Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
1.1 Background of the Study
Some of the major functions of any government especially developing countries such as Nigeria are the provision of infrastructural service such as electricity, pipe-borne water, hospitals, schools, good roads and as well as ensuring rise in per capital, income, poverty alleviation etc. for these services to be adequately provided, government should have enough revenue to finance them. The task of financing these enormous responsibilities is one of the major problems facing the government. Base on the limited resources the government, there is need to carry the citizens governed along hence, the imposition of tax on all taxable individuals and companies to augment government financial position becomes imperative. To this end, government have always enacted various tax laws and reformed existing ones to stand the taste of time. They include: Income Tax Management Act (ITMA), Companies Income Tax Degree (CITD), Joint Tax Board (JTB) etc. All these are aimed at ensuring adherence to tax payment and discouraging tax evasion and avoidance. For the purpose of this study, the researcher would be concerned with the impact of taxation on Delta State Revenue, a case study.
1.2 Statement of the Problem
Nigerians regard payment of tax as a means where by government raise revenue for herself at the expense of their sweat.
It is good to note that no tax succeeds without the tax-payer’s co-operation. Here, we can have some thought-provoking questions such as, what makes tax such a difficult issue? Why do people feel cheated when it comes to tax? Is government making judicious use of tax payer’s money?
In view of these questions above, this study is going to be carried out to offer solution to those questions above. We shall also look at the following issues and offer recommendations.
The problems affecting the successful operation of tax system in Nigeria is how to determine the assessable income process of tax administration in Nigeria.
1.3 Objectives of the Study
The general objective of the study is to assess the contribution or impact of tax in the Delta State revenue.
However, the specific objective of the study includes:
i. To examine the relevance of tax in Delta State.
ii. To determine the extent government has been using revenue generated from tax.
iii. To examine how tax rate, affects the rate of investment in the economy.
Generally, the work is done to find out the impact of tax on government revenue whether tax constitutes the luck of government revenue and to erase the enormous exploration by government for their selfish interest.
1.4 Research Questions
To find answers to the problems of the study, the following research questions have been formulated.
i. How is taxation a source of revenue to the Government?
ii. To what extent does the revenue generated from tax affect the economic development in Delta State?
iii. What are the benefits of paying tax?
iv. What are the laws governing the payment of tax?
1.5 Significance of the Study
One of the most frequently discussed issues in Nigeria is how to solve the economic hardship in the country and how to create industrial bases that can be a guarantee for self-sustaining economic development. Also, one would wonder why a country which is richly endowed with the necessary human and material resources and which people pay tax has been turned a heavily indebted country.
The study will afford us the opportunity to know the roles taxation plays in Delta State. Such roles include:
i. Taxation is a major source of revenue to the government.
ii. Revenue generated from taxation enables government performs its function effectively.
iii. Taxation acts as an instrument for focal policy
iv. The study will in addition reveal if there are other better sources of government revenue or finding.
1.6 Scope of the Study
The scope of this study covers Taxation as a source of Revenue to the Government, a case study of Delta State Board of Internal Revenue. It will also analyse related issues such as structure and administrative machinery of taxation in Delta State and their associated problems.
The essence of this digression is to possibly find out the obstacle if any, that hinder the effective collection and administration of tax in the state.
1.7 Limitation of the Study
In view of the fact that there is limited time and some other constrains such as finance and material, the study is specially carried out in Delta State Board of Internal Revenue.
Due to limited time factor and finance available for use in order for easy data collection, thus research will be restricted in available time and finance.
1 Time Factor and Fund: The constraints of time and funds, the time required to complete this study is rather, short and the finance is sufficient because the researcher is compelled by the condition share is available time and finance between normal semester and the research work. Considering the finance fact of the constraints, the study seems to be rather expensive because of the research financial or fear of embarrassment and other negative actions.
2. Willingness of Respondent: The administration of the questionnaire is limited to willing or persuaded persons alone fall for a study of this nature.
3. Outdated Materials: Thirdly, there is still the constraint of lack of relevant data to carry out this work successfully.
1.8 Definition of Terms
i. Taxation: This is the process or system of raising income through the levying of various types of taxes.
ii. Tax: A tax is a compulsory levy imposed by a public authority on the income, profit, or wealth of an individual, family, community, co-operate or Inco-operated body.
iii. Fiscal Policy: This is the aspect of government policy that deals with the raising of revenue through taxes and other means and also with decision relating to level and pattern of government expenditure.
iv. Assessment: An assessment is the process ascertaining the taxable income of a tax payer.
v. Tax Avoidance: - It involves the use of loopholes in the prevailing tax laws to avoid the payment of tax. Its is not a criminal act.
vi. Tax Evasion: - It is done either making fraudulent and incorrect tax returns or not making any at all, true or untrue its is a criminal act.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR ACCOUNTING FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION The word “bad and doubtful debt” is used in the banking to refer to the portion of loans, advances and over drafts gr...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE: INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the Study With the advancement of information technology, computer is considered to be one of the most pow...Continue Reading »
3. THE IMPACT OF ACCOUNTING INFORMATION ON THE GROWTH OF SMALL AND MEDIUM BUSINESS (A STUDY OF SUPER PHONE NIGERIA LIMITED, UYO)» ABSTRACT The study was carried out to examine the impact of accounting information on the growth of small and medium business using Super Phone Nig. L...Continue Reading »
4. AUDITOR’S CONTRIBUTION TOWARDS EFFECTIVE MANAGEMENT OF BUSINESS ORGANIZATION. ( A CASE STUDY OF FIRST BANK PLC OZORO )» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study The crux of the project is to highlight the auditor contribution towards effective management of ...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study Effectiveness of financial reporting is one area in accounting that is recognized as the power ho...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT It has become a common practice in Nigeria for parties who intend to contract a statutory marriage to marry first under customary law before ...Continue Reading »
7. ANALYSIS OF FINANCIAL STATEMENTS AS AN AID TO MEANINGFUL INVESTMENT DECISION MAKING (A Case Study Of Investment Firms In Enugu State)» ABSTRACT The purpose of this research project was to find out how financial statement analysis service of our aid to meaning decision by investment fi...Continue Reading »
8. THE ROLE OF EXTERNAL AUDITOR IN ENSURING EFFECTIVE ACCOUNTABILITY (A CASE STUDY OF BETA GLASS PLC, UGHELLI)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study The importance of examine of the role of external auditors in ensuring effective accountability c...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT Leasing as a means of financing investments in tangible assets has made a significant contribution to capital formation in the Nigerian econo...Continue Reading »
10. THE EFFECT OF STAFF MOTIVATION ON WORKER’S PRODUCTIVITY. (A CASE STUDY OF BENUE STATE POLYTECHNIC, UGBOKOLO)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the Study Motivation has been a bottleneck before management in the past two centuries, due to constraints ...Continue Reading »