Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 61 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
This research paper fraud detection and control in payroll department the aim of conducting this research work is to investigate into the causes of alarming rate of fraud and its control in our payroll of our various ministries. Identify the effects and suggest possible solution towards achieving fraud free in our organization payroll. In other words, the aim of the study is also ascertain, investigate and highlight the reason for frauds in payroll department and the organization in generally. How can it be detected checked and controlled? An investigation and the analysis of the data collected the following problems were identified. Using of incompetent staff to carry out the job require in the payroll, absence of good internal control and internal check employing of dishonesty staff or cooks in payroll section, non – motivation of staff. Further more because of the ghost workers exercise done by the Enugu state government in the ministries and department is one of the thing that inspired me to carryout this investigation on how fraud can be controlled or at least reduced to the lowest base minimum, but in the case the introduction of variation control is one of the check.
1.1 Background of the study
In recent times fraud in ministries dominates front page of our Newspapers, radio announcements and television announcements. This fact is indisputable in the minds of the readers, listeners and observers. These fraud stories should be on a matter of greater concern to a patriot worthy of the name. The deeper study and increased analytical approach to ghost workers had led to an over growing realization of the frauds and control in the ministries and autonomous departments and the influence on the success or other wish of government of Nigeria. According to the research made, it is the impact fraud has on government revenue, big organization, banks, ministries etc. that led into writing this topic. Furthermore, the ghost workers exercise by the Enugu state government in the ministries and autonomous department in 1995 and the introduction of various control that inspired to carryout this survey and investigation on how fraud can be controlled to at least be reduced to the lowest bares minimum. According to the oxford advance learners Dictionary of current English, the word fraud simple means criminal deception. Perhaps the meaning and explanation which consider more is the definition offered in Hamlyn Encyclopedia world dictionary. According to this great master dictionary, the word fraud means deceits, trickery, sharp practice or breach of confidence, by which it stands to gain more some unfair or dishonest advantages over others. In other words on these definition put forward above, it means that the act exhibited by someone which is pursed towards gaining under and non – meritorious credits at the detriment of the right beneficiary construct an act of fraud is never committed, unless the intention of the perpetrator was present the time the execution of the dubious plan. Therefore any alleged fraud which does not meet this test must be construed and interested as aiding and betting fraud.Another definition of fraud by the college dictionary of the Random house if simply “a deceit, trackery or breach of confidence use by one person to gain unfair and dishonest advantage over others.
This two definition rather appropriate and adequate for this project because they contain the main element of fraud, which include the following:
1. There must be decent, trickery or breach of confidence.
2. There must be unfair and dishonest advantage based on the concept of one man’s loss is another man’s gain.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
The recently reported waves of fraud in the ministries is to say the least, very unfortunate frauds, no doubt are being perpetuated in various sub – sectors of the economy but those committed in government organization going by previous and recent reports, are most disconcerting. A situation as we are experiencing now where incessant care of frauds of the ministries payroll are being reported which could not immediately check erode our future economy. Fraud has continued to cause untold hardship to our people collectively and individually. To capture all fraud has significantly contributed to what is happening in the ministries and departments lapses in the government of Enugu state.
Frauds which may be discovered in payroll department include:
i. Salary defalcation
ii. Over easting of salary sheet
iii. Inflation of figure
iv. Dummy names or non existence expenses.
v. Preparing of supplementary voucher.
In effect of this problems posed by fraud in almost every payroll system in Nigerian organization that gave the researcher the impetus to go into research to investigate and find out the rationale behind these frauds in payroll. How they are detected checked and control. In recognition of the above facts, the type of frauds committed and other possible effects of frauds in the payroll system. The researcher also hopes to make useful recommendations and suggestions that will help completely to a large extent eliminate fraud in ministries payroll.
1.3 OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
Fraud in payroll system in most Nigeria organization is comparatively high and this has disturbed the growth and development of certain organization. The main aim of the study is to ascertain the reasons for fraud in payroll, how they are detected, checked and controlled.
1. To find out the different types of frauds committed in the payroll.
2. To find out causes of fraud in the payroll system
3. To find out the step that can be taken to eliminate fraud in the payroll.
4. To find out the category of workers committing fraud in the payroll system.
5. To make recommendations based on the finding of the study
6. To determine the nature and scope of this fraud in payrolls i.e. whether they are fundamental or material.
7. Finally to suggest solution to problems and make recommendation for future prospect.
1.4 RESEARCH HYPOTHESES
For the successful completion of the study, the following research hypotheses were formulated by the researcher;
H0: Fraudulent activities are not experienced.
H1: Fraudulent activities are experienced
H02: progress of an organization is not being individual by fraudulent activities.
H2: progress of an organization is being individual by fraudulent activities.
1.5 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The study is meant to aid payroll system in detecting fraud since the interest of both government and worker is at a risk if unprotected. The study would also aid all other organization that may have a need for assistance in checking fraud, since fraud and some other malpractices are not limited to the ministries alone. It is hoped that the recommendation and suggestion made in the study would help in the growth and development of government ministries as well as business organization and if necessary replace most of their ineffective internal control checks with more effective and perhaps less dangerous one’s. The elimination of the payroll would restore the corporate image of the ministries payroll. Finally, the study would be of immense help to all those who wish to carry out further study of fraud in the ministries payroll or in any other related field.
