCH MATERIAL: The research material available to the researcher is insufficient, thereby limiting the study
b) TIME: The time frame allocated to the study does not enhance wider coverage as the researcher has to combine other academic activities and examinations with the study.
c) Organizational privacy: Limited Access to the selected auditing firm makes it difficult to get all the necessary and required information concerning the activities
1.9 DEFINITION OF TERMS
Sex Education: Education for effective or hygienic living with understanding of human sexuality as an integral inseparable.
Sex Organs: This is a structure (organs) which is responsible for reproduction such as penis in male and vagina in female.
Sex: This refers to individual, male or female.
Abortion: This is the termination of pregnancy.
Teenagers: A person between the age of 11-18 years.
Pelvic: Hip bone
Menstruation: To discharge blood monthly from the uterus through the vagina.
Pregnancy: The stage of having baby developing inside her, that is female
Larynx: This is the breaking of male voice.
Pornographic: These are books or video that makes people feel sexually excited by showing naked people.
1.8 ORGANIZATION OF THE STUDY
This research work is organized in five chapters, for easy understanding, as follows
Chapter one is concern with the introduction, which consist of the (overview, of the study), historical background, statement of problem, objectives of the study, research hypotheses, significance of the study, scope and limitation of the study, definition of terms and historical background of the study. Chapter two highlights the theoretical framework on which the study is based, thus the review of related literature. Chapter three deals on the research design and methodology adopted in the study. Chapter four concentrate on the data collection and analysis and presentation of finding. Chapter five gives summary, conclusion, and recommendations made of the study
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
Share a Comment
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR ACCOUNTING FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY The imperative of planning with the help of accounting information before the commencement of ope...Continue Reading »
73 pages | 292 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
2. THE IMPACT OF FINANCIAL STATEMENT IN INVESTMENT DECISION. (A CASE STUDY OF CEMENT COMPANY OF NORTHERN NIGERIA SOKOTO).» CHAPTER ONE 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Corporate organizations owe a duty to fully disclose matters concerning their operations so as to aid investor...Continue Reading »
60 pages | 164 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
3. TRENDS IN THE ACTIVITIES OF THE MINISTRY OF AGRICULTURE AND RURAL DEVELOPMENT ANAMBRA STATE, NIGERIA, 1991-2013» ABSTRACT This study evaluated the impact of the extension services of Green River Project (GRP) on fish farmers in Niger Delta, Nigeria. Specifically,...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 120 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
4. RISK MANAGEMENT IN ACHIEVEMENT OF AN ORGANIZATIONS GOALS AND OBJECTIVE NIGERIA (A CASE STUDY OF UNION BANK)» ...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 312 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
5. THE RELEVANCE OF ACCOUNTING INFORMATION SYSTEM IN DECISION MAKING (A STUDY OF MINISTRY OF FINANCE, AKWA IBOM STATE)» ABSTRACT The aim of this research was to assess the relevance of Accounting Information system in Decision making using Ministry of Finance, Akwa Ibom...Continue Reading »
62 pages | 173 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY. At independence, Nigeria joined the committee of nation with the hope for a better tomorrow. We were...Continue Reading »
83 pages | 373 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
7. CHECKING DISTRESS IN THE NIGERIAN BANKING SECTOR THE ROLE OF ACCOUNTANTS AND AUDITORS (A Case Study Of First Bank Of Nigeria Plc, Awka)» Table Of Contents Title Page Approval Page Dedication Acknowledgement Proposal Table Of Contents Chapter One 1.0 Background To The Study 1.1 Introduct...Continue Reading »
68 pages | 236 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
» INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the study It is widely acknowledged that the accounting profession is an important facet of our society (Wyatt, 2004). ...Continue Reading »
55 pages | 366 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
9. EFFECTIVENESS OF INTERNAL AUDITING AND ITS CONTRIBUTIONS TO MANAGEMENT DECISION PROCESS IN AN ORGANIZATION» (A STUDY OF GEETA PLASTIC PRODUCTS NIGERIA LIMITED, LAGOS) ABSTRACT The aim of this study was to investigate the internal auditing and its contributio...Continue Reading »
62 pages | 312 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
10. CHALLENGES FACED BY STUDENT-TEACHERS IN TEACHING PRACTICE AND SOLUTIONS (CASE STUDY OF ENUGU STATE COLLEGE OF EDUCATION)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Education is a good instrument for the comprehensive development of the human beings where the whole ...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 137 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING