The Complete Project Research Material is averagely 66 pages long and is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters. Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References Level : BTech/BSc/BA/HND/ND.
Get the complete project »
In Nigeria, successive governments, since independence have set up autonomous organizations with legal independence and powers, having the initiative of private enterprises to carry on developmental activities of commercial or industrial nature. Thus, the emergence of Ahmadu Bello University teaching Hospitals with headquarters in Samaru Zaria is charged with the responsibility of accounting properly all financial activities undertaken by its management.
The need to institute both internal and external audit systems within organizations for efficient and effective financial monitoring, management and control was further necessitated by some prevalent economic pressure like the recession in the privatization and commercialization of most of government owned organizations, keen competition in the Nigerian business environment, the Structural Adjustment Programme (SAP), Industrial unrest and the renewed call by the government through War Against Indiscipline and Corruption (WAI-C) foir financial prudence, action and accountability by government functions.
Internal auditing is of fundamental importance as an effective means of ensuring the reliability of internal records for information and use, through proper internal control systems within an organization without which such records will present chaos and the whole system may fail to succeed for lack of orderliness, accuracy, reliability of information, safety of its assets and the general security of records.
Effective internal control is necessary to be able to determine whether all transactions have been reflected within accounting record. It is therefore, important to recognize that the auditor concerns himself with internal control throughout the clients organization and not merely within the finance and supplies department alone. He ought to understand the organizational operations as a whole, ascertain and evaluate the whole system of control operating within the organizations. An important aspect about controls is the fat that it has to be timely otherwise the whole exercise will be futile.
The internal auditor helps management to achieve organizational objectives effectively through his report. Such reports have to contain express opinion of the auditor on the areas he undertakes to audit. The nature and extent of the internal control system and internal auditing, appropriate to anyone organization is the management’s responsibility and depends on the organizations typology and geographical distribution.
The importance of internal control for internal audit purposes will be appreciated most in an organization like the Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospitals, whose activities are spread over various branches at different locations both within and outside Kaduna State.
1.1 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEMS
A problem represents an unhealthy organizational atmosphere or a puzzle a phenomenon, event or happening. Having defined a problem, an insight is given as to the major problems that could be said to bedevil the internal auditing and control systems in Ahamdu Bello University Teaching Hpsitals. As is the tradition with government parastatals and organizations, the Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospitals have some of its problems as follows:
1. Lack of a good system if financial monitoring and control.
2. Lack of sufficient audit staff and other professional services to aid and effective audit conduct.
3. Lack of sufficient transport, financing and suit accommodation.
4. Non issuance of internal audit reports prior to statutory audit thus increasing the audit fees and costs.
5. Insensituity of audit inspection reports and queries.
6. Loss of funds through misappropriation or abscondment of accounts staff.
1.2 OBJECTIVES OF THE RESEARCH
With the above list of problems and many others yet unmentioned bedeviling the internal control system of the Internal Auditor Department in A.B.U. Teaching Hospitals, it will be unfair if no step is taken even as effected by one’s academic pursuance to look at the problems and causes critically and suggest possible solutions that could improve the situation for the organizations continued effective existence.
In a nutshell, the aim of this study is to find a possible shorten and long term solutions to the problems thereby pacing the way for efficient operation in the organization in order to achieve the purposes for its existence.
1.3 SCOPE AND LIMITATIONS OF THE RESEARCH
Th study is limited to A.B.U. Teaching Hospitals activities, especially its internal audit system and financial dealings as it relates to the management of its financial resources.
The A.B.U. teaching Hospitals are selected as a sample to be studied for the fact that it is likely to offer free access to relevant financial and audit information and documents that will be required for this research. The study centres largely on the Internal Audit Department of the Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospitals, Headquarters in Samaru Zaria.
The Departmental functions as per responsibilities assigned to it by management which is mainly to operate within the broad areas of reviewing of accounting system and other related internal control, examinations of financial and operating information for management, review economic efficiency and effectiveness of operations, and implementation of organizational policies, plans and procedures. The external audit concerns itself with making necessary information available with express opinion to outside users to third parties.