1.6 SCOPE AND LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
The scope of the study has been limited to the payroll system in Enugu state due to time and proximity. Secondly, due to the sensitive nature of the topic most payrollers are generally not disposed to help for the simple reason that the researcher may have been sent by the internal auditors of the payroll system. It took time to convince the staff to corporate and this was even possible because the researcher was able to prove that he was a student of Institute of Management and Technology (IMT). Thirdly, since most of the payroll systems have the same methods of operations, it is believed that the needs of the researcher would still be met from the study of the samples from Enugu state. The researcher encounters some constrain which limited the scope of the study;
a) AVAILABILITY OF RESEARCH MATERIAL: The research material available to the researcher is insufficient, thereby limiting the study
b) TIME: The time frame allocated to the study does not enhance wider coverage as the researcher has to combine other academic activities and examinations with the study.
c) Organizational privacy: Limited Access to the selected auditing firm makes it difficult to get all the necessary and required information concerning the activities.
1.7 DEFINITION OF TERMS
1. Corporate image: This refers to the goodwill and public image created by an entirely. It could be as a result of making good quality products, offering efficient services and maintain a satisfied work force.
2. Internal control: The plan of an organization and all the co-ordinate method and means adopted within a business to safeguard its assets, check the accuracy data, promote operational efficiency and encourage adherence to prescribed managerial policies.
3. Liquidation: The winding up of a business, is usually as a result of insufficient funds.
4. Forgery: Forgery is the act of falsely making or receiving any writing for the purpose of doing to another person. Any alteration of a writing made with intent to defraud is a forgery. For instance, the forgery of a staff signature.
5. Dummy names: This type of fraud is in a way of including non – existence name in the wages sheets.
6. Falsification of account: This types of fraud is usually committed by the payrollers who are either acting ignorantly, innocently or with proved criminal intent.
7. Forged cheque: Forged cheque with forged signature remain one of the commonest source of fraud, in this case, cheque books are stolen, customers signature are perfectly forged and many successfully with draw from the bank.
The above terms were defined and explained in order to lend charity to the terms.
FRAUDS AND IRREGULARITIES
According to Onovo (2002), the word fraud and irregularity can be termed as errors and this word error is used to refer to unintentional mistake in financial statements whether or mathematical or clerical nature of whether due to over sight or misinterpretation of the relevant facts.
Irregularities: In a general view from the research made, the word is used to refer to intentional distortions of financial statements for whether purpose and misappropriation of assets.
Frauds: Frauds in this aspect is one type of irregularity. This word is used to refer to irregularities involving the use of criminal deception of obtains unjust or illegal advantage.
Management Responsibility: The primary responsibility for the prevention and detection or errors and irregularities rest with management. This responsibility may be party discharged by the institution of an adequate system of internal control. The responsibility of management in this regard is even higher where assets are help in a fiduciary capacity on behalf of the public in a third party as is the case with banks and insurance companies. In addition, the directors of a company are regarded in law as acting in a stewardship capacity concerning the property which is under their control.
1.8 ORGANIZATION OF THE STUDY
This research work is organized in five chapters, for easy understanding, as follows
Chapter one is concern with the introduction, which consist of the (overview, of the study), historical background, statement of problem, objectives of the study, research hypotheses, significance of the study, scope and limitation of the study, definition of terms and historical background of the study. Chapter two highlights the theoretical framework on which the study is based, thus the review of related literature. Chapter three deals on the research design and methodology adopted in the study. Chapter four concentrate on the data collection and analysis and presentation of finding. Chapter five gives summary, conclusion, and recommendations made of the study
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR ACCOUNTING FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. AN EVALUATION OF IMPACT OF COMPUTERIZED ACCOUNTING SYSTEM IN UNITED BANK FOR AFRICA (UBA) NIGERIA PLC KADUNA» ABSTRACT This research was carried out on the topic, problem and prospect of the computerized Accounting system in Nigeria Banks. Using the United Ban...Continue Reading »
2. A COMPARATIVE ANALYSIS OF THE IMPACT OF INVENTORY VALUATION METHODS ON FINANCIAL REPORT STATEMENT IN SOME MANUFACTURING COMPANIES IN ENUGU STATE» ABSTRACT This research work was conducted on with special reference to the impact inventoryvaluation methods has on financial report statements of man...Continue Reading »
3. SEROPREVALENCE OF RUBELLA VIRUS ANTIBODIES AMONG SCHOOL CHILDREN 0-10 YEARS IN JOS, PLATEAU STATE» ABSTRACT Rubella disease occurs worldwide with seasonal variation and affects both the young and elderly and may present as an acute, mild or asymptom...Continue Reading »
» Abstract The study determines and establishes the connection between internal auditing and internal control systems on financial performance in an Ins...Continue Reading »
5. IMPACT OF INVENTORY MANAGEMENT AND CONTROL SYSTEM IN THE PERFORMANCE OF A MANUFACTURING COMPANY IN NIGERIA (A study of Siba Water Company, Ikot Ekpen...» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study When scholars first introduced the word “inventory”, they use the word stocks that ar...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This research work conducted with special reference to the budgetary system of Emenite Nigeria Limited with the view to ascertain the major r...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the study The success or failure of any enterprise can be greatly affected by the efficiency of its stores....Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This study explains the various accoutning ratios that can be used in interpreting financial statements of businesses to determine the financ...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the Study Many people want to be on their own following the nationwide campaign for self employment, this i...Continue Reading »
10. EFFECT OF AUDIT COMMITTEE CHARACTERISTICS ON FINANCIAL REPORTING QUALITY OF LISTED DEPOSIT MONEY BANKS IN NIGERIA» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the Study Corporate financial report provides fundamental information to a wide range of groups; its main p...Continue Reading »