Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 67 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
1.1 Background to the Study
The industrialization and dynamism of modern administration has created a vacuum to be filled by qualified and competent auditors. Our country Nigeria has a large number of Local Government Areas with an established internal audit unit in operation. Therefore, carrying out a research on the local government council is essential since the project work intend to achieve by consideration the function and productivity of the internal audit system in Uyo Local Government Council of Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria.
Auditing is a system that links management and the actual field of administration (Onu-chukwu, 1985). Internal audit is an independent function of auditing records, appraising the procedures and organization of a business and reviewing the effectiveness financial stability of the system of the internal checks with the aim of establishing a systematic disciplined approach that will aid in the evaluation of and improvement of the effectiveness of risk management, control and governance processes. Primarily, the internal audit function is to provide independent assurance over the internal controls and risk management of the Local Government council.
The system of internal check, audit or control in force in any undertaking is very important to the internal auditor because his task is to satisfy himself that the system is kept up to an efficient standard and also keep the system abreast of changes as are required. Onu-chuku (1985), described internal control as an independent appraised function established within an organization to examine and evaluate its activities as a service to the organization.
Internal audit is concerned with the liability and adequacy of the accounting system through reliability and integrity of financial and operations information, effectiveness and efficiency of operation and material usage, compliance with laws, regulations, policies and procedures, adequacy and effectiveness of risk management frame work. The productivity of the internal audit system has to do with the extent to which the internal audit function has assessed and affected the administrative activity of the council.
1.2 Statement of the Problem
It is important to note that auditing is an exercise done in order to verify the accounting procedures undertaken by the audit bureau of Uyo Local Government council as the one obtainable in Uyo Local Government Council. Productivity can only be seen if a Local Government Council is well audited against financial misappropriation. In addition, auditing brings about sanity in an establishment. However, Uyo Local Government Council has been audited but a pertinent question arises: has the council been audited on regular or routine basis? If done are there accountability misappropriations discovered in the course of verification?
This study therefore wants to find to what extent the internal audit of Uyo Local Government Council been audited externally?
1.3 Objectives of the Study
1. To find out whether the internal audit of Uyo Local government Council is still functioning.
2. To appraise the contributions of the internal audit of Uyo Local Government Council toward the staff productivity.
3. To find out to which extent the internal audit unit of Uyo Local Government Council has been checked.
4. To identify the problems associated with the internal audit of Uyo Local Government Council.
1.4 Research Questions
The research questions formulated were:
1. What is the current functional status of Uyo Local Government Council?
2. How could we appraise the contributions of the internal audit unit of Uyo Local Government Council toward the staff productivity?
3. What extent the internal audit unit of Uyo Local Government Council has been checked?
4. What are the problems associated with the internal audit unit of Uyo Local Government Council?
1.5 Research Hypothesis
Research hypotheses were formulated in null and alternative statements.
Ho: There is no significant relationship between internal audit function and productivity in Local Government Council.
H1: There is significant relationship between internal audit function and productivity in Local Government Council.
Ho: There is no significant relationship between internet audit function and detection of error and fraud in Uyo Local Government Council.
H2: There is significant relationship between internal audit function and productivity in Local Government Council.
1.6 Significance of the Study
It may seem unbelievable to discover that many citizen of this country still lack of fundamental idea or knowledge of internal audit function and productivity. It is therefore the aim of this study to examine internal audit function and productivity. This study will enlighten the public on how to ascertain the concept of internal audit function and productivity in the company. The study will also provide critical information to government, companies at all level in their effort in managing internal auditors. However, the study will act as source of reference for further researches on this subject.
Specifically, the research will provide useful and meaningful insight into weakness in the current internal audit in the oil company and provide useful information for making changes in the implementation of audit function. The research will serve as a fuel of new reasoning and further research work in audit practice in the organization. The impact of the study on both accounting and auditing theory practice and standards could be tremendous. It is agreed by the researcher that the study shall be of immense benefits to the accounting students of higher institution, management of Uyo Local Government council and seasoned professional Accountants.
1.7 Scope of the Study
This study is intended to internal audit function and productivity in the. Local Government Areas using Uyo Local Government Council.
1.8 Limitation of the Study
1. Staff Reluctance: In most cases the staff of the used study often feels reluctance over providing required information required by the researcher. This result in finding information where the structured questionnaires could not point out.
2. Researcher’s Commitment: The researcher, being of full time student spent most of her time on other academic activities such as test, class work, assignment, examination etc which takes average focus from this study.