As normal researches involving case studies of Government organizations in Nigeria, the issue of confidentiality really hindered the flow of necessary information for this write-up. Moreso, to somebody completely outside the organization like myself, the fear of leaking Governmental secrets due to the government secrecy acts and decrees, further aggravated lack of adequate materials for this work. Therefore, I had to rely on the materials that were made available to me by some personal friends in the organizational under discussion.
Finally, the issue of financial constraints also becomes an important factor that hindered the adequacy of resources (materials) on this write-up.
1.5 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
For the purpose of this project, both primary and secondary methods of data collection have been used. The primary was based on my personal interactions with my friends that are working there and the questioning techniques being used during my discussions with them any time I met some of them.
The secondary includes the accounting manuals of the organization and other relevant related audit files, other data used includes texts and journals that relate to the subject matter under discussion, and accounting data, lecture motes and all other relevant financial data necessary for this project write-up.
Share a Comment
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR ACCOUNTING FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» ABSTRACT This research study examines the Effect of Information Technology on the Efficiency of Tax Administration in Nigeria, a case Study of Enugu S...Continue Reading »
58 pages | 342 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
2. THE EFFECT OF VALUE ADDED TAX (VAT) ON CONSUMER’S STANDARD OF LIVING (A STUDY OF VAT OFFICE, UYO)» CHAPTER ONE GENERAL INTRODUCTION 1.1 INTRODUCTION Tax, the whole world over is a major source of revenue to the government. The major reason why gover...Continue Reading »
60 pages | 362 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
» CHAPTER ONE: INTRODUCTION 1.1 Introduction Corporate social responsibility (CSR) is a company’s commitment to operating in an economically, soci...Continue Reading »
47 pages | 134 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study To every nation, the existence of banking industry is inevitable. This necessitates the need for ...Continue Reading »
68 pages | 70 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
5. MULTINATIONAL CORPORATION AND TOTAL QUALITY MANAGEMENT A STUDY OF NIGERIAN BOTTLING COMPANY PLC NGWO ENUGU» ABSTRACT The total quality of management is a philosophy of management that is driven by the constant attainment of customer satisfaction through the ...Continue Reading »
87 pages | 18 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
6. BUDGETING AS AN INSTRUMENT OF ADMINISTRATIVE CONTROL OF PUBLIC AGENCIES IN NIGERIA (A STUDY OF MINISTRY OF FINANCE, UYO)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Budgeting and budgetary control will continue to play a significant role in public organizations ...Continue Reading »
82 pages | 223 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
7. AN INVESTIGATION ON RELIANCE OF AUDITOR’S INDEPENDENCE ON THE CREDIBILITY OF FINANCIAL REPORTING QUALITY OF CORPORATE ORGANIZATION (CASE STUDY OF FI...» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study The auditing profession performs a role in giving reasonable assurance to the public and users’...Continue Reading »
57 pages | 187 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
8. ASSESSMENT OF THE IMPACT OF TAXATION AS A TOOL FOR ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT OF NIGERIA (A STUDY OF FEDERAL INLAND REVENUE SERVICE, UYO)» TABLE OF CONTENTS Cover Page Title Page Certification Dedication Acknowledgment Abstract Table of Content Chapter One: Introduction 1.1 Background of ...Continue Reading »
56 pages | 170 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
9. IMPACT OF BUDGETING CONTROL ON PROFITABILITY OF AN ORGANIZATION WITH A PARTICULAR FOCUS ON SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS NIGERIA PLC.» ABSTRACT This study examined the impact of budgetary control on profitability of an organization. Thus, the importance of budgetary cannot be emphasiz...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 131 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
10. IMPACT OF TAXATION AND TAX INCENTIVES ON FOREIGN DIRECT INVESTMENT IN THE NIGERIAN CAPITAL MARKET» TABLE OF CONTENT Title Page i Declaration ii Certification iii Approval Page iv Dedication v Acknowledgement vi Table of Contents vii Abstract viii CH...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 69 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING