Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 66 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
In Nigeria, successive governments, since independence have set up autonomous organizations with legal independence and powers, having the initiative of private enterprises to carry on developmental activities of commercial or industrial nature. Thus, the emergence of Ahmadu Bello University teaching Hospitals with headquarters in Samaru Zaria is charged with the responsibility of accounting properly all financial activities undertaken by its management.
The need to institute both internal and external audit systems within organizations for efficient and effective financial monitoring, management and control was further necessitated by some prevalent economic pressure like the recession in the privatization and commercialization of most of government owned organizations, keen competition in the Nigerian business environment, the Structural Adjustment Programme (SAP), Industrial unrest and the renewed call by the government through War Against Indiscipline and Corruption (WAI-C) foir financial prudence, action and accountability by government functions.
Internal auditing is of fundamental importance as an effective means of ensuring the reliability of internal records for information and use, through proper internal control systems within an organization without which such records will present chaos and the whole system may fail to succeed for lack of orderliness, accuracy, reliability of information, safety of its assets and the general security of records.
Effective internal control is necessary to be able to determine whether all transactions have been reflected within accounting record. It is therefore, important to recognize that the auditor concerns himself with internal control throughout the clients organization and not merely within the finance and supplies department alone. He ought to understand the organizational operations as a whole, ascertain and evaluate the whole system of control operating within the organizations. An important aspect about controls is the fat that it has to be timely otherwise the whole exercise will be futile.
The internal auditor helps management to achieve organizational objectives effectively through his report. Such reports have to contain express opinion of the auditor on the areas he undertakes to audit. The nature and extent of the internal control system and internal auditing, appropriate to anyone organization is the management’s responsibility and depends on the organizations typology and geographical distribution.
The importance of internal control for internal audit purposes will be appreciated most in an organization like the Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospitals, whose activities are spread over various branches at different locations both within and outside Kaduna State.
1.1 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEMS
A problem represents an unhealthy organizational atmosphere or a puzzle a phenomenon, event or happening. Having defined a problem, an insight is given as to the major problems that could be said to bedevil the internal auditing and control systems in Ahamdu Bello University Teaching Hpsitals. As is the tradition with government parastatals and organizations, the Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospitals have some of its problems as follows:
1. Lack of a good system if financial monitoring and control.
2. Lack of sufficient audit staff and other professional services to aid and effective audit conduct.
3. Lack of sufficient transport, financing and suit accommodation.
4. Non issuance of internal audit reports prior to statutory audit thus increasing the audit fees and costs.
5. Insensituity of audit inspection reports and queries.
6. Loss of funds through misappropriation or abscondment of accounts staff.
1.2 OBJECTIVES OF THE RESEARCH
With the above list of problems and many others yet unmentioned bedeviling the internal control system of the Internal Auditor Department in A.B.U. Teaching Hospitals, it will be unfair if no step is taken even as effected by one’s academic pursuance to look at the problems and causes critically and suggest possible solutions that could improve the situation for the organizations continued effective existence.
In a nutshell, the aim of this study is to find a possible shorten and long term solutions to the problems thereby pacing the way for efficient operation in the organization in order to achieve the purposes for its existence.
1.3 SCOPE AND LIMITATIONS OF THE RESEARCH
Th study is limited to A.B.U. Teaching Hospitals activities, especially its internal audit system and financial dealings as it relates to the management of its financial resources.
The A.B.U. teaching Hospitals are selected as a sample to be studied for the fact that it is likely to offer free access to relevant financial and audit information and documents that will be required for this research. The study centres largely on the Internal Audit Department of the Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospitals, Headquarters in Samaru Zaria.
The Departmental functions as per responsibilities assigned to it by management which is mainly to operate within the broad areas of reviewing of accounting system and other related internal control, examinations of financial and operating information for management, review economic efficiency and effectiveness of operations, and implementation of organizational policies, plans and procedures. The external audit concerns itself with making necessary information available with express opinion to outside users to third parties.
As normal researches involving case studies of Government organizations in Nigeria, the issue of confidentiality really hindered the flow of necessary information for this write-up. Moreso, to somebody completely outside the organization like myself, the fear of leaking Governmental secrets due to the government secrecy acts and decrees, further aggravated lack of adequate materials for this work. Therefore, I had to rely on the materials that were made available to me by some personal friends in the organizational under discussion.
Finally, the issue of financial constraints also becomes an important factor that hindered the adequacy of resources (materials) on this write-up.
1.5 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
For the purpose of this project, both primary and secondary methods of data collection have been used. The primary was based on my personal interactions with my friends that are working there and the questioning techniques being used during my discussions with them any time I met some of them.
The secondary includes the accounting manuals of the organization and other relevant related audit files, other data used includes texts and journals that relate to the subject matter under discussion, and accounting data, lecture motes and all other relevant financial data necessary for this project write-up.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR ACCOUNTING FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY The concern for high productivity in industrial organizations is universal, and is the desire of ...Continue Reading »
2. THE IMPACT COSTING TECHNIQUES ON A PROFITABILITY OF A MANUFACTURING COMPANY (A CASE STUDY OF DANGOTE FLOUR MILLS PLC, CALABAR)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY The primary goal of a business concern, its production of goods and services and sell them in a p...Continue Reading »
3. EFFECT OF AUDIT COMMITTEE CHARACTERISTICS ON FINANCIAL REPORTING QUALITY OF LISTED DEPOSIT MONEY BANKS IN NIGERIA» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the Study Corporate financial report provides fundamental information to a wide range of groups; its main p...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT The topic of this project work on budget and budgetary control as a means of measuring organizational effectiveness in banking industries.One...Continue Reading »
5. THE EFFECTS OF CREDIT MANAGEMENT ON LIQUIDITY POSITION OF A MANUFACTURING COMPANY (A CASE STUDY OF NIGERIAN BREWERIES PLC, ENUGU STATE)» ABSTRACT This project is written in partial fulfillment of the requirement for the award of Higher National Diploma. Let me state that I was motivated...Continue Reading »
6. THE IMPACT OF TAX INCENTIVE ON ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT OF BUSINESS (A CASE STUDY OF BOARD OF INTERNAL REVENUE)» ABSTRACT The study was conducted to analyze practically the impact of tax incentive on economic development of business it was organized into five cha...Continue Reading »
7. INVESTIGATION INTO THE CAUSES OF TAX EVASION IN LAGOS STATE (A CASE STUDY OF SELECTED SMES IN IKEJA LGA)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study The concept of taxation has been a concern of global significance as it affects every economy irr...Continue Reading »
8. E-PROCUREMENT IMPLEMENTATION AND SUPPLY CHAIN INTEGRATION AMONG LARGE SCALE MANUFACTURING FIRMS IN NAIROBI, KENYA» ABSTRACT The purpose of this study was to establish the effect of e procurement implementation and business integration among large scale manufacturin...Continue Reading »
9. THE IMPACT OF ENTREPRENURSHIP ON ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT IN NIGERIA (A Case Study of Solat Manufacturing Company, Ibadan)» ABSTRACT The impact of entrepreneurship on economic development in Nigeria. This case study is to examine the effect of the impact of entrepreneurship...Continue Reading »
» Abstract Nigeria is a multi ethnic nation with cultural differences between its component ethnic groups. From the north to the coast, the range in typ...Continue Reading »