3. Inadequate Materials: Scarcity of material is also another hindrance. The researcher finds it difficult to long hands in several required material which could contribute immensely to the success of this research work.
4. Means of Transportation: At times, means of transportation in the geographically zone (Uyo) always delayed the researcher from meeting up with the personnel of the used study at their scheduled period of time.
1.9 Definition of Terms used in the Study
To enable readers and researchers have clear insight of this work terms are defined below:
Internal Audit: Is described as an independent objective assurance and consulting activity designed to add value and improve organizations operations. It helps an organization to accomplish its objectives by bringing a systematic disciplined approach to evaluate and improve the effectiveness of risk management control and governance processes.
According to Spice Pegier (1978), Audit may be seen as examination of the accounting books and vouchers of a business or other organization that will enable the auditor to report that in this opinion the balance sheet is properly drawn up so as to give a true and Fairview to the profit or loss for the financial period. Based on the meaningful information and explanation given to him and as shown by the book and if not to report in what respects is he not satisfied.
Accounting System: Royal Linlbery and Chon (1972) hold that accounting system is the total structure of record and procedures which discover record, classify and report information or on the financial position of a government unit or any funds balance account of a group and organizational components.
Chartered Accountant: Is a member of an institute of Chartered accountant. In Nigeria, the admission to such institute is dependent upon seeming a period of apprenticeship and passing an entrance examination.
Independent Auditor: This is a person who is independent of the governmental unit or agency where accounts are being audited.
Auditing Procedures: According to R. Glymme Williams (1974). He defined auditing procedures as acts to perform during the course of an examination. Auditing procedures are based on professional judgment applicable in the circumstances.
Audit technique: R. Glymm Williams (1974) defined audit technique as a method or details procedures essentials to express or execution in an art of science technique and procedures are classed related.
Auditing Standards: These are measuring devices or models to which the audit must perform.
Auditing: the Institute of Chartered Accountant in England and Wales defined auditing as
“the independent examination and investigation of the books, accounts and vouchers of a business with a view of enabling the auditor to report whether the balance sheet and profit and loss account are properly drawn up so as to show a true and fair view of the state of affairs and the profit and loss of the business according to the best of the information and explanation obtained by the auditor”.
Productivity: According to Mali (2006) productivity is defined as the measure of how well resources are brought together in organization and utilized for accomplishing a set of results. Productivity is reaching the highest level of performance with the least expenditure of resources. It is the effective user of the factors of production to produce goods and services that means productivity is the output resulting from a given resources input in a given time.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR ACCOUNTING FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» Abstract The study determines and establishes the connection between internal auditing and internal control systems on financial performance in an Ins...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE Introduction The important of land as the most basis requirement for all human activities cannot be over emphasized. In Nigeria before the...Continue Reading »
3. A CRITICAL APPRAISAL OF ENVIRONMENTAL ACCOUNTING PRACTICES AND REGULATIONS IN NIGERIA ECONOMY (A CASE STUDY OF NIGER MILL CALABAR)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY The need for environmental accounting has become the concern and focus of nations and responsible...Continue Reading »
4. MANAGERIAL ACCOUNTING: THE ROLE AND IMPORTANCE IN DECISION MAKING IN AN ORGANIZATION (A CASE STUDY OF VITA FOAM PLC, SAPELE)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study There is no accurate account when accounting stared. However, available information showed that, ...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Value Added Tax (VAT) was introduced in Nigeria by the report of a study group set up by the fede...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY The Economic and Financial Crime Commission EFCC is a Nigerian law enforcement agency that invest...Continue Reading »
7. UNEMPLOYMENT PROBLEMS AMONGST GRADUATES OF HIGHER INSTITUTIONS (A CASE STUDY OF ENUGU METROPOLIS)» ABSTRACT In this research, it is assumed that unemployment is a factor inherent in the nation’s economic system, first because intentionally or ...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This paper examines the effect of exchange rate fluctuations on the Nigerian manufacturing sector during a twenty five (25) years period (198...Continue Reading »
9. BUDGETING AS AN INSTRUMENT OF INTERNAL CONTROL IN A MANUFACTURING ORGANIZATION (A CASE STUDY OF ETERNIT LIMITED DELTA)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study The business environment is characteristics by a lot of uncertainties ranging from factors like e...Continue Reading »
10. PUBLIC POLICY IMPLEMENTATION IN NIGERIA AND ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT (A STUDY OF THE NATIONAL POLICY ON POPULATION 1999-2007)» ABSTRACT A study of Public Policy under Olusegun Obasanjo Administration, A study of National policy on population for sustainable south Eastern Niger...Continue Reading »